This is just the coolest toy! Audiopad... Mayzin'

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Jul 11, 2003.

1. iGav macrumors G3

I have no idea if anyone else has seen this, but it's truly incredible, real Sci-Fi-StarTrek-music-creation stuff...

Just watch the Quicktime and be blown away... it's amazing!!

Look at the graphics at their finger tips when they're mixing, they move and stuff with the fingers it's superb! I've never ever seen anything like this....

http://web.media.mit.edu/~jpatten/audiopad/

It's so coooooooooooooooool!! I want one to go with my 'Dyson Up-Hill Water Feature' and 'Hektor; Grafitti Robot'... but this is cooler than the other 2 combined!! and that takes alot of coolness!!

Doesn't it make keyboards look really old!! :eek: :p :p

Go look... now now now!!

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Wow! That is amazing.....got to love out of the box thinking.....:D

Now, the only problem I see with that is the projection system. If they get an LCD instead it might actually be something the can market. Hanging the projector above is a little klugy.....but its still a very cool concept!

D

3. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I think they can put the projector underneath the table as well and back project it, kind of like that Ford concept car from a few years ago where the dials were back projected onto the dash...

If something like this every came to market, it has so many uses...

Those guys at MIT are totally rocking!!

I can just keep watching it again and again... just the detail on the 'Gene' like menu's is astounding!!

I love it!!

4. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

5. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

That is one of the coolest things I have ever seen.

Reminds me lightly of Minority Report and Matrix Reloaded (Zion controllers).

This would be great for toddlers toys...

6. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I'm still stunned now, I can instantly see hundreds of applications for this technology, particularly one for my pet subjects.... a wired home controlled by a central computer.

It has in essence the ability to provide 'active' work surfaces anywhere within the home... want to control the lighting, pick up and place the 'lighting' control on a surface, it's detected and allows you to control the lighting, with a visual display.

Everything could be controlled like this, thus negating any form of 'box' or physical control panel in the house.

Surfaces could become TV screens like that... *clicks fingers* or even minimal keyboards for computers allowing for internet connection.

It's just totally blown my mind open about the possibilities of interactivity, the technology that will power it and how it will affect me, as a designer!!

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It looks like a cool concept. Hopefully houses that are controlled by a computer will be done on a Mac. Your 1st link is no longer working?

8. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

definately awesome especially for the keyboard idea. Imagine just uturning off the light so you coudl reuse the space where you had your keyboard

9. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    iGAV ... dude, what did i say just the other day hmm??? ;)

i'm assuming you read T3 magazine?? i have the very first issue of that :) oh, remember Edge mag too? when it was a limited run and came in a plastic bag......

but yeah, this does remind me of Minority Report too, and i love that film.

"a new day another mornin' after..."

10. MacManDan macrumors 6502

Re: This is just the coolest toy! Audiopad... Mayzin'

The quicktime doesn't do the device justice. You have to experience it for yourself to really get the feel of it. It's extremely well done ..

I got a chance to play with it because I was in their labs for a while (I go to MIT). It was so incredibly user friendly: it made Mac OS X look stone-aged (only kidding :D ). You guys are right about the projector though .. it did make it look kind of strange since it would often project on someone's arm and ruin the futuristic look. They have to do that because of the electronics under the pad. Their software is just as amazing as their hardware. I actually hope to work with this guy next year on a research project ... we'll see how that goes ;)

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wow, you got to try one of those out!!!

"Mommy, mommy, can I have one for Christmas?"

12. Skandranon macrumors regular

Buh?

As of 1PM on Friday, July 11...

Error 404. Weird. :-(

13. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Re: Re: This is just the coolest toy! Audiopad... Mayzin'

You go to MIT?? :eek: :eek: :eek: that's too cool... ;)

I was just checking around their Media Lab site, and some of the stuff they're doing is beyond the cutting edge of what I thought was possible...

It's literally re-defined interactivity in my mind.... taking it beyond the computer screen and onto actual physical objects!

Totally crazy when you wake up one morning and not only have the goal posts been moved, you actually realise you're on another field altogether with strange markings for game you don't really know how to play.... that's how I feel at this moment!!

All of a sudden doing stuff which only works on a screens seems so unadventurous... :(

14. MacManDan macrumors 6502

Re: Re: Re: This is just the coolest toy! Audiopad... Mayzin'

One of the crazy things they had (sitting right next to the Audiopad when I played with it) are a bunch of networked devices .. made out of wood. I don't have pictures or a link, so I'll try to describe it the best I can.

One of the many electronic/wooden devices had a small base with 3 independent rollers. Imagine, loosely I guess, if you had a steamroller with 3 of those big cylindrical drums and flipped it upside down (and it was wooden . .and a LOT smaller). So anyway, I started rolling one of the wheels, and I noticed on another device (that looked identical), the same wheel started rolling .. in the same direction. As you roll each wheel, the others start to roll with the same angular velocity and force. So, for example, one person is at one device holding one of the cylinders, and someone else is at the other device, trying to roll the same cylinder, that person will feel resistance (and if person A is holding it tight enough, person B won't be able to move the cylinder at all). Normally this wouldn't be all that impressive, but the things are made out of wood, and only connected using standard 10Base-T wire. No external electricity .. no batteries, no outlet, nothin. Just simple manipulation of motors/generators/electrical signals. It's very cool stuff.

If you're ever in the Boston area, head over to Cambridge and go to the MIT Museum. Some of the stuff they have in there is absolutely amazing (and it's all "old" technology). Or even watch the Discovery channel .. they often have shows with a lot of stuff coming from the Media Lab. And like you said, the Media lab website isn't a bad resource itself ;)

15. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Kinda takes the idea of a "desktop" OS and makes it closer to reality than what it is now (on a computer's monitor).

Imagine a virtual desktop filled with virtual files and folders that you could move around and navigate just like you would real paper.

16. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    very very cool. i would much rather use a controller like this instead of the usual midi controllers. i've tried the hand shaped membrane controller from m-audio(?) and it was nice but way too limited on the number of avail parameters.

i could see a controller like this evolve to include a few mod wheels and assignable areas for tap tempo/ individual drum sounds/whatever. the fact that the "mic" volume controller could move or remain stationary in relation to the individual controllers was a nice twist on the master fader idea.

its all cool until some drunk bumps your table and sends the pucks all over..of course, you could assign a " record scratch" sound to play if a large number of the controllers moved off the surface...;)

thanks for the link igav

17. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Re: Re: Re: Re: This is just the coolest toy! Audiopad... Mayzin'

that's totally crazy.... stuff like that warps minds!! heh-heh!

I'm planning to be over on the east coast next summer (driving from Florida, ALL the way up) so it's certainly one of my main point of calls...

I'd love to sit down with a beer and talk to these guys, they must have some extreme concepts rattling inside their skulls...

I still can't get over that Audiopad... it's so cool...

18. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

In 2000, a student at the RCA did exactly that...

Sounds pretty cool too!

19. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Here is the website for the guy that created it...

http://web.media.mit.edu/~jpatten/

He's already applied the technology in examples for business model dynamics and chemistry... very impressive!!

The Quicktime on the main page demonstrates the dev and other applications for this technology!!

truly mayzin' this...

20. bograt macrumors member

Whoa! Where is the gap between the front seats? Is this also the first car without a hand brake? (Suppose though that if it is an auto you can leave it in P(park) and it does the same job)

21. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Well, there are any number of cars on the road with bench seats (no "gap between the front seats") and a parking brake that's applied by foot ("without a hand brake"), so there's nothing revolutionary there.

22. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I think (but not sure) that the latest 7 Series BMW doesn't have a 'hand or foot' brake. It's operated by a button on the dash.

The dash on the 24.7 Ford Concept is groovey as hell, but somethings tells me that when it's sunny you wouldn't be able to see jack, so I figured they'd have to heavily tint the windows to get away with it...