This a Problem?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by peterj1967, Sep 13, 2003.

1. peterj1967 macrumors regular

Was just doing some upkeep on my machine and when running Disk Utilities I ran into a few errors. Must a ran it 10 times and I can't get them repaired. Is it worth going to something like Disk Warrior or Norton to get them fixed? Or any suggestions.

I attached the screen capture of the text

2. alset macrumors 65816

alset

I'd run Disk Warrior if you're concerned. It certainly couldn't hurt. Avoid Norton. Too many reports of nuked drives to take a chance.

Dan

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

forgive the stupid question, but have you repaired permissions? if it's trying to alter a file it cannot, it won't ever fix the problem... but i'm guessing you have, since you're in disk utilities...

a more advanced program might not hurt, the only disk problem that a utility cannot fix would be hardware-- which a more advanced utility should know how to work around. so i would expect something like diskdoctor or diskwarrior would fix it...

i'm going to get flamed for recommending a norton product for OS X :rolleyes:

pnw

4. peterj1967 thread starter macrumors regular

yup

Not a stupid question, but yes I repaired permissions prior to trying disk repair.

5. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Norton is an excellent program. I think symantec is by far the leader in all utility programs for pc and mac.

6. peterj1967 thread starter macrumors regular

Not Quite

Went with Disk warrior, finds the problems, but craps out with an error just as it's finishing. I'll post it later. Ran it a few times to see if it would take care of it, but I seem to have overlapped files it can't fix...

7. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

It's possible (although unlikely) that bad RAM may be to blame. Try removing all the RAM that didn't come with your machine. I doubt it'll be the solution, but I've heard crazier things that work.

8. CMillerERAU macrumors regular

depending on your situation, it may just be time for a good old fashioned reformat. I have the luxury of a large external drive to back all my stuff to but I know many do not so try and find a friend that can lend you some hard drive space if you need. A few CD-RW's could do the trick too.

Reformatting will most likely fix any non-hardware issues with the hard drive and divert around bad sectors if there are any. I recommend reformatting at least once a year for my PC friends and as necessary for macs (could be a year, could be 10, depends on use).

9. CMillerERAU macrumors regular

PS: a good way to transfer to another computer's drives is using target disk mode which turns a mac into a firewire hard drive. Just start one up holding the T key and once you see the firewire symbol on screen plug it in via the firewire port into the second computer and transfer away!

10. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Miller-

Please use the edit function next time. K thx.

11. peterj1967 thread starter macrumors regular

I do have an external I can use for backing things up. Part of cleaning up all the files and such was to get ready to set up a system to have a backup system.

I was hoping to put off a reformat until Panther shows up.

Anyway, here's the story of my problem....

Once a month or maybe a little more often my dp 1.25 Kernel Panics when waking from sleep. It's just enough to really bug me, tried everything, reformat reinstall was a starting point, remove USB devices and drives. I only have a Canon s820 and Epson 1260. didn't fix it. I have a Lacie 80 Gig D2 Fire Wire Drive (my back up drive it also has a bootable system on it) and a Lacie CD Burner. All the devices and drives are pretty current, so I don't think they're the issue. I have spoke with apple and have taken the box to my local Apple fix-it shop, but I can't reproduce the issue and neither could they.

I've ran the Apple Hardware tool for 24 hrs in loop mode with no errors, I have reset the PMU and Zapped the pram, but the once and a while kernel Panics won't go away

Anyhow, the kernel panic is usually followed some other hiccups, so a repair permissions and disk repair usually take care of that. This time, however I have the two cross-linked files. I figured I would move them and run it again, but I can't open the files. The folder they are in has a little red circle with a line through it in the corner, and in the get info window, the owner is system. Can't you do something like log-in as root to get to that stuff????

The files are located Private/Var/Spool/cups/tmp/[File name is about 16 digits of letters and numbers]

I don't know *nix, so I don't know what they are and I can't get to them through the finder, to move or delete them. They seem, by the path name, to be temp files.

12. peterj1967 thread starter macrumors regular

I attached the error I get from Disk Warrior

Attached Files:

13. CMillerERAU macrumors regular

Oh boy that sounds bad. It could be that there was a problem back when the OS was intalled and that's what's causing the strange bugs. Anyway, I'd reformat and see what happens, if it still has problems I'd say its a hardware issue.