This is the best visual representation of 9/11, in my mind.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jive, Sep 11, 2006.

1. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

2. minimalistic macrumors regular

3. nitynate macrumors 6502a

4. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

landsat2, though not a "representation" per se, did leave a vivid picture of what the event did represent.

Attached Files:

5. iVersa macrumors 6502

While of course a very sad tragedy, that image is a very aesthetically nice piece of work

6. SolidSnake macrumors regular

I agree that it is very nice. But it is a bit off.

7. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

meh, I see it as adding to the overall, abstract effect.

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

[​IMG]

9. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

Personally, I think that is sick. What kind of thread is this anyway? Who makes a cake to celebrate a disaster? "Happy 9-11" with a burning building cake...that's rediculous.

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

calm down. its not my cake.

11. rtharper macrumors regular

rtharper

Or maybe it's meant to be poignant? Or a way of coping with something that affected everyone very deeply? Everyone expresses their emotions differently, and 9/11 probably evoked different emotions in different people. Get off your high horse, your moral authority isn't any more credible than anyone else's, neither is your artistic.

You should hope eventually people do view it somewhat satirically, because as long as people hold onto with too much emotion it keeps people from rationally dealing with the backlash; or are you a right-wing neo-con that thinks what we've been doing to the rest of the world is justifiable because of 9/11?

12. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I don't know why but that's the funniest thing I've read all day.

Lethal

13. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

I didn't mean it was yours and I'm sorry for the way I reacted but to me, that isn't even something to be "happy" about.

That's like saying, Let's draw an icing picture on a cake of a car crash that killed your best friend, and put "happy 6/3", and eat it on the anniversary of his death. Cause basically that's what that cake is saying.

14. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

I find the cake a bit on the distasteful side.

15. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

It's all a matter of perspective. Maybe that's Osama's cakes?

Lethal

16. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

The cake reminded me of "Little Miss Sunshine"...:rolleyes:

17. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

uhm. cause that makes it better? you posted it.. and without any sort of subtitle. naturally we're going to assume you posted it to be "funny" - which it isn't.

18. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Well the way the media acts on 9-11 anniversaries they pretty much are turning it into a holiday. I mean obviously they make a lot of money off 9-11. Bush uses it after every other word in his speeches, to him it's the basis for his entire foreign policy. There are a lot of opportunists who use 9-11, which is in essence celebrating it. So to me that cake just reminded me of that opportunism: to the media, to the politicians. As a piece of art (if it is?), I don't find it offensive. I find Bush and most media outlets offensive, however.

19. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

I was born on 9/11/84....

is anyone else born on 9/11?

Do people treat you differently 'cos of it?

Alot of people apologise to me for it and iam like its not me that it affects. Its strange these people dont go apologising to Americans for it but as i am born on the same date i get treated strangely?

I have even met a few americans who have had bad reactions thinking i was messing with them!

It just so happens that my fiance's father died on 9/11 about 10 or so years ago... and my cat i had for 14 years died on my 18th birthday.

Strange coincidences.

Anyway jst thot i would ask?

20. BBGun macrumors newbie

That outline image is intriguing; thanks for sharing it. (I noticed the URL on the transparency: wtcoutline.com)

rtharper, since you've set the precedent and pulled someone off their high horse, only to climb on it yourself, I'll give you a tug...

My first thought was that this cake photo was from some British-Muslim extremist celebration of the anniversary. Didn't you feel an initial jab in the gut when you saw this photo?
    Yeah, check the news clips from that day. There were plenty of very emotional Muslims... cheering, laughing, and dancing in the streets.
    I suspect that posing up there on your high horse may have distorted your perspective. I understand your desire to defend something that may have been taken completely out of context, but this cake, viewed only in the context of the horror of 9/11 and common moral standards, is sick and in poor taste (no pun intended). If there was some additional context that made it more acceptable, it wasn't posted, so we aren't privy to it. Thus I would contend that anyone here (in a Mac forum!) who finds this cake photo offensive is justified.
    What "we're doing to the rest of the world" now may have been poorly managed at some points along the way, but the "backlash" is long overdue. In case you didn't realize it, we've been involved in this "war" since the 70's and we've only recently begun to "backlash" in earnest. Seems like we've been rather patient up until 9/11. Of course, the aimless inaction of gonad-less liberals may have passed for patience, but it only helped wedge us into our current situation and delay the inevitable.

Giddy-up horsey!
    :p

21. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Maybe you should look closer in the photo. There is a mini american flag right above the cake.
    Go ahead and play the neo-con bigot card though; judging an entire religion based upon the actions of a few.

22. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

I hope we stay in iraq and make it the 51st state. And yeah, I was in iraq in 90 for the first war. They hate us, I hate them right back.