Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Yeah I was there on the forums with you for the first OPO. But never again!

Reactions: MRU

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
When your a company based entirely on hyperbole and when your last motto was #neversettle it does seem contradictory that they are indeed asking their customer base to settle. No NFC, No stereo speakers, No QHD, No quick charging, No micro Sd, No wireless charging etc....

It's a case of the hyperbole machine they have generated turning around and biting them on their ass.

The One Plus 2 is a nice phone but it's not unique, it's ok and based on a lot of compromises to bring it in budget. Sadly however budget is the only thing that truly differentiated them and in 2015 that's not the case.

Moto's X Style for $20 more than the One Plus 2 64gb has all those extras that once #NeverSettle aspired to achieve. Along with this radical concept of selling you a device if you want it, even from a shop... Add more reliable customer service and a less troubled software support.

So for One Plus to have the audacity to call their new device the #Flagship Killer of 2016 is just utter nonsense. It's not even a 2014 Flagship killer let alone 2015.

The rhetoric hurts and detracts from what is basically a nice phone but one that has no real major differentiator at the end of the day - one that is pretty much unremarkable after the pricing bubble has been subjugated by other OEM's.

One Plus have nothing special or unique other than the hyperbole and invite system. It's therefore important that they continue their process of marketing indoctrination and fallacious hyperbole because without it there really isn't a compelling reason why you would choose this device over the competition and in the process subject yourself to their invite system.

So in retrospect then the fact that you have no choice but to put up with the invite system does and should detract from the device.

Add in that they have a weird version of USB C that is still USB 2.0 and not 3 with their type C.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
it is not wierd; USB-C is just a connector. USB-C isnt the same as USB 3.1 standard. You may see that connector type used with usb2-3.1. But it was so a stupid decision to still use usb2 on this day with a new device.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Flaw Allows For Queue Jumping With One Plus Waiting List - After being pushed down the queue 61,000 places, Jake Cooper set about creating a work around. Using Python and the mailinator API, he was able to push himself up to position 1,694 of 1.5million in just a short while. This is a surprisingly simple trick and yet another example of the flaws relating to the invite system used.

http://www.xda-developers.com/xda-e...gn=Feed:+xda-developers/ShsH+(xda-developers)

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
The only thing to me, that could possibly make me rethink this second gen OPO, is if the battery tests show best in class battery life for a current smartphone.

I still own a OnePlus One, and the Kit Kat ROM's gave me ridiculous great battery life, like 6.5h to 7h Screen On time. And then the Lollipop ROM's or even stock Lollipop on the OPO were a major drop in battery life compared to Kit Kat. Now my OPO is lucky to see 5h Screen On time if that.

But my main phone lately is my Nexus 6 :)

So hopefully the new hardware, little bigger battery, and Oxygen 2.0 can get the OnePlus Two battery close to the OnePlus One on Kit Kat.

I'll wait for the real world reviews first.

d3v1l.cr0

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2012
Europe
So far I've seen some sick battery results on this phone, so I'm wondering should I jump ship from the Galaxy S6 to the OnePlus Two? I can barely get 3 hours of SOT on the Galaxy which is literally the only flaw I can find on the phone.

Also how does one get an invite for the phone? I've seen it sell on ebay for $500+ which is basically iPhone 6 territory...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
So far I've seen some sick battery results on this phone, so I'm wondering should I jump ship from the Galaxy S6 to the OnePlus Two? I can barely get 3 hours of SOT on the Galaxy which is literally the only flaw I can find on the phone.

Also how does one get an invite for the phone? I've seen it sell on ebay for $500+ which is basically iPhone 6 territory...

Wait in a invite queue or compete in competitions on oneplus forums. Unless they ramp up production beyond what they achieved last year you could be waiting months and based on oneplus production (around 100,000 units by then end of they per month - initially it was much lower) based on current invite list your looking at 20 months if everyone of those that added their name to invite list purchases. (Though they won't, so really your looking at around 6-10 months unless you can circumvent it by getting an invite from an existing purchaser).

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
We all know he's going to get one. I think he gets almost every new phone that releases.

Eeek!
Eek indeed ... tbh I would have bought one if they had done away with the invite system. The prospect of going through that same rigmarole as last year completely sickens me. It's a shame it's sold in such an awful manner as the device looks much better than the oneplus one. I have read people are already buying them from Chinese wholesalers without invites (similar to last year) however with the likes of moto X 2015, S6e +, Nexus 2015 and iPhone 6s+ all due out soon over next couple of months I doubt I'll be stuck for devices to buy ;)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Update .... Somebody I know got an invite. They decided not to purchase and shared the invite to me. However it now appears invites are TIED to the original email holder and can not be shared if you decide not to redeem it.

I posted a thread at OnePlus to verify and yes this is the case .... So all those 'invite threads' people are creating are an utter waste of time.

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/invites-tied-to-e-mail-account-non-shareable.337575/

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
Update .... Somebody I know got an invite. They decided not to purchase and shared the invite to me. However it now appears invites are TIED to the original email holder and can not be shared if you decide not to redeem it.

I posted a thread at OnePlus to verify and yes this is the case .... So all those 'invite threads' people are creating are an utter waste of time.

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/invites-tied-to-e-mail-account-non-shareable.337575/
Are they attempting to stop the reselling of invites or people sharing who genuinely don't want to buy any more?

Regardless, I was quite intrigued last year and did pick up the Chinese variant shortly after launch whilst in China. This time I'm much less enthused but not sure why. It's a spec-fest and good value but can't be bothered to even watch the Chinese flash sales this time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.