This Could Be Interesting

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, May 5, 2006.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4974852.stm

Better start mixing that whitewash now. Pity they're not hearing from anyone higher up the chain of excrement.

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Indeed it will be interesting.

Will the U.S. admit to anything? Will it allow the U.N. to take it to the woodshed? Or will Bush's people try to tell the U.N. what they tell us, which is basically "None of your damn business"?

3. iGary Guest

iGary

Psshaw.

War on Terror, of course. :rolleyes:

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Wait, you're telling me the UN can COMPEL us to testify in front of them? This is the United States of gaddamn America, and you're telling me the UN is going to tell US what to do? Not gonna happen. Our macho macho man of a president will tell the UN where to stuff it.

You never know, the UN might lose the top 8 floors before that happens... ;)

5. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

As a matter of interest, which floors does the US occupy?

6. takao macrumors 68040

takao

yeah it's gonna be interesting indeed...

the first thing i heard is that the US is again calling it "isolated cases"

"bad apples" all over again :rolleyes:

7. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Wow! I've just read the questions they're putting to the US. I'm linking to the PDF.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/05_05_06cat.pdf

For instance:
    and
    and
    Pretty uncompromising stuff. Oh, to be a fly on the wall...

8. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I think their main strategy will be two-fold. First, redifine "torture". As in, "We only put him in an air-conditioned room and poured ice cold water on him. That's not torture - taking a blow torch to his feet, now *that's* torture." Second, some form of "national security/pre-911 mindset/how many children must be killed before you commie UN-types realize the world has changed/no comment".

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Are you saying we're worse than Saddam?

or

That's classified and I can't tell you without damaging National Security.

10. badmofo9000 macrumors regular

This will go nowhere. I am suprised the US government even agreed to take their questions.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Well they have to at least pretend to care. If they laughed and shot at the floor yelling "dance pardner", then people might get suspicious. Of course, 2/3s of us and about 90% of the rest of the world already know what's really going on, but if they put on a good show for the masses, some people still fall for it and they have some "good" excuses for the rest of us.

Watch for the U.N. to be important again before we invade Iran because they violated some policy they actually didn't, but then once again unimportant when they all tell us how stupid we are for starting another war for ill-defined reasons that no one else wants to get involved in.

12. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

How many times will they answer "that information is Classified" as a matter
    of national security.

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

sorry, FFTT, that information is classified.

14. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Yes, but what is it classified as?

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

In the ever-thickening file of inconvenient facts that could get in the way of a permanent Republican majority?

IOW, something that matters greatly to those who fly the elephant above the stars and stripes.

16. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

That is part of an ongoing investigation and we cannot comment on it until it's no longer under investigation. Next.

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

at which point, "people will have already moved past it."

18. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

We've already commented on that previously and we have nothing to add.

19. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Smoking Guns.pdf ;)

20. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

As a side note, I'm hearing more and more commentators saying the reason the people the US government does have in custody who played a direct role in the 9/11 attacks are not on trial is that in any kind of hearing the use of torture by the US government would come into play. Folks like Khalid Sheikh Mohammed should be the ones placed on trial for these crimes, but it would be impossible for the Bush administration to explain before any court what they have been doing during all of his, and others, time in captivity. What are we going to do with these guys? Is it the plan of the Bush administration to just have them "disappear" with no trial? Somewhere, I remember our nation was supposed to against this kind of conduct. I guess we are all required to cover our eyes and ears and pretend we don't notice the rest of the world wondering WTF happened to the USA.

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oh for sure. There's no way we could try Ramzi bin-al-Shib without discussing where he's been and what he's been through since his capture. And as time goes on it's going to get harder and harder for the Bushies to justify holding them 'for their intelligence value.

What will really piss me off is if we end up having to let these criminals out at some point because of Bush's hubris, rather than being justifiably able to lock them up for the duration of their lives.

22. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yeah, people forget that part. We have these things called "rights" in this country. We're supposed to at least. Of course, most of these people won't ever make it to a trial anyway. Feel better?

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Not really. These are the people we KNOW are guilty of being involved in planning 9/11. Imagine how much it will suck if 10 or 20 years from now Zacharias Moussoui is rotting in a maximum security prison and Khalid Sheik Mohommed is a free man because GWB couldn't be bothered with such trivial matters as 'proof' and 'hearings'.

24. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I wouldn't hold my breath on any meaningful investigations until after the
    November Congressional elections determine which way the scales of justice will lean.