This is why I am switching

Discussion in 'Switch Stories' started by cwedl, Jul 2, 2003.

1. macrumors 65816

cwedl

Every Switch story I have heard begins with

"My PC crashes all the time"

"My PC crashed every second"

I Have been using PCS all my life and yes I am switching. But my PC rarely crashes in fact I can't remember the last time it crashed.

So why am I switching, Because I like the look of apple computers.
    The operating System looks Good, and is every easy to use
    The IApps look really good and I have used them

But most importantly

I want to open the lid of my laptop, do my studying, check my e-mails and then close the lid

Not

open the lid of my laptop, turn on the computer, plug it to the mains because of its poor battery life, do my studying check my e-mails, get side tracked talking to friends on MSN etc

Even though I know you can do this on a mac laptop, I don't want to do this, I don't want to spend all my time on computers, I want to enjoy my time at university and spend more time in the gym.

2. macrumors 6502

matthew24

Welcome

You could have a thousand reasons to switch, anyway: WELCOME from all of us.

3. macrumors 6502a

celaurie

Who cares what the reasons are!

Welcome to the light!

4. macrumors 603

solvs

When they say "crashing" they could mean all sorts of different things. My Mom used to say the computer we had "crashed" all the time, but she could have meant it froze, or a program crashed, or it wouldn't shut down, etc. Plus a lot of people are still using Win9x.

Consider yourself lucky, though. I "crash" my PC all the time.

5. macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

Friends and family are always asking me to "fix" their PC. Usually, they've installed coutless programs (their desktops are full of shortcut icons) and are running a dozen or so system enhancement apps (those things that have icons on the very right side of the task bar. Their hard drive are nearly full and or they only have 64 MB of RAM. Then I have to explain about virtual memory and swapping and organizing their files.

A lot of this would apply to Macs as well except that everyone I know who owns a Mac knows their way around a computer.

6. macrumors 6502

Re: This is why I am switching

I actually switched for the same reason.. My PC was pretty stable (although it took quite a bit of work to keep it that way), but I found that I got sick of its mundane looks and it just became generally unappealing. :(
    Bad thing is .. when I got my Mac, I loved it so much I couldn't just close the lid and do something else! It looks and works great and it just keeps pulling me back.

Maybe I should switch back to a Windows PC so I can be bored again and get out more often ;) :cool: heh

7. macrumors newbie

Seems to me the only reason to switch is for looks, especially when looking at the apple site, where they compair apple to like windows 95...

The Mac ... Just Works , And PC's dont?

It doesnt crash , When was the lasting XP SP1 crashed.

Simple the best in digital music , I have to admit the Ipod is a very nice peice of kit, expensive for a MP3 player but nice. Although it also works on PC.

The missing link in digital photography , Dont see how this is any different from the PC, although not as many digital cameras work on mac.

Your own digital entertainment centre , iMovie , iDVD hmm Windows Media Player.

Goes everywhere you go , Well doesnt a laptop to? Check out the Dell Latitudes if you want small laptops.

It's built for the internet , although you can use most the prog's you download. And whats wrong with the PC and the Internet.

Office is Office and then some , What makes me laugh is they are talking about Microsoft Office....

Works effortlessly with PC's , So does a PC ;)

It's Beautiful , Well I thought this was the only advantage the mac has, but ive seen some stunning PC's you can buy.

These are the 10 reasons apple give to convince you to spend an extra 500 and get a mac. I know you guys wont agree but...

No thanks

8. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Mac is the best system, period. Ease of use, iapps, I love iphoto, simplicity of the mac is its strength and with the new g5 come on. What is going to touch it???? Apple Has had the Best software, and now hardware.

9. macrumors newbie

Maybe the Intel Pentium 3? hehe

Geez macs are good for work but nothing else. I mean someone made a PC emulator for mac and all you guys use it. So why didnt they make a mac emulator for PC?

10. macrumors 6502

I'm with Don't Hurt Me on this one. PCs are nice, but nothing more than that. Apple computers are durable (look at many people still running their OLD classic Macs), powerful and easy to use. A lot of attention to detail goes into them (their hardware and software) and it's the subtle stuff that counts, it really makes a difference. Sure, you could be happy with a PC, but that "$500" is what makes the computing experience worthwhile.. As many people on this site have said, "you get what you pay for". :)

11. macrumors 68000

agreenster

What are you talking about? Ive never seen Windows Media Player edit digital video or burn a DVD...!?!?!

Again, what are you talking about?

12. macrumors 6502a

If you think really hard about this you may come up with an answer yourself...

BTW you should for example check out the details of Panther (aka Mac OS X 10.3). It may give you an idea or two on why Windows just doesn't cut it for us.

13. macrumors newbie

Windows movie maker, or to burn DVD's theres Nero, Alcohol 120% and more.

I would like a Mac cause they look cool especially the powerbooks, but i cant really see what i can do more on a mac. I mean like i said Macs are great at working, but so is my laptop i mean running a word processing package like Word Xp pro isnt exactly processor intensive. And also i ment £500 maybe more. I cant remember but a top of the range dell lappy you can get for around 1800 - 2000 a starting model 17" powerbook starts at £2500, and i cant justify that for a dumbed down PC.

14. macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Mac since 2002!

I'd been looking at the Mac side a while before switching--OS X (finally, a real and decent GUI over Unix!) and my brother-in-law's sexy TiBook were tempting, but not quite convincing.

Then I tried upgrading my IBM ThinkPad from Windows ME (which is the most unstable Windows in the 9.x series) to Windows 2000, and Win 2K just would NOT deal with the soundcard no matter how many drivers and patches I applied. After about three evenings spent raising my blood pressure, I said THAT'S IT! And bought my TiBook, with AirPort and iPod to go with it.

Yes, Apple's exaggerating the case a bit on their switcher page. Both platforms accomplish basically the same things in very similar ways. But I've found that the Mac makes me actually look forward to time on my computer, makes me want to explore more. I want to try Konfabulator. I want a digital camera. I want to try setting up a PVR system and a mailserver. I want to get into Unix more. I look forward to updates from Apple 'cause they've almost always got something neat and new added. My computer isn't a billboard for the products of corporate partners every time I install software or bring up a page in the default browser. I miss not having more time with my computer. I won't even get started on my iPod. :D

In short, there's more to it than either form or function. And function is really the only area where I feel the Wintel side is equivalent.

As ever, your mileage may vary. :)

15. macrumors newbie

huh?

OMG you sound like christian (AKA cwedl)

16. macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-BlackICE

Clearly you need to spend more time on a Mac. If you did, you wouldn't make comments like this, and you'd understand rueyeet's remark.

Unlike a PC, a Mac is far more than the sum of the parts. The OS alone is good, the Hardware is good, the software is good, but put them together, and you get an experience, not just another user session.

Please work on broadening your horizons a bit.

17. thread starter macrumors 65816

cwedl

This sounds like one of my workmates, called steven, I believe it is him because firstly how did he know my name is Christian?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28729

This is who I was talking about in this post a few weeks ago.

He doesn't own a mac, he never will, He is what you call a Microsoft Addict, He wants to marry Bill Gates, I'm sure of that.

He also registered yesterday, that was he founf out about macrumors.com.

So steven you are named and shamed.

Guys don't listen to what he is saying he is purely trying to wind you up!!

18. macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-cwedl

I remember that thread. Ahh, small world.

Hmm. I hope he can open his mind a little. I can respect opinion and decisions when they're based on an informed basis, but the language BlackICE used the mark of a closed mind, and deserves little respect. But we mac users are used to it. Remember, we live in a Windows world, so Mac users tend to understand both operating systems, and therefore tend to be informed.

A question that most uninformed Windows users tend to not even think of, is "If Mac users understand both operating systems, why use a Mac? What is is about the Mac that garners such loyalty?"

There's got to be a reason. Nothing happens without some motivation.

19. macrumors 6502

You know why there is no mac emulator? Because a CISC(x86) Processor is less technologically advanced and cannot emulate RISC (PPC) Code. That is also the reason you will not find a Nintendo Gamecube emulator for Windows either. The PPC is able to interpret X86 code, but the opposite is not true. And the Powerbook G5 is coming. care to sho me a 64 bit PC notebook anytime soon?

20. macrumors 65816

rueyeet

That's exactly it. And those who can't tell the difference, will never know the difference, and to them, the difference will never matter. It's like fine wines, or gourmet food: If someone's palate can't percieve a distinction between the two, they'll never see the point. If someone has no sense of pitch, they'll never know when they're singing off key.

And of course, no one will ever be able to explain it to them, either.

Vive la difference! (yes, yes: imagine the accents. ;) )

21. macrumors 68040

tazo

i liked how he compared like a 14'' laptop latitude to a 17'' dell. the latitude doesnt have the firewire (i think), has a smaller screen, definitely no dvd burner, none of the iApps.

Of course a bigger screen, more add ons, and a dvd burner are going to cost more :rolleyes:

22. macrumors newbie

It has firewire, dont think you can get dvd burner standard but you can preorder them through dell.

-- your talkin about latitude... soz

I cant see the point of macs because a PC/laptop can do erverything the mac can do, and more. And macs are generally more expensive? also you are very limited with hardware upgrades.

23. macrumors 603

I think it's time to bring out the antizealot brigade again.

Before that happens, I have to agree on the hardware, with the exception of the G5 and IBM. The G5 is a step ladder for hardcore hardware support. Motorola does real nice in putting out $350 cell phones (one of which I have) and not providing excess hardware support for Macs.

Also, if I want gaming performance, if I don't want a G5 (which I think is unintelligent) I'll get a $500 PC.

>I cant see the point of macs because a PC/laptop can do erverything the mac can do, and more. And macs are generally more expensive? (WifeOfBillGates)

Explain "more expensive". That can be used in several different ways. The addition of PC repair prices, phone service, and additional services in terms of prices to a cheap PC is more than the average Mac, plus repair services, phone service, and additional services, because Macs require less repair.

Software is a key element with Apple and Macs. When was the last time an audio mp3 desktop player encoded AAC quickly for no charge? Can PC apps compete in the stability of iTunes, or perhaps the stability of OS 10.2.x?

But, in the end, Macs and PCs each have leading peaks in specific areas.

It depends on what you do most with a computer that makes you feel like either Macs or PCs are better. But I'll be damned if you constantly operate your main computer for purposes in which every advantage goes to only one side.

24. macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Originally posted by BlackICE
    Seems to me the only reason to switch is for looks
    Looks are just the cherry on top.

The Mac ... Just Works , And PC's dont?
    NO, THEY DON'T! I was a PC user for a long time--from DOS to Windows XP. I was good too--I could get Windows to do pretty much what I wanted it to to. Not always well, but I could coerce Windows into making things happen. The first thing that impressed me about the Mac is that things just work right the first time 99% of the time. No registry hack or voodoo needed.

It doesnt crash , When was the lasting XP SP1 crashed.
    XP is the most stable version of Windows. If you've used Windows for a long time it's godhead. That's Windows though. I crashed XP way more than I crash OS X--and I do a lot more on OS X.

The missing link in digital photography , Dont see how this is any different from the PC, although not as many digital cameras work on mac.
    Where do you get this from? I'll bet that if you plugged a bunch of random digital cameras into a Mac it would work with at least 90% of them.

Your own digital entertainment centre , iMovie , iDVD hmm Windows Media Player.
    There is no comparison at all. Let me get my own personal issue out of the way--none of the iApps report back to the mothership about what I'm listening to or whether my apps have valid serial numbers. Okay, with that out of the way--WMP will not play DVDs or rip mp3s without buying a 3rd party app for at least $20. XP doesn't come with anything to author DVDs. As for editing digital video with WMP--you can get your video off the camera and do some basic editing. It doesn't come close to iMovie in that respect. WMP is a joke.

And whats wrong with the PC and the Internet.
    Spyware, viruses, Internet Explorer, and Outlook Express.

Office is Office and then some , What makes me laugh is they are talking about Microsoft Office....

Ironic, isn't it? MS Office is actually better on the Mac. I love it. By the way, weren't Word and Excel on the Mac first?

Works effortlessly with PC's , So does a PC ;)
    I can network a PC and a Mac a lot easier than I can network 2 PCs.

These are the 10 reasons apple give to convince you to spend an extra 500 and get a mac. I know you guys wont agree but...

And you probably won't agree with anything we say either. We'll have to agree to disagree...or wage a holy war. They can't market a feeling, unfortunately. You don't realize or undersand most of the really good things about a Mac until you have one.

25. macrumors newbie

Ive never had to pay for PC service charges, ive had 3 PC's and my laptop. Ive spend around 2000 on my laptop and nothing else.

Whereas 99% would work in a PC. Believe me ive tried literally hundreds of camcorders and cameras. Well about 90.

So you never ever ever get any of these on macs? Besides only dumbarses download viruses. Your not a dumbarse are you?

Yes because plugging one ethenet cable from one PC to another is so hard(!)