Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
When you want to buy one of these new phones. The Moto X TROUNCES the OnePlus Two.

You wanna buy the new Moto X in September, ok, go to the website and click purchase, select shipping, and it will be to you in a few days. Wanna buy the OnePlus Two ? Ok first where's your invite ? Second, they out of stock. Third you're a tool for even supporting this company and buying their product :rolleyes:

Reactions: MRU and epicrayban

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm just wondering if One Plus can actually do 'humble' ... Because it's going to make the fall from grace ever more of a crash if they can't learn from their mistakes.

And I'm so pleased their schlong waving prowess lasted less than 24 hours before the steam truly left their #overHYPEd sails.

Reactions: tbayrgs

smwatson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
London, England
I'll buy one if I ever get the chance. The invite system is just ridiculous and is the reason they will never be a proper challenger to the big players.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Rear facing speaker? WTF in this day and age? Otherwise looks nice, but tech support must be a nightmare. MotoX looks like a MUCH better buy for the money. It's nice looking though but looks very thick.

It's very reminiscent of the Nexus 5, especially with the wallpaper. Front is beautiful, digging the black no logo look. Dark mode OS is awesome, can't believe no one else does this. The hardware button for alerts is very nice, why no one else except Apple does this makes no sense.

Will definitely make decisions tougher this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Six8

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Reactions: MRU and jamezr

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
It looks like a modest update during an uninspiring year for smartphones. The OnePlus One had a bigger impact than its sequel now that so many good phones can be bought for cheaper.

But like Samsung and LG were, I am just not sold on Snapdragon 810. This isn't exactly Qualcomm's greatest hit. Also, we really can push our phones to the limit with emulation. Alot of them can't play the Dolphin (GameCube) emulator that smoothly. We may have to wait until SD820 or after to play ROMS from a 14-year console smoothly.

Try emulators from 6th gen consoles like Dreamcast and GameCube while also downloading videos using Flud, uTorrent, and TubeMate. Your phone will lag or freeze up quite easily. Battery will drain fast. If it doesn't now, it will after a year or so. It is just an endless cycle. We go through honeymoon phases and then sell them off after less than a year. Smartphones are the most important and personal gadgets in our lives and also the most disposable to rarely feel attached to them whether we get them cheap or not. I miss when devices like Walkman, TV, handheld, and a console can last 10+ years. Smartphones will be lucky to survive half that duration especially since so many of them omitted removal battery and micro-sd slot and are built for quicker obsolescence.

More of the same now. Innovation and my interest in smartphones peaked between 2007-2014. This year could be the start of a decline not in sales per se but in innovation and freshness. It is like the video game industry during the 7th and 8th gens when everything got overstuffed and redundant. By 2017, the best smartphones may actually come from the midrange market with 720p/1080p will become entry to midrange. The current crop of flagships is like buying a PS4 or Xbox One on launch day. You could always wait to buy them later while their predecessors can still entertain you.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Gotta say that is one nice bit of kit the One+ 2, cheap too. I do like that capacitive fingerprint scanner.

Such a shame they have the stupid invite system, also a shame it's running the 810 SOC.

Agreed. The invite system and all the rest of B.S. with company is what is keeping me from even considering a phone from them.

Reactions: apolloa

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Yeah Moto was going to live in the bottom budget phone space but it looks like OPO just booted them out of there. This phone has the specs and appearance to be a special phone. Too bad they have that stupid invite system.

The difference being you can walk into any Best Buy and walk out with a Moto X. OPO has that horrid and consumer alienating invite system.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
It really is a shame about the invite system. This is otherwise a pretty amazing phone. That battery with a 10 80 screen is going to last forever.

Plus with near stock Android that we've always wanted in a phone. Everything else is also pretty solid.

Just that invite system is screwing it all up.

Up to a million people want an invite now according to latest report. Gonna be a mess.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The difference being you can walk into any Best Buy and walk out with a Moto X. OPO has that horrid and consumer alienating invite system.
agreed....I might pick up a OPO2 sometime secondhand on craigslist. But after seeing what Moto Pure has to offer this year I will def get one. Now its just which one is being released first....the N5 or Moto Pure.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Disclaimer: I dislike the invite system.

But I do just just want to point out... it's not uncommon to have failed launches even without an invite system. Nexus phones, Motorola phones, even Apple phones all have faced varying degrees of issues or challenges for customers to get their hands on a device on launch day/weekend. Be it because of high demand, short supply, websites going down due to traffic, incorrect orders due to errors with website, or whatever have you; it's happened before to very many companies for very many reasons.

The invite system, in some odd way, combats this. It's a controlled launch day, where OnePlus controls exactly how much they can ship out based on exactly how much they have in stock. As they produce more, they open up the invitations. In other words: it tempers expectations. Invite = you'll get it. No invite = you won't get it. There's no second guessing or worrying about whether your order got through or not, or when the website will be back up, etc.

And, as MRU has pointed out, it's a way for them to create frenzy. While we hate that, it bodes well for them as a company. Or at least that's the idea. I'm sure the invite system also backfires at times and makes people mad and that in turn spreads bad publicity on social media, etc.

So who knows.

Just thought it might be worth pointing out.

And my main point remains, as I've said a few times already before: the flawed invite system doesn't (shouldn't?) take away from the device itself.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

And my main point remains, as I've said a few times already before: the flawed invite system doesn't (shouldn't?) take away from the device itself.

When your a company based entirely on hyperbole and when your last motto was #neversettle it does seem contradictory that they are indeed asking their customer base to settle. No NFC, No stereo speakers, No QHD, No quick charging, No micro Sd, No wireless charging etc....

It's a case of the hyperbole machine they have generated turning around and biting them on their ass.

The One Plus 2 is a nice phone but it's not unique, it's ok and based on a lot of compromises to bring it in budget. Sadly however budget is the only thing that truly differentiated them and in 2015 that's not the case.

Moto's X Style for $20 more than the One Plus 2 64gb has all those extras that once #NeverSettle aspired to achieve. Along with this radical concept of selling you a device if you want it, even from a shop... Add more reliable customer service and a less troubled software support.

So for One Plus to have the audacity to call their new device the #Flagship Killer of 2016 is just utter nonsense. It's not even a 2014 Flagship killer let alone 2015.

The rhetoric hurts and detracts from what is basically a nice phone but one that has no real major differentiator at the end of the day - one that is pretty much unremarkable after the pricing bubble has been subjugated by other OEM's.

One Plus have nothing special or unique other than the hyperbole and invite system. It's therefore important that they continue their process of marketing indoctrination and fallacious hyperbole because without it there really isn't a compelling reason why you would choose this device over the competition and in the process subject yourself to their invite system.

So in retrospect then the fact that you have no choice but to put up with the invite system does and should detract from the device.

Last edited:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
It shouldn't but when your a company based entirely on hyperbole and when your last motto was #neversettle it does seem contradictory that they are indeed asking their customer base to settle. No NFC, No stereo speakers, No QHD, No quick charging, No micro Sd, No wireless charging etc....

It's a case of the hyperbole machine they have generated turning around and biting them on their ass.

The One Plus 2 is a nice phone but it's not unique, it's ok and based on a lot of compromises to bring it in budget. Sadly however budget is the only thing that truly differentiated them and in 2015 that's not the case.

Moto's X Style for $20 more than the One Plus 2 has all those extras that once #NeverSettle aspired to achieve.

So to have the audacity to call their device #Flagship Killer of 2016 is just utter nonsense. It's not even a 2014 Flagship killer let alone 2015.

The rhetoric hurts and detracts from what is basically a nice phone but one that has no real major differentiator at the end of the day - one that is unremarkable after the pricing bubble has been subjugated by other OEM's.

One Plus have nothing special or unique other than the hyperbole and invite system. It's therefore important that they continue their process of marketing indoctrination and fallacious hyperbole because without it there really isn't a compelling reason why you would choose this device over the competition and in the process subject yourself to their invite system.

Can't disagree!

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Can't disagree!

If the Nexus devices from Huawei and LG come in back on pricing track too (after the n6 price went a bit awol) joint the likes of Moto, we're going to have lots of choice for stock android devices with decent specs and very competitive prices.

I think one plus may come very unstuck within a few months.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
When your a company based entirely on hyperbole and when your last motto was #neversettle it does seem contradictory that they are indeed asking their customer base to settle. No NFC, No stereo speakers, No QHD, No quick charging, No micro Sd, No wireless charging etc....

Moto's X Style for $20 more than the One Plus 2 64gb has all those extras that once #NeverSettle aspired to achieve. Along with this radical concept of selling you a device if you want it, even from a shop... Add more reliable customer service and a less troubled software support.

So for One Plus to have the audacity to call their new device the #Flagship Killer of 2016 is just utter nonsense. It's not even a 2014 Flagship killer let alone 2015.

The rhetoric hurts and detracts from what is basically a nice phone but one that has no real major differentiator at the end of the day - one that is pretty much unremarkable after the pricing bubble has been subjugated by other OEM's.

So in retrospect then the fact that you have no choice but to put up with the invite system does and should detract from the device.
Not disagreeing with you on anything except the OPO2 is supposed to have a very good fingerprint scanner.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Not disagreeing with you on anything except the OPO2 is supposed to have a very good fingerprint scanner.

True it does have that... I imagine Carl Pei is busy knocking up some rough photoshop tables and charts about that for "Moto damage control" :D

Do you remember all the one plus graphs and charts they threw up on their forum :) :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.