This is OUTRAGEOUS

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Macette, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Macette macrumors 6502

Being a G5 owner, I qualified for Apple's Up-To-Date program, and so I forked out my $35 and they sent me Panther.

So then, having bought a Firewire backup disc, and backed everything up, I unplugged the drive (hey... I've been paying attention...), started up from the Panther install CD, and thought, well, maybe I should reformat my drive (to keep everything clean... in the past I've had weird things crop up when I've installed over an older version).

So I reformat my drive, go to install Panther, and - hey presto - i'm not allowed to, because I don't have an older version of OS X on my computer.

There is absolutely NO REASON why just because I'm an Up-To-Date customer, I shouldn't be allowed to wipe my drive and start again. In fact, if something crap had happened - like my hard drive had broken or something - then I would have EVERY RIGHT to install Panther from scratch.

I was eligible for Panther because it's the FIRST STABLE (I know this is arguable!) OS release since I forked out 10 grand (that's right folks, 10 grand) on my new system, and the first release to take advantage of many of my big, fast computer's features.

So.

I'm ringing Apple right now and telling them to take a good, hard look at themselves.

EDIT: I rang them. They told me to get lost.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Well, their Up-to-date discs have been upgrade only.

You can always do a format, restore Jaguar, and then upgrade Panther. There are more steps, but it's essentially the same thing.

Hope you have good luck with Panther. :)

3. Macette thread starter macrumors 6502

i LOVE Panther - I've been using it at work already. it's cool.

4. Col127 macrumors 6502

that's weird.
    my UTD discs give me the option of clean install. i didn't go that route since i'm still in school and don't have the time to reinstall all my apps and what have you so i upgraded from jaguar to panther.

but i don't think they'd give me the option of clean install if it didn't work :p

5. Macette thread starter macrumors 6502

when i spoke to the guy at applecare, he said you can do an "erase and install", and it works - you just can't erase the drive using disk copy FIRST, and then install.

so i have to install jag again, then use erase and install to install panther.

in all, it will probably take about a hundred years.

6. 3-22 macrumors regular

Outrageous?

It is an "upgrade" disk, and does state this in the manual. Just click the Erase and Install option.

7. Macette thread starter macrumors 6502

bah - i don't read manuals... :D

seriously, though - Apple don't offer 'upgrades' to OS X, except in this case, and the eligibility criteria are very tight (must have bought X computer on or after X date) - and the reason we're eligible is because basically we deserve it. i don't think they're really saving themselves any piracy hassles... all they're doing is making it difficult to install the software that we've got every right to install.

and the Up-To-Date program doesn't specify - when you order - that you'll be receiving Upgrade discs. i think it's a bit tight of them. grrr.

8. novowel macrumors member

if they were doing it for an anti-piracy standpoint...they would have at least used serial numbers ;p

9. Macette thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah... why don't they use serial numbers? I mean, i know it's not quite legal, but i used to have the same copy of Jaguar installed on my iBook and my G3 tower, and there was no clash if they were on the same network...

anyway, that's no longer a problem, since i had to sell my iBook to get my G5!

10. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

Dont worry with that! It took me 22 minutes to do a clean install on my Dual G5! And it was the 3 Cd's! :D

11. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I hate upgrade disks with a passion, i as entitled to one as well with the purchase of my system but i opted to buy the full version.

Then i didn't buy that either, instead Apple sent me 2 copies of panther to me instead.

I have one spare now...

12. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

Ebay time. My spare went there to subsidize my purchase of the full-version.

13. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

options

i hink you are wrong, my friends have had the same problem, there is an optoin you can select, then click clean install, or erase all and install
    just pay mroe attenttion
    upgrade is default
    Andreas

14. 3-22 macrumors regular

Apple Developer...

I ordered the upgrade disks from Apple they arrived, the very next day I received the full Panther version from the Apple Developer Connection. I was a bit skeptical at first but the Apple Developer program for Students ($99) is great!

I received a free copy of Jaguar, which I sold. I sold my Panther upgrade disks (kept the full install disks)... The thing is paying for itself plus some... Plus I have access to a bunch of developer resources.

Not to mention it saved me hundreds of dollars on my G5...

15. illumin8 macrumors 6502

Re: This is OUTRAGEOUS

I used up-to-date with my new PowerBook so I can tell you exactly where you went wrong. You shouldn't have formatted your hard drive before installing Panther. Here is the proper way to do a clean install from the up-to-date disks:

1. Boot into Jaguar (10.2) normally.
    2. Put the Panther upgrade CD in.
    3. It will tell you it needs to reboot.
    4. Your system will reboot off of CD-ROM.
    5. When it asks you what type of install to do, choose a custom install, then choose "clean install".
    6. Panther will then format your hard drive and install itself.

It's not that hard, but if you didn't read the little piece of paper that comes with your up-to-date kit you probably missed this.

I know based on the fact that I used to be a PC user (still am), when installing Windows I usually like to use PartitionMagic and repartition my drive before I ever do an install. This is the wrong mindset to use when doing the up-to-date install.

16. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I've long suspected it's because they don't make their $$ on the OS. Apple is a hardware company first and foremost. While it's not legal (read the EULA) to install a single copy of the OS on multiple machines, I think they've decided to pick their battles more carefully.

17. Macette thread starter macrumors 6502

obviously - i realise this now. however there was no bit of paper with my Panther CD warning me about it being an Upgrade only CD, just the black booklet and a one-page license agreement which doesn't say anything, so I never knew that this would happen.

But that's not really my beef. i don't see why, having qualified for Panther under Up-To-Date, that I should get a limited version. I should be allowed to reformat, partition, blah blah blah, without having to install Jaguar again, and then do an Erase and Install. It adds hours to the process (Jag takes FOREVER to install). Last time i got Up-To-Date (when I bought my iBook just after OS 10.0 came out) they gave me full install CDs - I checked just now.

Frankly, I was a little irritated by having to pay $35 "shipping and handling"; I'm VERY irritated now that it turns to have this annoying restriction.

18. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

Macette, i did exactly the same thing. i was extremely pissed that you can't do a clean install. so then i had to stuff around installing Jaguar all over again.

sure you can do erase and install, but then what happens if you have to re-install Panther? you've got to install Jaguar all over again as well. that just sucks.:mad:

Apple might be thinking a bit too highly of themselves if they think that people will only have to install Panther once.:rolleyes:

19. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

This was the same policy they had for 10.0 to 10.1.

20. Macette thread starter macrumors 6502

maybe it was the same policy... but my up-to-date CDs just came in the os X box, with instructions etc - i can take a photo for you - they weren't upgrade CDs, they were the real deal.

21. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

even though they came in a box, they're still UtD CD's right? does it say 'update' on the 1st CD?

i got the UtD, it said 'update' on the 1st CD, none of the others.

i guess we can't really blame Apple for doing anything wrong, it's just that they could have handled this better and they would have had alot more happy customers.

i wished they would have explained exactly what the UtD CD's were on their site. i thought it was just an UtD program because the G5's and the new PB's were just released. if i'd known that it was only an upgrade CD i might have just got the full version at education pricing. or i do have broadband internet as well...