This is good ram?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by illegalprelude, Jan 21, 2007.

1. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

Mar 10, 2005
    Los Angeles, California
    Hey you guys and gals, I got a powermac G5 (1.6ghz) with 1GB of ram and she has been great to me the last 3 years :) (its PC2700 btw)

now, im looking to up the ram in this bad boy. So some questions, A.Is my PMG5 dual channel? B. If so, does it really help to get dual channel ram or not? and C. what do we think of this ram because when I built my PC a few months back, I used DDR2 HyperX 4200 dual channel ram and so I love the Kingston I got (spent $350!) but of course my Mac is older so it only needs PC2700, so is this fine? NewEgg

thanks and any input is appreciated
  2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Yes, all G5 towers are dual channel and require RAM in pairs.

No, the Kingston ValueRAM is not a good choice - it has been widely reported as incompatible in G5s, especially the iMac G5. Kingston's only RAM that they guarantee compatible is the KTA-G5400/512 and KTA-G5400/1G

I recommend that you look for a reputable seller who tests and guarantees compatibility with your model Mac, offers a lifetime warranty, and a no-cost (no restocking charge or shipping) return if it doesn't work.

MR Readers in the USA most often recommend Crucial, OWC (MacSales) and Data Memory Systems