This is what I think I will get:

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by trainguy77, Oct 2, 2006.

1. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I am thinking this config:

2.66 ghz
    1 gb of ram
    x1900xt
    airport bluetooth
    160 gb drive

everything else standard. I also need a monitor it does not need to be anything really big so i was thinking: http://www.samsung.com/Products/Monitor/LCD_Digital/LS19MEPSFVXAA.asp However I don't really like there dead pixel policy, but is it better or worse then other manufacturers? I am new to the LCD thing.

Any thoughts on the system?

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I personally would look for a widescreen monitor. I have a 19" regular LCD, and wish I had a widescreen for movies and such.

Other than that, the system looks good (Mac Pro, I presume?). You might want to add third-party RAM down the line, I know I was glad I did, but I'm running a Core Solo, and not a Dual-Xeon. So ya know.

3. Mundy macrumors regular

Seems like a good configuration to me. Of course, that's the configuration I just ordered, so I'm a bit biased. :D

I've also purchased 4 gigabytes of RAM from OWC, since it would be a crime to use this system with only 1 gigabyte. I'm getting a couple of Western Digital RE2 500 gigabyte hard drives as well.

I wrestled a lot over what monitor to get for my Mac Pro. I wanted an Apple Cinema Display, but just couldn't justify the price difference. I've ordered two Dell 2007WFP displays ($359 each right now—same panel as Apple's 20" Cinema Display), and while I don't expect to be thrilled with them, they should get the job done.

I like Samsung monitors as well. That would have been my second choice.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I agree...everything is going widescreen these days. The 4:3 aspect ratio is going the way of the dinosaurs.

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

That monitor in question looks like a good monitor, but as livingfortoday has said, I would reccomend that you go with a widescreen LCD. :)

6. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

looks like a really good configuration, but as everyone is saying i agree, go with a widescreen monitor

7. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i also say it looks good. i ordered the same thing except with the 250 GB hard drive. just ordered it today (10/2/06)

8. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

hmmm........OK well what LCD would you recommend that is widescreen? I am new to the LCD thing.....I would like to keep it under $400 cdn.

9. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well dang. i guess it's too late now though. man i'm mad now

10. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

Will I save money becoming a ADC member when I am not a college student? O and I heard developers get free copies of the OS is this true? If so it may be worth it.

11. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

The cost of being a developer(non student) is significantly more than the student ADC price. But yes you will get discounted hardware and and all the other perks.

12. Cowinacape macrumors regular

Take a look, if you like at the 22" widescreen Acer monitors (ncix.com, and tigerdirect.ca) both have them. I got two of them (from NCIX) for little better than 900 dollars, definetly not the greatest monitors out there, but for the price, and the huge amount of realestate you get, seeed like a decent deal to me. Just my two cents worth.

13. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Here is what you get with the various levels of ADC...the good benefits start at the $500/year level.

14. richpjr macrumors 68020

richpjr

I joined ADC and just ordered a Mac Pro with 2.66/2 gig ram/250 gig drive/x1900xt/bluetooth/wireless/2 superdrives/wireless keyboard and mouse. The price before shipping and tax was $3288 regularly. Under the ADC program it was $2630. It more than pays for the $500 price. I got my boss to pay for it so it saved me that much more!

15. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

I am thinking of getting the Samsung 205BW 20-inch Does anyone have one of these? What do you think of it?

16. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Although I've never had a viewsonic display this seems like a good deal. $211US for a 19" widescreen.