This is really so sad

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by absolut_mac, Jan 21, 2005.

1. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

I saw this on the news last night. Stories like this are so sad, seeing it happen on tape just seems to make it so much more real.

I just can't believe that nobody checked out the guy considering that he was lingering outside for so long. He was obviously *hunting* for his next victim.

Let's hope that they have the right guy.

Abducted Wal-Mart Clerk's Body Found

TYLER, Texas - A woman who was abducted from a parking lot while leaving work at a Wal-Mart was found shot to death Friday, police said. A suspect was in custody in Arizona.

Tyler Police Chief Gary Swindle confirmed the body of Megan Leann Holden, a 19-year-old college student from Henderson whose kidnapping was captured on videotape late Wednesday, was found.

"It is apparent that she has died of a gunshot wound," he said, declining to give details.

A surveillance videotape "shows Megan getting into her truck and the (man) running up behind her and either hitting her or pushing her," police spokesman Don Martin said earlier. "Then the vehicle drives off."

The body was found in Martin County in West Texas, Martin said.

Said Swindle: "At this point in time there's no doubt this was a total stranger abduction."

Authorities in Willcox, Ariz., were holding Johnny Lee Williams, 24, for investigation in the missing woman's case, said Carol Capas, a spokeswoman for the Cochise County (Ariz.) Sheriff's Department.

He was treated at a hospital Friday for a gunshot wound, apparently inflicted in a robbery attempt, Capas said. He was to be questioned by Texas police and the FBI (news - web sites), who were en route to Willcox.

Holden, a clerk at the Wal-Mart store, had clocked out at 11:43 p.m. Wednesday, Martin said.

He and Swindle both said Williams was considered a suspect.

Capas said Williams is believed to have been shot during an attempted robbery at an RV park northeast of Willcox. A man at the RV park told authorities he had shot a man who had pulled a gun on him and demanded money.

Williams was treated at Northern Cochise Community Hospital for a gunshot wound to the shoulder, Capas said.

When the wounded man was found at the hospital, authorities determined that the pickup truck he had been driving was linked to the Texas kidnapping case.

The FBI has joined the investigation, Tyler police said.

Wal-Mart surveillance tape shows a man, about 20 to 25 years old, in a long, dark coat, apparently the abductor, loitering around the front entrance to the store "for a good period of time," Martin said.

He was also seen on tape about 1 1/2 hours before the abduction, emerging from a bathroom and walking around inside the store.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=5&u=/ap/20050121/ap_on_re_us/clerk_abducted

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Couldn't this have been prevented if there were guards watching the surveillance cameras at all times? If I'm an employee watching live video of someone being abducted in my parking lot I think I would do something about it right away!

3. chanoc macrumors 6502

chanoc

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm going to assume that your sense of humor really isn't that sick, and that you're in the wrong thread.

5. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Likewise... This is humorous in no way, shape or form. :( :mad:

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Proof that innocent people that didn't need to die do. Every day.

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Your comment is pathetic and has no place in a discussion such as this.

Sushi

8. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I'm guessing this is part of the reason you are unemployed. See a Dr soon, and take the pills they give you.

It is obvious you have no children.

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My prayers go out to the family and friends of Megan Leann Holden. So sad, she was just 19 years old. Hopefully it was a quick death. Saw this on the news last evening. It's troublesome that she was found 400 miles away from the shopping center. :(

10. SumDumGuy macrumors regular

This incident chills me to the bone. I live close to Tyler, and worked not far from the Wal-Mart where she was abducted. It seems like one of those things that happens in "the big city", not a sleepy rural part of Texas. It's just so senseless and tragic.

11. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

I have to wonder if they had one of those rent-a-cop security guards patrollng the parking lot in one of those little trucks.
    They have those around the Walmarts where I live.
    I also wonder if they are really worth a darn.
    A most preventable tragedy. :(

12. absolut_mac thread starter macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

That's a really callous and uncalled for remark.

I don't know if you have a wife or a daughter, but I would hope that you wouldn't post such a callous remark if such a terrible thing happened to your mother. Or would you?

I'm pleased that many others saw your remark exactly the same way that I did.

13. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Perhaps this person is a smoker, and feels resentment from their non-smoker friends?

14. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

wow man, you're so smart, clever, witty, sensitive, bet you can't keep the ladies away.

:rolleyes:

15. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

no point in analysing that stupid remark. just a bad joke.

on a different note: has anybody an idea why people do things like this? are they evil and don't care about the life of others? or are they just sick and driven to do this?
    it would be interesting to read some scientific interviews with those criminals. to me it is so incomprehensible what goes on in their mind........

16. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

have heard (maybe even read) once that scientists have found the "bad"-gene.

17. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It's really hard to know what was going on in the mind of chanoc, unless he cares to share.

Many criminals are sociopaths, they have no conscious. That thing in the majority of us that prevents us from doing such a thing. Most don't consider them to be mentally ill.

18. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Proof that "second-class" citizens suffering from CRI really can speak out their ***.

19. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Hehe, Bill Hicks. Nice. I enjoyed it. ;)

20. Metatron macrumors 6502

Metatron

Yeah, this really freaked me out. My girlfriend lives about 1 mile away from that walmart alone in her apartment. I live 35 minutes away. She shops there once a week. I usually go with her, but now I guess I will have to always go now. I always hated going to walmart with her cause it took for ever for her to shop.

I feel horrible for the family and their lost.

21. MentalFabric macrumors 6502

MentalFabric

Don't let the rest of the replies get to you ^.^

22. sgarringer macrumors regular

I also had a little chuckle =]

23. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Duplicate due to server busy error, got a warning but still posted twice.

What does everyone thing should happen to these parents? :eek:

24. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

25. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That is truly sickening. Does Floriduh have the death penalty? These two have it coming :mad: