Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

feflower

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2009
As others have said I don't see the point if it is not more portable- and unless it fits in your pocket (which means a 5" size) a 7 inch size brings nothing new to the table. I would rather see a higher rez display and less weight.

Yes...
I want more portability than an iPad.
I want something you can hold in one hand comfortably.
I want to thumb type.

But I want a size that you can comfortably read pdfs/books/.
I'm heading for mid-age and reading pdfs on my iPod Touch is frustrating and getting difficult.

The 7" inch is perfect--the size of a paperback (remember those?).

It will fit in a murse/purse/jacket pocket.
I never go out without some kind of bag, so I don't need something that fits in my back pocket.

The Great Boony

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2010
I don't uprate or downrate. But feel free to keep denying facts and creating fiction.

I never said Apple was making a 7" tablet. I said if they made one. So I can't be wrong, no can I?

I'm still waiting for you to show me a decent Andriod tablet that was out before the iPad....

I wont hold my breath

h4ck

macrumors regular
May 26, 2006
not to mention apple doesn't need to compete with the kindle fire.

sigh.

yakapo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
I'd pick up a 7" ipad on day one if it was $300 or less. Wifey loves her Ipad but we'd sell it for a smaller one. I may be in the minority here but - I don't care for the retina display. Keep the same res as the ipad 2 and keep it cheap. :D

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
What could happen first (in following years) is the MacBook Air could get a multitouch screen along with MacOS X gaining more and more of the sensibly transferrable features from the iPad.

Id love to see a macbook air with a swivel touchscreen so you could use it as a laptop or a tablet.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
Is it just me that wants one in the 15" to 20" range? The current iPad is too small for watching movies, and too similar to my iPhone.

Not just you.

After getting very heavy use on my iPad over the last two weeks while on a business trip I too would like one thats bigger. As I type this on my 15" MBP I think size that or slightly smaller would be great.

As soon as I saw the first iPad, I thought, "Too small." I've said on MRs a couple of times in different threads that all I want to do is rip the screen of my 15" MBP and use it as an iPad.

I don't think Apple is ever going to get serious traction in the business community with the iWork for iPad suite other than just viewing documents. No one really wants to create documents on this form factor. I think the game changer is a bigger iPad the moves the iPad from an almost pure media consumption device to a consumption AND [lite] creation device.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I'm still waiting for you to show me a decent Andriod tablet that was out before the iPad....

I wont hold my breath

What are you talking about. I was never suggesting there was or is. You initially posted

"Originally Posted by The Great Boony View Post
No doubt Google will copy the hell out of whatever will do anyway, so might as well mock up an Andriod look alike."

I pointed out you were wrong. That Google doesn't make hardware and that there are already 7" But you keep trying to change the subject instead of just admitting that you made a mistake. It's cool though. It's there in black and white for everyone to see anyway.

Have a great holiday.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
I'm rather curious about just how this would work if Apple did make it. I mean with the exception of the screen and case the internal components would be exactly the same as the current size. And if they did put in a better display I would assume the cost would be very close to the current model.

So while I can see them making one I don't see how they would be able to get the cost down enough. Some people would like one (myself included) but I don't think I would be willing to pay virtually the same amount. So, to me, the question is, is Apple willing to make a lesser profit?

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
I love the iPad2, wish it weighed 1 pound even though and half the bezel footprint.
I would definitely go for a 7.85" screen but if the bezel is the same size, that's just weird. Plus it would have to be priced at $300-$350, and it seems like that space is a bit crowded with the iPod Touch starting at $200.

*edit* Come to think of it, there's no way Apple will do this. They will still carry a base iPad2 with a reduced price, just like they do with the iPhone 3GS and choke out the oxygen from competitors. They aren't going to open a new product line and muddy the buyer's options just for this.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
Re: UI elements...

Given the size of the device relative to the phone, and the spaced-out nature of the iPad experience, it'll certainly work. Either the way it is, or just by making things larger. Certainly no need to scale things down. Just take out some of the dead-space.

I'm an owner of an iPad 2, but recently bought a Blackberry Playbook because I wanted a more portable device. And the firesale price of $199 was too good to pass up. The footprint of my iPad is just to big for me to realisticly carry it around with me.

I would get a 7 inch iPad in a heartbeat. There are things I like about the Playbook, but overall it's not nearly the device the iPad is.

Likewise. Im not overly fond of the ratio for a 7" device, but... its acceptable. More so than the current device. Oh well. If Apple won't, others will. Win 8 is just around the corner.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Call it an iBook

Okay so only make iPads with a 10" screen. Call a 7.85" one an iBook.

After holding a friend's Nook, I think that a 7.85" iPad is the right size for book reading.If you make it the same screen resolution as the iPad 2 most (if not all) current apps will work without issues.

The current iPads feel too large to carry around for reading books. An iPod Touch is too small. I want just right.

I also wouldn't mind the battery lasting a tad longer.

And of course the price should be decently less than the iPad 2.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
And if Apple can sell that iPad 7 inch for $200 (unlikely), then they can compete with the Kindle Fire. Otherwise, forget it.

Don't get me wrong, the iPad is superior in almost every way. But people aren't buying the Kindle Fire because its superior, they are buying it because its adequate and cheap.

To me personally, the iPad 9 inch size is a laptop replacement, while the iPhone/iPod Touch covers the "small". I'm not sure I see the draw in slightly smaller iPad. Of course, I said I didn't see the draw in a "big iPhone" a few years ago either, when the iPad was announced ;) But still, where does a 7 inch iPad fit in the product line? It seems 5-6 inches almost makes more sense as its closer to the in between of an iPad and iPhone.

It would compete even at 299.

The Great Boony

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2010
What are you talking about. I was never suggesting there was or is. You initially posted

"Originally Posted by The Great Boony View Post
No doubt Google will copy the hell out of whatever will do anyway, so might as well mock up an Andriod look alike."

I pointed out you were wrong. That Google doesn't make hardware and that there are already 7" But you keep trying to change the subject instead of just admitting that you made a mistake. It's cool though. It's there in black and white for everyone to see anyway.

Have a great holiday.

Why do you keep going on about hardware and software? are you confused?

Google make Android, that is SOFTWARE

Ian619

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2011
I'd pick up a 7" ipad on day one if it was $300 or less. Wifey loves her Ipad but we'd sell it for a smaller one. I may be in the minority here but - I don't care for the retina display. Keep the same res as the ipad 2 and keep it cheap. :D

Assuming they make one (I'll believe it when I see it), I think the $300 price point is unlikely.

A 32GB iPod Touch is $300 and a 32GB iPad WiFi is $600 (I chose 32GB because that is the smallest size with the same storage capacity). So where does a 7" iPad slot in? Smack dab in the middle at $450 maybe?

Long story short, I don't think you'll see a 7" iPad for significant savings versus the regular size iPad because look at the cost of the iPod Touch.

dokujaryu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
Irvine, California
I prefer tiny electronics. I always lusted over the Sony U3, but my 12" PowerBook G4 was great too.

sony-u3-1.jpg

My coworker has a 7" android tablet and an android phone. He uses the tablet for personal email and taking notes, both of which he could have done with his phone. So, that's where the argument sort of breaks down for me on portability. My phone is very small, just how I like it, and it does literally everything practical I could possibly ask it to do. For me, an iPhone 4s is probably a better spend of money so I can get a little more performance for Pages and such.

So, I think it comes down to personal preference. I would consider the 7" iPad if it had:

* iPad 2 like battery life and performance (thicker and same weight is fine)
* 4G LTE
* Price point of $400 with 32GB of memory
* A data plan on an LTE carrier in my city that worked for me

In other words, it would have to be so good, I would skip the iPhone 4S entirely, possibly the iPhone 5 too. I'm not made of money here.

yakapo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
I'm typing this post on a mac air and my wife is using her ipad right now. As far as phones, I use a Skyrocket and she has a Dell streak (we prefer large phones). If the new iphone 5 is larger I'll consider switching back.

Who cares if google or anyone else copies apple? Apple didn't invent the tablet pc (or whatever you want to call it). Do all of you drive Fords? I hope Google, Amazon and every other company take the best aspects from apple products and improve on them. I hope apple does the same. (Just like apple did in regards to online book sales) Competition is good for the consumer.

klrobinson999

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2008
is it a smaller iPad or a larger iPod Touch? It will be $199-$249 to compete, and the current Touch will surely drop to around $99 or so. I look for a complete re-invention of the iOS line myself.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Why do you keep going on about hardware and software? are you confused?

Google make Android, that is SOFTWARE

For the last time. Sincerely - because you're obviously suffering from the inability to read your own posts.

"No doubt Google will copy the hell out of whatever will do anyway, so might as well mock up an Andriod look alike."

Google will copy what? A 7" tablet? As I said - they don't make hardware.
7" Tablets running Android already exist. So how (even IF Google made hardware) would Google be copying Apple who if/when they made a 7" tablet if the Apple 7" came after?

The person confused is not me, sir. Tis you. Not going to argue/discuss this point with you further since you obviously don't get it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.