This is sad....

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacAztec, Jan 19, 2003.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Ok, I have a 400MHz G4 AGP with 768MB RAM, and a Radeon Mac Edition.

I can sell this computer on eBay for around 600 dollars.

The sad part is, I can build a hella fast PC for about 650 (with AMD 2200+, 512 RAM, ATI AIW, SWEET case, etc.)

I wouldnt even think about doing this, but I am starting to realize how badly mac desktops suck. I would never get a PC laptop, but I would get a PC desktop.

My computer does everything I need, but it cant handle a game. I try to play something, and I cant do it. I get horrible FPS!

I would also like to have Kazaa too....without using VPC

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: This is sad....

Heh... the flip side to this is that the PC you build for $650 will sell for like $1 in a few years. :)

but you're right- you can get a pretty good PC for $1000. $650's a bit low though...

arn

3. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

True

Yea, I see that. But I dont really care. If I can sell my computer which is outdated now, and get a fast computer for little or no price difference, then its like trading computers.

I will get a new computer around next year IF new chips come out, but this is a way to get something new NOW.

Go to GoogleGear.com to check out those prices.

4. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I understand the case very well

In my experience, I had a toyota car for a long time, the parts were really expensive and the car was really good. Then the car was stolen and I got a Daewoo that is niec but everything inside is cheap, it is the worst piece of plastic ever.

The thing is that the parts cost 1/4th of the value compared with toyota.

Now, the question is ¿what use are you gonna give to the car?

In the case of computers , let me tell you that there is always need for a PC, specially for games. If you are gonna do something different like working the entire day with the computer (reability) I would get a Mac. For games and e-mail and surfing the net, get the PC.

Get the PC for things that your mother would do with a computer.

5. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

well

Im going to play games, listen to music, burn CDs, make a few webpages, stuff like that

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Re: well

and crashing, don't forget crashing. there'll be lots of crashing. then comes the cursing.

:)

as arn pointed out, a higher resale value is typically a *good* thing, unless you're on this end of it...

i cant argue much anymore, i completely agree that apple is losing it's competitive edge... its getting to the point where using windows is worth the speed increase...

im almost wishing i had a PC right now, to play simcity 4... if apple had decent processors on the market, i could play it in VPC without too much slowdown. but even a mac-native version, if they thought macs were worth releasing it for, would be slower than windows...

lets hope apple has something up its sleeve. it'll be too bad if they dont.

pnw

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

PCs are pretty cool for gaming.

The last time I checked, though, an xBox was $450 cheaper.

Crash? Hah! :D

Attached Files:

8. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

I never really play games on my Mac or on a PC so I don't fully appreciate that part, but how do the PC games stack up against the console systems like PS2, GameCube, and Xbox?
    I got an Xbox just to play Halo and I love it. meanwhile my Mac is churning away on video projects that I would be hard pressed to do on PC's for the same money.

9. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

PC Games

PC Games stack up better. I personally like using a mouse and keyboard more than I like using a controller. There are more games, for cheaper prices, with better graphics.

10. cubist macrumors 68020

Hey MacAztek, that's not a bad machine you've got there.

For $400 you can put in a 800MHz G4 and double your frame rate, play the games you've already got and save yourself all that hassle.

As Arn says, the PC will cost you more than $650 if you get any kind of reasonable graphics card. And don't forget to pay for Windows XP Home. You will be calling Microsoft whenever you change your network card, or your hard drive, or add RAM. And two years from now you can sell it at a yard sale for $30...

11. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Price

Go build a PC at GoogleGear.com

I built one and the total was about 648 dollars. I didnt include a case though.

But still, if i did spend 400 and put the 800MHz in here, I would still be on a 100MHz bus, with 2x AGP, etc.

12. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

personally i like havign a mac and a pc. im mostly on my mac just for everyday stuff because there is just better sense of feeling on my mac. I have a great pc i built for about a thousand dollars. gigabyte mobo, 2.0 ghz p4, gf4 ti4400 128mb, 512 ddr ram, 48x burner, 56x drive, audigy platinum, and yada yada yada. its my offical game computer. the only sucky thing is when you build your computer, when it breaks there is no one person to call. do i call the mobo company, do i call microsoft, do i call visiontek, do i call creative, do i call seagate, and so on and so on. personally i have been very happy with my windows machine. it has given me no problems and xp has been more than good on my machine. windows xp is as stable as my os x machine. if the games i wanted were for macintosh i would have no need for a pc. but until that day i will use both and i dont mind.

iJon

13. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: Price

So what's holding you back? :)

arn

14. Choppaface macrumors 65816

after using a PC for 7 months now, I think it's really great and they're really underappreciated here (which can be expected, he he :D)

if you can up to an 800mhz chip though for 400, that might be a good idea. you can put the remaining $250 aside for a a new comp later this year. you might find it handy if you want to get the top hammer or top powermac or whatnot and they're really $$$$

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I went through this same process just before buying my dual G4/800.

I wanted a machine that would give me more of everything so I could do faster graphics work and play more games. Sam's Club had a couple of HP machines for just over $1000 with high clock speed Athlons.

Now, I think a lot less about that and things just get done. I'm still waiting on certain games to be ported but they're coming. Every game on the PC is not worth it anyway. Remember that there's a lot of rubbish on that side.

On the other hand, at work, I'm moving from Win2000 to WinXP shortly (400 MHz P2 to 1.8 GHz P4) and I think I'll have a better opinion of the other side. I'd already have a better opinion except for the crashing and the other stability problems. :)

16. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

The hardest thing about trading up and buying a pc, is the shame I would feel. The macintosh is truely part of who I am, I know the truth about the better OS, the better computing experience... I know how superior it is. If I traded up and got a PC (something I will never do!) I would have to hang my head, all my friends who I ridicule would have the upper hand.

I would be less of a person.. I would be a windoze loser....

You can go ahead and trade sides if you want.. fine, go ahead.. but we'll all be right here, waiting for you.. when you come crawling back in shame.

You might have your cheap games and cheap pc and crappy windows.... it might be cheaper.. but can you really put a price on your DIGNITY!?

(maybe that's a little too dramatic... but not by much!)

17. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, I took the plunge and bought the ole lady a PC laptop for school this semester. Sony Vaio PIIIM 1GHZ. 256MB Ram 40GB Hard Drive, 12.1" monitor CDRW/DVD Combo in the docking station. Got it for 848 new in the box at Sams. Now other than me having to reisntall the OS on day one because I tried to upgrade to XP Pro, this little puppy flies. It has integrated video and can play Star Wars Rouge Squardron. It loads Office in a snap. Internet flies, and the winamp plug ins rock. So that being said, it has been two weeks, and not one crash, not even one app. I can't say that for some of the apps that are on our iMac.

True is, it aint that bad. It sucks, but not as bad as it did in the past. So, my verdict is I want both.

18. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i agree perfectly. xp gives me now problems. xp is a major improvment over everything else. The last time i had trouble on my pc was trying to install Windows 2003 on my slave drive.

iJon

19. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule