This is a scam, right?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Edot, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Edot macrumors 6502

I found this auction on ebay. The discription is in the exact order that it would be listed on the apple.com store page when all of the pull downs are selected with the best items. This system would be 13,000+. I saw another one like it the other day, don't remeber if it was the same guy. This would be a unbelievable deal, but I wouldn't want to be out 2,200 dollars. The fact it is so unbelievable is why I believe it is a scam. What do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2754163255&category=4607

2. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

yep. its a scam.

he has never sold anything before.

- Doc

3. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Question is is who did he steal this from? Maybe an Apple Store rep trying to make some extra cash. I wouldn't NOT go for anything like this.. more over I would report suspicion to ebay.

4. cubist macrumors 68020

Scam city! The guy has no computer for sale. He's probably in Romania and will insist on Western Union money transfer.

5. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

It's safe to say any time you see an auction requiring pre-approval from an individual buyer, it's a big fat scam. Report to Ebay immediately.

6. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

Rule number 1: Be wary of any expensive auction that doesn't post *actual* photos of the *actual* item in question.

Rule number 2: Any auction that offers every single upgrade option chosen, and is still less than the base price, simply do not trust.

For fun I went to the apple store online and figured out how much this would cost. The grand total: $13,930.90

On a somewhat funny note, I found it interesting that in his description, he upgraded everything except for the video card. Also, he must have copied the info a while ago. No iSight and only a 30GB iPod.

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

if you see this:

"Note: This listing is restricted to pre-approved bidders or buyers only."

it's a scam.

If you really want to verify this for yourself, e mail him and say you'd love to buy, but can only use escrow.com. See what he says.

8. mac pac macrumors newbie

i did email the guy, he says he lives in italy and he gets great deals with computers.............fishy eh

9. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

To get $11,000 off of a computer, it would have had to either been a gift, or stolen, or non-existent.

The funny thing is, I bet most of these scams would have a chance if they advertised reasonable products at non-super-discounted prices. They'd make even more money.

10. manzanita macrumors member

IF you look again you will see that he has "sold" something ... posted today ... another non-existent computer, same specs. I feel really bad for the guy he scammed... looks like he paid $4500 for nada.

11. Edot thread starter macrumors 6502

WOW

Now the guy is asking 3,300 and changed his username! Maybe he is reading these forums and getting some ideas.:rolleyes: I don't know if the guy who won the other auction paid for the item or not, but this guy is ridiculous.