This is going to sound wierd but - Do you need a keyboard to set up the Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by GreyFox1221, Jun 23, 2005.

1. GreyFox1221 macrumors regular

All I have is a BT keyboard. I have a USB mouse but thats it. I also have PC keyboards but there aren't any ports for them. I just need to install the Keyboard software. I don't think I will be able to without a keyboard though :(

EDIT: I became a MacRumors Member today. So long newbie! :D

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

You realize you can get a USB keyboard for around $10, don't you? Even if all you need to use it for is setting up, it's still probably worth it. The best part is, you won't need to worry about whether it's a crappy keyboard, because you won't be using it after you set up.

It's highly doubtful that you can set up your mini without a keyboard.

3. GreyFox1221 thread starter macrumors regular

Sweet! I though they would be 30+ thanks a lot. :D

4. Linkjeniero macrumors 6502

Just go to the Preference Pane, Bluetooth Preferences, Adjustements (the first tab), and check the second box. That makes Mac OS X detect your keyboard right after it boots. Hope it helps

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

GreyFox1221 was referring to set-up, such as installing OS X. The installer won't accept BT keyboards or mice due to security issues (pairing and such). Also, you cannot start off of a CD with only a BT keyboard-- you have to press and hold "C" while starting up, which causes Open Firmware to do some slightly different stuff than normal. A BT keyboard wouldn't be 'activated' until the login prompt otherwise.

6. Linkjeniero macrumors 6502

Oh, ok... my bad :eek:
    Still, there might be a way. Your mini has Panther installed and you want to install Tiger, I pressume? In that case, I think you can put the Tiger DVD on the computer while on Panther, open it with Finder, and double click on Install Tiger (or something like that). You'll get a message asking to reboot; do so, and the installation process should start without the need of holding anything.

7. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

Plus for those PC keyboards you can get PS2 to USB adapters.

8. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

What does Apple expect people who buy only a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse with their Mac to do? I know they used to sell (probably still do) the iMac G5 with the option to get a Bluetooth module, BT keyboard and BT mouse all for $99 extra.

9. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I was wondering the same thing, especially after the new iMac updates. All iMacs come with BT installed and wireless keyboard and mouse is only a $60 add on. I think it's an outstanding deal but I was surprised to learn you need a wired mouse and keyboard to go through initial boot up.

10. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

I don't know about the mac mini, but my iMac G5 Rev A (with bluetooth installed) did not require a wired keyboard. Pairing with the keyboard and mouse occurred during the set-up process.

11. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I would be very shocked if you were required to use a wired keyboard out of the box. I could be wrong, but that seems *very* unlikely.

12. cardiac dave macrumors regular

cardiac dave

It seems as if every new box comes with an adapter to use a USB keyboard or mouse with a PS2 input... but I've never seen a PS2 to USB adapter that was included.

thinking backwards?

13. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Must be smoking something...

Who EVER read that you needed a wired KB and Mouse for setup? The first thing the mac checks for is the presence of a BT KB and/or mouse during startup.

14. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

:eek:

Musta changed recently... but I DO know that stuff like starting off of a CD, starting into FWTDM, zapping PRAM, verbose startups, starting into OF, and displaying all bootable volumes, are all either impossible or harder with a BT keyboard.

15. Cuckoo macrumors 6502

I've installed two systems <an iMac and an PowerMac> with only a bluetooth mouse and keybard and no USB device what so ever. And a Powerbook, but that's a dead giveaway....

For the first part of the install, a mouse is all you need.... after the copying of the files and installing of OS X then the OS pairs with a keyboard.

So, the answer to your question is yes.

16. GreyFox1221 thread starter macrumors regular

I was reading through my manual for the M&KB (the Mini [my first mac] is still in china) and it said I needed one. Thanks for all the help.

17. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Yes, you can. I setup my mac mini with only the bluetooth mouse and keyboard I ordered with it. Nooooo problem at all.

18. RJP31484 macrumors regular

another affirmation that I was able to set up my imac G5 without a problem with the BT M&KB that came with it. That was the first step in setting it up.

19. RJP31484 macrumors regular

You can buy adapters that go both ways at any radioshack for a dollar or two.

20. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

I highly doubt you need a wired keyboard. This isn't Windows.