This is interesting.... :)

Discussion in 'Community' started by digital1, Jul 15, 2002.

1. digital1 macrumors 6502

digital1

2. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    ms feels the heat

i think m$ might be feeling a little heat from apple.

its not like m$ is that worried about market share but it can't feel that good to be known as the company with almost no innovation.

looks like the gloves are gonna comeoff and we're gonna see some fisticuffs.

wohoo, about time.

3. digital1 thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

Yup ;)

Yup I feel what you are saying. I mean what has M$ really innovated in? They're just mad "Little Apple" done growed up all now. LOL Its quite funny actually. ;)

4. iGav macrumors G3

It is indeed very interesting..........

The movements Apple has been making recently..... such as purchasing companies and stopping Windows support etc..... changing over default browsers, and having the iChat app connecting to the lesser of 2 evils is bound to rub people up the wrong way at Microsoft........

It's going to be very interesting to see how Microsoft fully respond to what Apple are doing....... rather than just announcing a few releases before a Apple EXPO...... to try and divert attention.......

Personally I feel that this could get very, very heavy......... and I'm not entirely sure who'll come out on top......

5. digital1 thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

good point

You make a good point iGav with that. Its going to be hard to see who's going to be on top. Also I do agree that those were very low moves by M$ to try to divert attention. Its very childish.

6. iGav macrumors G3

Re: good point

Well thank you I try to please.... :p

It seems that Apple certainly have MS rattled....... and at the moment it certainly appears to me that Apple are taking their own course at the moment..... what with their current Switch campaign, and the release of the iApps, and eMac......

As the article said....

"But Apple, when it comes to the real productive space---whether it's artists, architects or musicians--owns that market. Apple is going to continue to drive that down to typical day-to-day consumers."

They're certainly targetting the average consumer as well what with the Applestores and iApps.......... they're making real inroads here........ and they're still doing exceptionally well in education....

Interms of who will come out on top....... I don't think Apple will ever really rival MS in the corporate workspace on it's own..... but if we see more countries and govenments changing from MS products (as have been doing) then all this will help contribute to reduce the power that MS currently wield over any company that rubs them up the wrong way........

I personally feel that Apple are positioning themselves ready to take advantages of any shall we say misfortunes that may occur to MS over the coming few years.....

Just a thought....... ;)

7. digital1 thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

Good stuff

Yup. We are starting to see governments especially get irritated at M$ over their stupid licensing rules. A lot of them are starting to swtich to other OS's, especially Linux. If they can tap into this "irritated" market than we can see a lot of growth for Apple. Considering the fact that OSX supports networking standards including Windows networking standards, I can forsee this as market for apple to gain growth. Aggrevated System admins and cheap IT managers. Even though the Xserve is still missing a few things, who knows what this or other Macworlds have in store for the Xserve. Overall the the TCO for Apple products are much lower than windows (unless there is something I overlooked please tell) Apple is making all the right moves I think in terms of that market. Its going to be interesting to see what other services they offer.

8. King Cobra macrumors 603

Re: Re: good point

>Well thank you I try to please.... :p
    Hey, iGavina! Stay away from the night clubs and money, as I'm sure you can find other ways to do so! :eek: :D :D :eek:

We have all seen the copycats of Apple's best products, from the TiPbG4 all the way to the iPod. Now m$ is copying off Apple's Expo. I can't imagine what the speech is like...

"Yes. I am Phill Plates and I would like to demonstrate some distant aditives to our peecees to the day before Apple takes over. I do say additives, because if we called these features, people would think that it's a positive thing.

Considering that there is an important Apple Expo, that will once again change the way in which computer users see Macs, I have decided to put on my diapers, suck on a passafier (sp) and eat out of a jar, just so I can get attention. I realize that I an acting childish, and I plan to continue screwing Apple's promos, products, and future plans, along with providing the peecee world some useless !!!! to help make the peecee crash faster and heavier, with an uglier modification in the case." :D :D :D :D

9. digital1 thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

LOL

LOL good stuff Cobra :-D Didn't know you cared about a little macrumors.com user! LOL :rolleyes: :) But your input is appreciated.
    But yeah M$ just needs to shut up for once. They seem to think they have the right to reign in on other company's events and try to take hold of it. They just need to fess up and realize they are no longer innovating, they're just rehashing stuff.
    On the other hand, Apple is making huge strides in attracting corporate users which if they are going to make strides in gaining huge market, I think this will help. (This is where the irritated users,aggrevated Sys admins, and cheap IT managers come in) The switch ads are doing good in at least getting people to rethink Macs I think.

10. iGav macrumors G3

Re: Re: Re: good point

Naughty......... :p :p :p

11. iGav macrumors G3

Re: Good stuff

Even if Apple don't necessarily make giant inroads if governments and corporations do switch from MS...... atleast the whole industry will become more competitive, openminded and hopefully that people become less blindfolded and do actually see that there're viable alternatives to the crap that MS peddles in the name of software, innovation and so called superior products........

At the moment Apple are being incredibly strategic....... seemingly making sure that if MS does decide to withdraw from the mac.... (personally I don't think this is about to happen... well atleast not right away) that in reality it won't necessarily hurt the mac make as much...... as to what it may have done a few years ago.......

The next few/several years are going to be very, very interesting........ more so if the U.S Government hardlines on MS........ :)

12. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

In addition to all these attacks on M$ theres also the Switch ad camapign. If you ask me those are a pretty straightforward attack on M$.

13. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Five dollars says Stevo threw a little fit in his office and has now officially stopped development of all and any iPod on windows stuff.

Don't expect to see it. No how, no way. Not now. :)

14. digital1 thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

Good Call...

Making the industry more competitive and less Microsoft dependent is the key to having technology as a whole move forward. The whole concept of compatibility is no longer having the ability to have devices communicate and work with eachother efficiently and properly, today its more along the lines of does it work Microsoft(you fill in the space). The whole compatibility issue is yet another strong hold that M$ has. At least if apple can soften up microsoft with the strides they are making now, the overall playing field will be more fair and apple can compete in a more fair manner. I think also too that even if apple doesn't make huge inroads in government and/or business, the fact that they continue to innovate as it concerns regular consumers is something that is highly admiriable. Even in Apple's current state they continue to grab more attention than most PC companies. Can you imagine if Dell got so big they had DellWorld! AHHHHHHHHHHH thats scaring me :-D but yeah awesome comments there iGav ;)

15. digital1 thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

16. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Re: LOL :-D

And it goes to show why Apple's secretive stance on product announcements makes so much sense.

this way. they can pull the plug on stuff whenever they want to, and not have to face a PR disaster. Imagine if they said "Oh yes, we're announcing a PC compatible iPOd on 7.17!!"

Then this bullocks. Oops. No way to turn back now. :) :)

But our boys keep it alll secret, and have the upper hand. :)

17. digital1 thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

yup...

You bring another good point. We all know Steves compulsion for control and his madness for detail. The way that Apple keeps things under wraps assures steve control over things like M$ getting whiney, and they can pull out if they want to without looking crazy and making people mad. Good point Moxiemike.:p :) :D

18. iGav macrumors G3

Heh heh heh heh heh...... :p :p :p

I think he'll respond by making the default homepage on every mac in IE go straight to www.f**kmicrosoft.com....... ;) Add the obvious letters please..... ;)

19. digital1 thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

20. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Re: yup...

Thanks. It's precisely this type of business-savvy that really makes me like apple. :)

So, what does anyone think of the 17inch imac rumor?? I don't buy it, personally..although it makes.

I think it'll be widescreeens if anything

21. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

wow. the best web site ever, aside from macrumors.com. :)

22. digital1 thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

A wide screen iMac would be beautiful. It would bring tears to my eyes. But if anything, I think the 17 in. screen is more likely. If that doesn't happen I expect to see some kind of processor and/or GPU upgrade, but who knows.

23. iGav macrumors G3

Re: Good Call...

It's the only way I can envisage any real impact being made against MS is if governments and corporations make the change..... but as we see it is happening..... so there's always hope....... and hopefully we'll see a rise in innovation......... where as MS couldn't innovate if they had a time machine....... :p

DELLWORLD...... I reckon it'd be something like and have the reliability of WESTWORLD....... :p :p :p

24. iGav macrumors G3

Re: ....

There was a thread about this ages ago..... it'd be so cool if the whole of Apples display ranges (including portables) went widescreen......... if Apple don't go to 17" on the iMac G4 then maybe they should atleast consider the 15.2" of the PowerBook G4....... although not a huge incress in size...... the widescreen is certainly cooler looking...... and it'd mean that maybe they'd get a better deal on display prices what with having to order more of the 15.2"'s........... hence in theory reducing prices........ unlikely I know....... :p :)

25. digital1 thread starter macrumors 6502

digital1

HA

good stuff iGav. Yeah that DellWorld thinger is scary.... of course now that i think of it, if dell did that, M$ would have to sue them because dell would be promoting an OS as their own to a large audience. Then M$ would abandon Dell. Then Dell would have to switch over to OS X and then all the other PC companies would either switch to linux, or OS X which would force M$ to make their own computers (which I hear they are doing now) and M$ would be tiny :D LOL