Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GreyFox1221

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
All I have is a BT keyboard. I have a USB mouse but thats it. I also have PC keyboards but there aren't any ports for them. I just need to install the Keyboard software. I don't think I will be able to without a keyboard though :(

EDIT: I became a MacRumors Member today. So long newbie! :D

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
You realize you can get a USB keyboard for around $10, don't you? Even if all you need to use it for is setting up, it's still probably worth it. The best part is, you won't need to worry about whether it's a crappy keyboard, because you won't be using it after you set up.

It's highly doubtful that you can set up your mini without a keyboard.

Linkjeniero

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2005
GreyFox1221 said:
All I have is a BT keyboard. I have a USB mouse but thats it. I also have PC keyboards but there aren't any ports for them. I just need to install the Keyboard software. I don't think I will be able to without a keyboard though :(

Just go to the Preference Pane, Bluetooth Preferences, Adjustements (the first tab), and check the second box. That makes Mac OS X detect your keyboard right after it boots. Hope it helps

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Linkjeniero said:
Just go to the Preference Pane, Bluetooth Preferences, Adjustements (the first tab), and check the second box. That makes Mac OS X detect your keyboard right after it boots. Hope it helps

GreyFox1221 was referring to set-up, such as installing OS X. The installer won't accept BT keyboards or mice due to security issues (pairing and such). Also, you cannot start off of a CD with only a BT keyboard-- you have to press and hold "C" while starting up, which causes Open Firmware to do some slightly different stuff than normal. A BT keyboard wouldn't be 'activated' until the login prompt otherwise.

Linkjeniero

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2005
Oh, ok... my bad :eek:
Still, there might be a way. Your mini has Panther installed and you want to install Tiger, I pressume? In that case, I think you can put the Tiger DVD on the computer while on Panther, open it with Finder, and double click on Install Tiger (or something like that). You'll get a message asking to reboot; do so, and the installation process should start without the need of holding anything.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
What does Apple expect people who buy only a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse with their Mac to do? I know they used to sell (probably still do) the iMac G5 with the option to get a Bluetooth module, BT keyboard and BT mouse all for $99 extra.

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
mduser63 said:
What does Apple expect people who buy only a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse with their Mac to do? I know they used to sell (probably still do) the iMac G5 with the option to get a Bluetooth module, BT keyboard and BT mouse all for $99 extra.
I was wondering the same thing, especially after the new iMac updates. All iMacs come with BT installed and wireless keyboard and mouse is only a $60 add on. I think it's an outstanding deal but I was surprised to learn you need a wired mouse and keyboard to go through initial boot up.

Scottyk9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
Canada
Josh396 said:
I was wondering the same thing, especially after the new iMac updates. All iMacs come with BT installed and wireless keyboard and mouse is only a $60 add on. I think it's an outstanding deal but I was surprised to learn you need a wired mouse and keyboard to go through initial boot up.

I don't know about the mac mini, but my iMac G5 Rev A (with bluetooth installed) did not require a wired keyboard. Pairing with the keyboard and mouse occurred during the set-up process.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
I would be very shocked if you were required to use a wired keyboard out of the box. I could be wrong, but that seems *very* unlikely.

cardiac dave

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2005
iToronto
bodeh6 said:
Plus for those PC keyboards you can get PS2 to USB adapters.

It seems as if every new box comes with an adapter to use a USB keyboard or mouse with a PS2 input... but I've never seen a PS2 to USB adapter that was included.

thinking backwards?

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Must be smoking something...

Who EVER read that you needed a wired KB and Mouse for setup? The first thing the mac checks for is the presence of a BT KB and/or mouse during startup.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
appleretailguy said:
Who EVER read that you needed a wired KB and Mouse for setup? The first thing the mac checks for is the presence of a BT KB and/or mouse during startup.

:eek:

Musta changed recently... but I DO know that stuff like starting off of a CD, starting into FWTDM, zapping PRAM, verbose startups, starting into OF, and displaying all bootable volumes, are all either impossible or harder with a BT keyboard.

Cuckoo

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
The Netherlands - Utrecht
I've installed two systems <an iMac and an PowerMac> with only a bluetooth mouse and keybard and no USB device what so ever. And a Powerbook, but that's a dead giveaway....

For the first part of the install, a mouse is all you need.... after the copying of the files and installing of OS X then the OS pairs with a keyboard.

So, the answer to your question is yes.

GreyFox1221

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
I was reading through my manual for the M&KB (the Mini [my first mac] is still in china) and it said I needed one. Thanks for all the help.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Yes, you can. I setup my mac mini with only the bluetooth mouse and keyboard I ordered with it. Nooooo problem at all.

RJP31484

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
pdpfilms said:
Yes, you can. I setup my mac mini with only the bluetooth mouse and keyboard I ordered with it. Nooooo problem at all.

another affirmation that I was able to set up my imac G5 without a problem with the BT M&KB that came with it. That was the first step in setting it up.

RJP31484

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
cardiac dave said:
It seems as if every new box comes with an adapter to use a USB keyboard or mouse with a PS2 input... but I've never seen a PS2 to USB adapter that was included.

thinking backwards?

You can buy adapters that go both ways at any radioshack for a dollar or two.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.