This enrages me.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by sethypoo, Jan 24, 2004.

1. sethypoo macrumors 68000

Most people would agree that God=love.

The Crusades and blood wars and other *human* instances of religion aside, the following site is not in anyway what I believe God would ever, ever condone.

God Hates Fags.com

This is one sick site. How anyone could ever do something like this is beyond me. I hate to publicize it by posting it here, but I feel something needs to be done. I know about freedom of speech and all of that, but this seems to be a little much. The 1st Amendment is one of America's finest laws, but with it comes a certain amount of caution, since certain forms of speech are in fact illegal (libel, crying "fire" in a theater, and hateful speech). This site looks as though it falls neatly under the "hateful" category.

2. pooky macrumors 6502

Actually, hate speach is protected speach. You might be confusing hate speach with hate crimes. Committing some other crime against a person (i.e. assault) for an obviously bigoted or hateful reason results in a harsher punishment than might otherwise be given out. But speach in iteslf is still protected. While I may not agree with the people who would publish such a site, I would defend their right to do so.

3. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Re: This enrages me.

You're veering into dangerous territory. I'm not sure which sickens me more, the contents of that website or restricting free speech because it's "a little much." :rolleyes:

4. sethypoo thread starter macrumors 68000

In response to pooky: I don't know, I just remember my AP Civics course, and how hate speech was not protected.

5. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Well this article begs to differ

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-965983.html

Also,

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Nothing in the first admendment say anything about "hate speech" being different.

I am not condoning the website, but in the US you have to realize that people are going to have different views. If you want to disagree with them, then setup the "God Hates Fag Haters.com" website.

Freedom of speech is all or nothing, we can't change it just because it offends "you". (you is used in the general form)

6. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    i just wanna know if the guy that wrote that site has a dog :rolleyes: ... being that they're filthy n' all...hmm, wonder what he thinks of dog owners come to that :rolleyes:

7. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I've found the more rabid the gay basher, the stronger the likelihood they themselves come out of the closet a few years later.

8. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Maybe it's just a deep hatred for themselves that causes them to lash out??

9. sethypoo thread starter macrumors 68000

Nor does it say you can't shout "fire!" in a crowded theater, but we all know that's not ok.

I wouldn't ever set up a site like that because I don't appreciate or agree with the original site (God hates fags.com).

The reason I started this thread was to bring to light one extreme in the whole gays vs. religion debate that several threads here on MR have gone over. I thought it appropriate, and I didn't mean it to turn into a debate about the 1st Amendment, though I see how some who can't get the point of this thread would take it as such.

10. sethypoo thread starter macrumors 68000

I have a friend who went through the same thing Powerbook G5 said. He hated gays with a passion, but in the end (after a year of gay bashing) he turned gay himself, and is now very happy with life in general. He even found a church that accepts him.

11. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Free speach is a difficult concept to understand.

As long as nobody gets hurt, well you can say anything you like, though lies should be avoided (see the "fire in a theatre" post).
    But when speach starts repressing people's freedom (like being racists, homophobic, etc) you're venturing on slipery ground. Is it still my freedom to say something if it's walking all over someone else's freedom (the right to be different)?

Here is drawn a thin line between democracy and dictatorship.

12. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Hmmm...I believe it's satire, is it not? After all, if you click enter (after barely being able to stomach that first Intro page), you'll see a link to 'God Hates America.' Now what good, God-fearing Baptist home page would ever, I mean ever, link to a site that preached such content as that?

This, like most disgustingly extremist sites, is a commentary on the sad state of the minds of many in this country.

13. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Did you not go to the pictures and look at the little kids holding up the signs??

!CAUTION! Not for those with weak stomaches.

14. sethypoo thread starter macrumors 68000

Thank you so much for that post. I appreciate intelligence!

Freedom of speech is hard to understand and follow at times. This site is protected, but that doesn't mean I can't #$%@ and moan about it!:D

15. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

argh, this is a little off topic.... I can't beleive those pictures on "godhatesfags.com". That is just sick that they brainwash little children to hate "fags" and probably blacks and jews for that matter.:mad:

Also, what does getting AIDS have to do with being a "fag"?

16. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

Stop giving the site traffic. It only encourages them.

17. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Well. i'm as expert on the phelps clan as anyone can be, i've followed their ministry for years, and was once personally picketed (they even burned a flag on the steps of the Iowa capitol building during that one, i felt honored). And as recently as November, I embraced and kissed my partner just feet from a group of them. The brief overview is this.

Fred Phelps Sr. is a hateful old man that has spent his life in the pursuit of a Personal Relationship with Christ through spousal and child abuse. He is a true baptist revival minister, warped by a good degree of mental illness that seems genetic. I think Phelps Sr. is the only one in his family (read: church) that does not believe what he preaches. I think he gets off on being incredibly cruel, getting attention, and mostly getting money. His kids and grandkids have been brainwashed in the truest sense of the word, to be dismal hollow shells of human beings that follow his every word. They do seem to believe the message they're sending... Which makes them more dangerous.

Unfortunately, his children must be treated as victims, as the child abuse they endured was unimaginable-- they never stood a chance. And they seem to live in a constant hell now, driven by Fred Sr. Two of the Phelps children escaped the tightly-secured cult, and have recounted their childhood:

Addicted to Hate: The Fred Phelps Exposé

It's very long but an excellent look into situations of extreme mental illness and abuse.

Fred runs a fine line with free speech. If his ministry was devoted to just preaching against homosexuality, it would be one thing-- of course he has the right to do that. But, he makes a mockery of the judicial system with frivilous lawsuits (almost all of the numerous children are/were attorneys before being disbarred for unethical conduct), has been involved in the aforementioned child abuse, and uses the bible as a defense to urge violence against the gay community. These things can't be ignored.

fortunately, Phelps does everything in his power to discredit himself, including the ever-popular funeral picketing, the website godhatesamerica.com, and slogans like "FDNY FAGS" and "THANK GOD FOR 9/11". If i weren't so sure of the nonexistance of the "gay agenda", i'd think he was working for us, to promote sympathy for our cause. Needless to say, Topeka has rejected his antics by opening their arms to the gay population. Seems Fred is killing tourism.

paul

18. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

that's as stupid as saying the more pleasant the Gay person the more likely they are to actually turn out to be straight.

or

the more rapid about "animal rights" a gay person is the more likely they are to turn out to be a closet animal torturer.

If I ever beat the living daylights out of a Gay person it will be because they were STUPID and the only reason I would know they were gay is because odds are they wouldn't stop whining about gay rights afterwards.

I wonder how many Gay people have beaten up straight people? (especially the closet (gay/straight) ones, they're the worst. :) )

I object to many "Gay" rights. That does not put me in the ONE other catagory that seems to be classed as Homophobic/Gay Basher. Please would all the judgemental gay people stop being so judgemental about things, unless you secretly just like arguing about stuff, in which case I just like fighting with people who are judgemental (all of them, in a nonjudgemental kind of way), just enough as to not get me into too much bother legally or physically. :)

I love this world.

19. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

There's a different correlation between being "pleasant" or having concern for animals and living a life with a powerful emotion like hate weighing you down.

You beat up stupid people? That's criminal. The only reason I could think to physically harm another person is for self-defence (unless I'm playing hockey, when it's often done on principle/revenge/for the team/protecting the goalie).

You strike me as being a hateful character.

Why would you object to the equal legal and human rights of anyone?

20. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

wow, you just don't want to get it.

You're just trying to win an argument that has no winners. This is not a case where anybody can claim greater intelligence. Do you really think there would be so much passion in the world over this subject if it were so simple a question.

Obviously, I don't go around being violent toward others, I can't believe you needed to score a point with that, the one with the highest score won't win. This questions only painless answer is tolerance. The world is natural and if it's going to change it will change. You will not educate people who do not want to be educated. You can force them to agree without killing them, but you will not change them unless you remove them from the game.

Again, this is not a case of with us or aginst us. That is not a true picture of the opinions involved.

Things that are stretched have a habit of slapping back.

wouldn't life be more simple if we all agreed. etc. etc.

Please do not split hairs over points of elasticity, it will be a hollow victory.

21. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

These guys came to my school district to protest the gay-straight alliance in one of the schools. There were like six people there, and a buch of them were little kids. It was kinda funny that they thought that people in NY would even think of siding with them.

There was some counter-protest ,but I didn't go. Maybe I should have. :confused:

22. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Actually, yes...

Usually people are so against something because they feel some type of "threat" from it, usually a threat is to oneself is the thing that causes the most violence. To illuminate, a person that is violently opposed to gays being around them is probably because they are vulnerable to those type of people. Just like I don't like it when people smoke around me, because personally, I have the temptation to join them, so I always complain about thier smoking...its just human nature.

P.S People also frequently are outwardly the opposite to how they trully are on the inside, this is to keep societly from learning how they really are (for some reason or another), the rabid animal tourturer who is also an animal rights activist is very valid. How about drug police that take the very drugs they busted? Happens all the time.

23. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

hope I don't wind up in front of you with a jury.

What's the quote?

"Oh, it's quite normal to dress in your wife's clothes, I know I like to"

So if I'm only slightly concerned with the progress of Gay rights, that must make me a little bit gay.:)

he he, I must be a closet liberal too.

24. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

No, Not necessarily. I said people feel threatened by it, that means in "some way." I also said, usually its because of something personal to themselves. I didn't say you were.

25. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Re: This enrages me.

If you're in the US, you do get to express any point of view, even if it's ugly.

Where that 1st amendment stuff gets neat is that everyone gets the same protection to say what they want; including offering counterpoints to the ugly stuff.

Really, would you rather have people like that driven underground, or have them out in the daylight where you can see what they're up to?