This is a serious question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Stinkythe1, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Stinkythe1 macrumors regular

Mar 30, 2005
    I had a previous question that was moved for some strange reason, but this is a question that I am really conserned about. I mean, I don't want to accidently do this. And I really want to know what would happen.

Is it possible to accidently stick 2 disks into the slotload drive? Will it not let you? Will it damage the drive? Ect...

I'd like an answer, not get this post moved again. :mad:
  2. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    No, if there's one in there, the mechanism won't let you put another one it. You'll be able to start sliding it in the slot but it won't go past much more than an inch before it stops thereby giving you a clue to check what's already in there
  3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    Whilst I have to say that if this got Wastelanded once it will probably get Wastelanded again: You generally can't stick a second CD in as the first is in the way and the slot is only big enough for one. If you manage to force a second one in I would imagine that both CDs would be damaged and the drive might well be damaged itself. You would have to really force it though.
  4. mherz macrumors member

Aug 11, 2004

Why do you want to do that???
    (Without wanting to ask something intimate) Give us some clue why you would ever want to put two disks in the same drive, and why this is so important to you?
  5. EHUnlucky7x9@ao macrumors 6502

Jan 8, 2006
    New Jersey
    You can't put two discs in a slot load unless you force it. Then you would hear a snap, crackle, pop. Viola! The 2nd disc has been forced in your machine.

In a tray load CD drive, it is possible to have two discs. I accidently did that with my PowerMac... the two discs spun and the drive still read the bottom CD. Luckily it didn't break the Superdrive. :-D
  6. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA
    nobody would want to do this.

what i could imagine: if clueless family members around using your mac it WILL happen. it would be good to know what breaks if somebody tries. the consequence would be to NEVER let a cd in your mac when you're not there.

btw.: a friend of mine tried exactly that on my PB because she had no idea about slot loading drives. fortunately she didn't force the cd in but i can see it happen.
  7. lexfuzo macrumors 6502

Mar 15, 2005
    The heart of Europe
    When did anyone say that he wants to do that?
    Are you familiar with the meaning of the word accidentally?