Third times the charm (I hope)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by seamuskrat, Aug 10, 2004.

1. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

I do apologize for having three posts with the same content. But MR has been flaky and my other two posts got eaten by the system....

I have a word document that is password protected to changes.

i can open it, enter text in the text fields, print, etc. but I cannot change the actual document. I have tried save as, copy and paste and no luck.

I have about 100 of these forms, all inherited from a staff member who retired and no one knows the password.

i do not like the idea of recreating all of these just to update a few contact names and emails.

Is there a hack or utility to means to by pass a Protected document with a password?

2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Uhh, I think I know what your talking about.

Select the icon, press command+I to get info, then go down to the tab marked Ownership & Permissions. Change anything necessary so you can 'read and write.'

If that doesn't work, why not just copy and paste all the info over to a new document? ;) :rolleyes:

3. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

What version of Word were they created in and on what platform?

Generally the older the better, some Word version passwords can be decoded instantly.

AppleMatt

4. seamuskrat thread starter macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

We are talking a password within Microsoft Word, not OSX.

As for copy and past, you will see I have tried this and because the document is Protected to changes, this is not possible.

You can create a word document, protect it so you can distribute an online form that is not able to be altered. Much like a PDF file. It was created in Office XP on a PC, and transferred to my machine via CD. I use Office X.

5. seamuskrat thread starter macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

I am beginning to realize this may be impossible. I cannot find info even on a windows machine how to bypass this security.

Funny how MS actually makes a secure file format.... More so than Adobe PDF.

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    No chance of just calling the ex member of staff and just asking the passwords?

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Are any of these files harmless enough that you could post a link and give us a crack at it?

8. emw macrumors G4

emw

9. seamuskrat thread starter macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

Funny you should ask. Sadly they were kinda forced out into retirement and are not the most cooperative ex employee. I tried.

I will try the suggestion sliste dbelow and see.

Thanks