This Is Our Country

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by xsedrinam, Nov 16, 2006.

1. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

The Chevy commericial with John Mellencamp's song has been aired frequently since MLB's Series and the NFL season has unfolded. Admittedly, the jingle has a good hook and from reading the amount of positive feedback, it seems to resonate with the average U.S. Joe sixpack.

Democrats may have had their day in the polls accompanied with the good news of Rummy's resignation, but there are those who claim that Neoconservatism is alive and scrambling in the U.S. regardless of what polls declared and what promises have been made from the in-coming Freshman class of the new Congress.

It's been phrased earlier in another thread as a potential "politically correct backlash", but do you think that grass roots "America" is/remains securely embedded in mom, apple pie, Chevy trucks and "This Is My Country" [love it or leave it], or will the end of football season, daily, mounting casualties in Iraq, the unfolding drama in the ME and U.S. policies around the globe eventually erode/dislodge/sufficiently disturb neoconservatives in the U.S. and cause them to truly rethink the issues?

Attached Files:

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I think neoconservatism is dead. I think US foreign policy in the last 6 years has proven that you can only push your ideology so far so quickly before people start pushing back. Iraq is a disaster. Russia has been reasserting its role in the "near abroad." China has recognized that it stands to profit by dealing with regimes ruled ideologically unfit by the US, and Europe has recognized that it is no longer the junior partner in the West, and can pursue its/their own agenda in the world, whether practical or ideological.

Oh. And damn you for getting that song stuck in my head. Damn you damn you damn you.

3. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

-"do you think that grass roots "America" is/remains securely embedded in mom, apple pie, Chevy trucks and "This Is My Country" [love it or leave it]"

dude, I drive a chevy truck. If I wasn't a real surfer I'd be a redneck like
    all my neighbors (not really, that's a scary thought):eek:

In my community, amongst the people with whom I associate, and the people that I do business with, we are mostly chevy driving pie making mom loving patriotic country loving free people.:) love it or leave it.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i think this has more to do with what my sociologist friend calls "the hill-billization of america". examples he cites includes getting hank williams jr to do the "new" (not so new anymore) intro to monday night football.

and of course we see that echoed in marketing all the time. there's some truck commercial being aired recently that goes something along the lines of:

"you get to work early and get home late. you're an american".

and i was thinking, "wtf kind of message is that? we're using the messed up labor practices in the US to move product. nice."

if anything, i think this is all a reaction against, generally, the re-rise of american cities and, more specifically, a perception that men are losing their manliness (metrosexuality, gourmet coffee culture, fights for gay rights, moving from a manufacturing to information society, environmentalism, and feminism).

certain kinds of men feel threatened and it's giving rise to hillbillification.

5. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

I wasn't aware that this particular ad package was airing nationwide. I had assumed it was targeted at the "yahoo belt," in which I am unfortunately ensconced.

what bothers me is the photo. Product placement aside (using a dead soldier to sell a truck? Come on...), I really doubt the Marines haul their fallen over to Arlington in a Chevy pickup.

6. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Purely opinion, but I don't think the NeoCon deal ever had any widespread philosophical support. The inner circles of right-wing power plus the evangelicals, maybe. Now way do I believe it's any sort of mainstream.

I sorta see the hillbilly/redneck view of a lot of foreign policy stuff as a willingness to kick butt as payback for 9/11, rather than any real political view.

I guess the thing to remember is that not all that many people, left/right/whatever, have any sort of overarching political philosophy. They react to governmental actions or politico's statements according to their own daily interests.

'Rat

7. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

The photo is poignant. But it's not from a Chevy commercial. It was the request of parents who lost their son in Iraq that his casket be carried to Arlington in a Chevy pickup. I've forgotten where I read the article and can't seem to locate it. I'll post a link if I find it.

8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I'm glad to hear that it wasn't from a real commercial, that would be really sick. I sort of wonder if the parents' request wasnt' sort of sick too. Why would anyone do such a thing? A horse drawn carriage I can understand, but a Chevy?

Yeah, I have to agree with you on this, we're all a lot more reactionary than we would like to think. I sure was in the days and weeks after 9-11.

9. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

I could see it if perhaps he either had such a truck on order from Chevy at the time of his death or, perhaps he wanted to be transported in his own?:confused:

10. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I found the article/pic. It's from today's Washington Post Photos and brief article. Anyway, seems the pickup truck casket delivery to Arlington was the request of the fallen marine's family (from Alaska).

11. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

jeez...this "brand loyalty" thing has just gone way too far.

12. Grakkle macrumors 6502a

Grakkle

Yeah man! I work for a crap company that makes me work 12 hours a day if I want to keep my job! Whoo-Hooo! I'm an American!:rolleyes:

I just don't understand Americans: why do people think that lack of time for worthwhile pursuits is something good? Is it because there's not really anything else to boast of?

13. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

This Iraq-nam Blog on Lasky's death quotes the mother: “That is what he wanted, to be buried in Arlington. Not in a hearse, in a pickup truck full of mud with big tires on it,” Carol said.

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Bingo. Couple that with a weakness on the Dems' part, and you have a 52% mandate. Can't claim morality now, based on all the cover ups and corruption, and they seem to be blowing the WOT, so they lost that as an issue too. Based on polls, most people are more moderate than we give them credit for. They may not like abortion, but they still want it to remain legal, if nothing else than in most circumstances. Moderate gun control, moderate immigration policies, environmentalism that doesn't negatively effect personal property or free market, efficiently run social programs, but fair taxation and a balanced budget, and other things neither side can really claim. They also support stem cell research, healthcare, education, social security, the gov out of their personal lives, etc, and a lack of bureaucracy, which both sides seem to enjoy along with their corruption and kickbacks.

Gay marriage is a whole 'nother beast, but most are ok with civil unions, or just don't care either way. Same with religious freedom. All religions. Only the few heavily for or against care. The rest don't as long as it doesn't effect them personally. Even then.

15. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

^ ^ yup. yup. Live and let live, but don't tread on me.:cool:

16. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

That motto for the Gadsden Flag is stock full of history and significance derived from its original call for unity of the colonies.

Attached Files:

17. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

bury my heart at One Infinite Loop!

18. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    As a Brit who gets NFL Sunday Ticket online, I've seen that ad and heard that song more often than I can recall - it's stuck in my head!

I quite liked the one that was images of everyday life, the one I had a problem over was the one of the famous events. It struck me as wrong to use images from Katrina to sell cars. Strangely, the other ad to use Katrina - for the United Way - didn't bother me so much; perhaps because it's asking for volunteers for local community.

I'd love to see a spoof of the ad with all the bad points... <goes to check YouTube>

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Is neoconservatism dead? No, not by a long shot.

It suffered a pretty good beating almost two weeks ago, and it took the moderate wing of the party down along with it, but it's still alive...more's the pity.

What I find interesting is that, even though you know there must be a power struggle going on in the Republican party to find a scapegoat for their defeat, you don't hear much about it. It must be going on behind closed doors. Will the neocons hold onto any amount of power in the party? Or will the traditionalists wrest back control? I think it's way too early to tell. The neocons will not give in easily. Some of them are still trying to blame the "RINO"s for their defeat. :rolleyes:

One thing's for sure: neocons are not going to rethink their positions. Bull-headedness combined with a weak grasp of reality: that's their hallmark. Rethink themselves? You might as well ask the pope to rethink Catholicism.

And as long as we have what zimv20's friend calls the "hillbillization" of America, we'll have neocons. Ignorance gives birth to simple-minded ideas. Therefore, we need to strongly bolster the teaching of basic civics in every level of our schools. We need kids to learn, and learn well, why such fundamental concepts as habeus corpus and church-state separation exist, and that they are not optional and cannot be abrogated by the government. Only when future generations understand this thoroughly will we see a sustained movement away from neoconservatism.

But this is easier said than done. I'm sure the implementation of such an agenda will be met by conservatives with howls of, "See? We told you liberal elitist eggheads are brainwashing our kids!!" So such an outcome will be hard fought-for.

Moreover, I'd actually like to see the Democratic party engage in some kind of PR campaign to counteract the widespread stereotype of liberals as America-hating elitists who disdain the common man. It is to the Democrats' shame that they ever allowed everyone from Reagan on to plaster them with that slanderous, foul image.

A good place to start, too, would be to revive the Equal Time provisions that the FCC struck down years ago. That alone would strike a huge blow to radio stations that exist all over the United States for no other reason than the spreading of neocon propaganda.

There's more, but I've gone on too long already. I'll just close by saying that perhaps we need to use the very word "neocon" much more frequently, and always in the negative context that neocons reserve for liberals.

After all, there's only one other major kind of political movement that begins with the word "neo-", and that one uses a swastika.

20. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I think that's beginning to happen. Embittered Insiders Turn Against Bush

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

It's absolutely amazing that so many people inside the WH and the Pentagon were saying the same things that we liberals were saying, and that they were saying it long ago just as we were, and that it just fell on the deaf ears of Bush, Cheney, Rummy, Tenet and others.

It's far beyond the point where one can conclude that these people are just wrong, or stubborn, or even evil. That's part of it, yes, but the overriding conclusion one must come to here is: they're friggin' morons!