This is driving me crazy, can someone help?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CaptainCaveMann, Dec 20, 2006.

1. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

Oct 5, 2004
    First off im using Tiger if that makes a difference. Anyway, im trying to design a website in text edit using simple html code, and when i want to preview it in safari, i save the document as html then i open it using safari and it wont show up! All i see in the browser window is my html tags. This is driving me crazy cause i cant figure out what im doing wrong. Ahhhh! :confused:
  2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    Use Format->Make plain text in TextEdit before you save the html file.

You still want to add the .html extension when you save the file, but this will give you actual HTML source code instead of a formatted document that happens to look like HTML.

This will make more sense after you try it :)

[ Edit: I forgot another thing you'll need to know so that you can open HTML files and see the source code. In TextEdit preferences, under the Open and Save tab, check "when opening a file: ignore rich text commands in HTML files" ]
  3. bozigle macrumors regular

I use Jedit ( but for no particular reason, it does a bit of hightlight on the tags but not much more.

4. janitorC7 macrumors 6502a

Feb 10, 2006
    North Hollywood, CA
    just use any text editor that does not process. Wordpad type thing

P.S. Windows sucks
  5. toddburch macrumors 6502a

Dec 4, 2006
    Katy, Texas
    Go into TextEdit preferences and check the option that says to save in plain text (and not in rich text). I had the same problem a couple weeks ago and it ate my lunch for about 3 hours. Exact same scenario - I was writing html code.

6. epochblue macrumors 68000

Aug 12, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Tried a different editor?

As others have mentioned, if you're going to use TextEdit, use it in Plain Text mode.

However, if you're going to be writing a fair amount HTML I recommend an editor that will do syntax highlighting and other helpful functions.

Smultron, even though its icons are awful, was always a fine editor for me. I've since upgraded to TextMate, but Smultron is a solid freeware option.