This can't be good.

Discussion in 'Community' started by rueyeet, Oct 21, 2004.

1. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

My company is apparently moving from Windows 2000 Pro to Windows XP Pro; a co-worker just got his new PC under our supposedly "three-year" refresh program, and it had XP Pro on it. This makes me a bit antsy, as it's my understanding that 2k is more stable and secure than XP, even the Pro version. Does anyone know how the two compare?

The other odd tidbit is that I am getting an increasing amount of spam touting a "Free Apple iMac G5 Giveaway!!" Huh. I guess something has really made it as a consumer product when spammers use it as a lure for the unwary.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Turn off the eye-candy and XP looks exactly the same as 2000, except XP has far better plug n play etc. It's just as stable, don't worry about it.

3. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

Fun Fact: The Windows Server live, is actully WinXP with some stuff added. If fact, if you go hunting, and turn on the "themes" service, Fisher Price 1.0 popus up!

Fun Fact 2: I use the default blue XP theme. I like it. Don't ask why. I just do. I'm gonna go eat some dry white bread... or maybe a bowl of Easy Mac. Or a glass of milk. Did I mention I don't touch alcohol? Or that I am 15? Am I rambling? Should I get an iMac G5? SHOULD I EVEN EXIST?

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

XP Pro has a little more bloat and eye candy, but there aren't really any major differences from 2000 Pro.

XP Home is missing lots of things and suffers from weird performance problems, but that was a deliberate change.

5. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    i heard on the radio today that windows users prior to XP had to reboot their pc 8% of the time due to crashes, and also that xp is 12% of the time, that 50% more than previous version! they also said that macs weren't included in the researching

:)

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

wow what a weird thread i have stumbled across, with wierd replies too

but yeah i wouldnt worry about XP Pro versus 2000, they are basically the same, and as edesignuk said, the plug an play is a little better

7. winwintoo macrumors 6502

I've been volunteering again all week with the old folks in their windoze computer lab and I'm thinking of getting an old pc to play around with just to see if I can have some fun like they do - maybe I just need to get out more.

What do you think??

:eek:

Margaret

8. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

I dunno about better plug and play. I have a PC with XP Pro and Windows 2000 on it. When I go to shut it down, 2000 properly turns off the machine. XP just goes to the screen where it says "It is safe to turn off your computer" or something like that. I have to reach around to the back and flip the switch off, what a pain! :p

Seriously, you'd think XP would have better support, but nope. Wonder why? :confused: