This *is* global warming, says environmental chief

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Sep 23, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

(emphasis in title theirs)

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

And here I thought this was all because of those darn environmentalists. Or was it an act of God. I forget which. Either way, I'll wait for further proof before I make up my mind. ;) (cuz, you know... that's what Bush has been saying about global warming for years now)

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Zim, yer right, but yer wrong. These 'canes are man made, but not in the way those tree hugger psueudo-scientists think. Specifically, Katrina was made by the Yakuza Mafia using a Russian-made electromagnetic generator in an obvious attempt at revenge for Japan getting nuked 60 years ago.

link

Lethal

4. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

wow. at first, i thought it was a joke link. but then... wow.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

http://www.weatherwars.info/katrina.htm

:confused:

...and of course, every conspiracy theorist's favorite scientist, Nikola Tesla is roped into the mix as well.

What irritates me about this sort of stuff, is that it's difficult to rebut unless you know something about meteorology. Many people will accept this as gospel truth because it sounds impressive. He shows a picture of a cloud and states that its shape is an impossible natural phenomenon — who am I to know better?

6. iGary Guest

iGary

I don't know what to think about global warming either way, but holy smoke Batman, this guy is definitive:

"Very probably!!!!"

OMG WTF!!!

7. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

And on the eve of the storm all Americans can think of is "will I be able to drive my car tomorrow??!??". Cars, pollution (among other things), and this state of mind being what is causing global warming in the first place.

Sigh... :rolleyes: :(

_Emerson

8. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

After all this "global warming is a myth" from Bush, they finally figure it out :rolleyes:

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

How would you suggest obtaining positive proof?

10. iGary Guest

iGary

That's one side of the argument, isn't it then?

How do we take this as gospel?

Again, I'd be an idiot to suggest that global warming was a hoax or a myth...but "very probably" did not sound very "scientific" to me.

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Nobody can agree with any certainty

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4276242.stm

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Warmer Oceans = bigger storms its not rocket science. Here is something interesting though, over at Fox yesterday they asked their readers(right wingers) if they thought that global warming was happening and over 60% of them said no? I guess since its not in the Bible and George denies it they ignore all science. Thats scary. They deny warmer oceans just as they deny the glaciers are shrinking? what kind of science is that?................................................ its spin science paid for by the MegaCorporations, Fed to all who will listen by the Republican Party.

13. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

You don't :rolleyes: Since when is a destructive hurricane good news?

14. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Isn't it obvious? The problem is the lack of pirates!

[​IMG]

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Are you saying there are less pirates because there are more hurricanes (which in a way makes sense), or that there are more hurricanes because there are less pirates?

16. ~loserman~ macrumors 6502a

Your data MUST BE WRONG....
    There are way more Pirates today than ever in History.

Just ask the RIAA

17. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

hahahahaha that was awesome, loserman i love thee. :)

18. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

It's been said that the earth goes through climatological changes every tens of thousands of years. Global warming seems to me more of an interpretive art than hard science.
    We tend to forget our planet is incredibly dynamic. First it was El Nino, then La Nina. Now global warming.
    I'm not saying humans aren't contributing to the fray; but, this science has been around for just 200 years. We need to think more on a geological scale. And that's thousands of years.
    In that perspective, what is happening isn't all that surprising at all. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that we're overdue for a catacalysmic planetary event. The tsunami in the Pacific is just a reminder.

19. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It's the dirt, some studies say that dirt has been releasing carbon dioxide ...

So if we eliminated the dirt, and live on a frozen ball of water -- we won't have global warming issues.

But that may mean relocating to one of Jupiters moons. :(

20. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i don't fully understand the pain mechanism, so i'm keeping my hand on this burning stove until i do.

i believe there is a fallacy of logic to claim 1) global warming is natural, and then conclude 2) therefore, we don't have to change our habits.

if 1), then it is even more imperative we change our habits, if we believe those habits exacerbate the problem.

so, do you believe that man has zero effect on temperature? it sounds like you don't.

21. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Skepticism is a healthy state of mind and yes, the planet is incredibly dynamic but take a look at the polar ice situation. If half of it melts, a good third of the world is doomed. It's been melting pretty rapidly these last few years.

200 years isn't much but by looking into the planet's past it's pretty obvious that there have been cataclysmic events and that life for us poor homo sapiens wasn't too comfy after the fact. It would seem prudent to start preparing for the inundation of coastal cities and the desertification of midwest farm land WHETHER OR NOT this current phase has been caused by humans or not.

I would add that the burning of fossil fuels should also be curtailed but since the supply is running out we'll not have much choice before long. Curtailing consumption in general would also be a good idea but that would certainly destroy the US economy and send us into another Great Depression, so I guess we'll just let nature take its course and let the "Left Behind" crowd go into paroxysms of joy that their myth is finally turning into reality.

22. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

But now i read an article on the BBC stating that after a hot summer all these plants are releasing CO2 so it isn't humans fault at all its those damn freaking plants.

Kill them all

Plant genocide

23. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

my degree's not in science (oh wait, yes it is), but i'd always understood that plants, the vegetation kind, consumed CO2 and released O2.

or are you talking about plants, the factory kind?

24. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Yes, we have had climate changes before, but nothing on this scale in the past 3 million years

25. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

sorry for the lack of the link

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4269066.stm

(i am a science major too ;)