This is why I sitll love Nintendo...

Discussion in 'Games' started by calyxman, May 21, 2005.

1. calyxman macrumors 6502a

calyxman

Yeah I've gone through my rants about everything Nintendo is doing or has done. But this article explains why I still look up to the big "N":

http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?articleid=7415446b-7294-4323-a9fd-d758cc799768&page=currentNews

I sometimes get disgusted to my stomach at some of the games being marketted out there. All the blood and gore, it's like playing a horror film.

Just check out Sega's Condemned Criminal Origins. Is that supposed to be pure fun and clean entertainment?

What ever happened to the good old fighting games like Street Fighter II, Double Dragon, and Streets of Rage? Some thought those games were violent at the time. :rolleyes:

Anyways, that's my rant. :p

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I agree! I like Nintendo because they experiment - some of their ideas don't do so well, but a good number of them are quite successful.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

another agree-er.

everyone wants to be something these days. they want to be pro boy-racers, or drug dealers or gangsta's or whatever. i love how some game companies just want to make good games, not cool not crappy, but real games. Sega and Nintendo are in that list. and Factor 5 are alright :)

this is why the GBA is my preferred gaming platform. me and my girlfriend just completed Kirby 'Nightmare in dreamland' on co-op Extra mode tonight, and it was possibly the most fun we've had in a game since Smash Bros a few hours ago.

Sure the Resident Evils and such are alright, but give me innovation anyday.

4. calyxman thread starter macrumors 6502a

calyxman

Is there a way to fix the typo in the title of this thread?

5. applecrag macrumors regular

this is another reason that i still like NES and SNES games better than anything today. the old NES zeldas still have me hooked. i also miss back when the controls were only "A" button, "B" button "select" and "start." now there are triangles, squares, x, y, etc.....

6. 7on macrumors 601

7on

7. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I have to agree with that too :D

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Agreed. I think the N64 had the sweet-spot compromise between ease-of-use and range of controls. I've played a little bit on a Gamecube and it's a train-wreck. Why did they have to make it so complicated?

9. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Better than the train wreck Playstation controller. To this day I have trouble distinguishing the O, X, ?, and ?. Only buttons I have a hard time distinguishing on the GCN is the X and Y. One of the buttons should have ben white or black or something.

Games become more complicated because of more features. Like the move from 2D into 3D. The GCN controller has the same buttons as the N64 controller has, with exception that the C buttons are now the C stick - which I admit is a bit unwieldily.

10. calyxman thread starter macrumors 6502a

calyxman

Well I don't mind either complexity or simplicity in games today. The point I was trying to make is that some games only offer gory violence as a selling point. At least Nintendo has the courage to say "you know what, this kind of gaming serves no point."

11. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I love nintendo basically for the Zelda series. It has to be one of my favorite games. I can't wait for the new Zelda game to come out. There are quite a few gory games out, but i really don't mind them. Nintendo i always found was geared more towards kids and young teens.

12. Jadeite312 macrumors newbie

Nintendo does go the extra mile to make something new. Still kinda torn on there touch screen portable but hey its something new, maybe the new metroid game will change my mind. Most of the best games ive ever played were from either nintendo, square, konami, capcom and sega.
    That sega game graphics look kinda like doom3 dont they? I wonder if sega will make another nights game and another panzer dragoon.

13. 0s and 1s macrumors 6502a

0s and 1s

Fun? To a specific gamer, yes. Clean entertainment? No, of course not.

If I may ask, what's your point?

14. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I don't think I'll ever dislike nintendo, they may be mid-spec level, but at least they do try new things, they work with their platform and don't just leave it hanging (unlike I can see Microsoft doing). Zelda is their best game to date, I mean people are creating 2D Zelda's (on Pc though, rats), but everyone loves Zelda - but there was quite a stir when the rumor went around that they were making it for xbox only. Besides that, Mario started the whole Nintendo Corps. really.

15. iQuit macrumors 6502a

iQuit

RE:

Nintendo should sale out and be a third part game developer,so we can have no more Nintendo consoles but have the few good games they have on our XBOX 360 and PS3. Mario should just quit,after the 200th game I got bored of it,they overuse Mario,the originals were good,now they have pushed there limits. Zelda is probably the only game that is worthwile for the time being,the GCN saled ok,but was a failure,same with the DS.

16. iQuit macrumors 6502a

iQuit

RE:

I just don't think Nintendo has what it takes anymore to stay in the game,they offered me enjoyment as a little boy,I have grown up a little now and change is a good thing,they can't fully push there hardware or software like they should be able to,I'm fed up with Pokeman and Mario.

17. iQuit macrumors 6502a

iQuit

RE:

Nintendo has had a few great titles on the GCN,such as the new Zelda and the old,Metroid,StarFox,and Super Smash Bros,but inbetween nothing that really impressed me. The new Zelda is impressive though,I love Zelda,if Nintendo could just expand there brains to Mario and there 1st party kiddy games I would pick them over MS and Sony. Zelda does show there potential though.

18. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

you could have just made that one post iQuit :rolleyes:

and i agree with many of the others in this thread, Nintendo has 'fun' games that while may not be like Vice City are just plain and simply fun to play and are enjoyable! i think maybe i will pick up a game cube this summer and just enjoy the games and have some fun

19. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Meh, I don't think Nintendo will ever fail. They have a pretty steady feed from hardcore fans. And I have a hard time believing a company founded in 1889 would loose so easily.

20. Macamus Prime macrumors regular

Here are the Gamecube games I love.

- Mario Kart Double Dash
    - Metriod Prime (sorry, don't like 2)
    - Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes
    - Resident Evil Zero
    - Resident Evil 1 Remake
    - Resident Evil 4
    - Animal Crossing

Prime, Mario Kart and Animal Crossing I can not find anywhere else. Crash Bandicoot is in the same catagory but Dash blows it away. Prime is the 1st FPS that doesn't feel like a FPS. And Animal Crossing is like the SIMS (best way to describe it) with out feeling like you have to work hard to play the game. Animal Crossing lets you have fun in creating your virtual home.

And Soul Calibur 2 is a nice fighting game. There aren't any violent finishing moves, but its violence without going over the top (Mortal Kombat).

So, Nintedo has its fare share of non-gore games and gore games.

21. DarkNovaMatter macrumors member

count me in as one of those that still likes Nintendo. I have always liked new and quirky games, in fact this is what made me get a gamecube (well that and metroid prime) and made me get Deus Ex (a few months after consol launch- DX was on mac). It amazes me how hooked I was after playing DX- it wasn't a shooter, it was a living,breathing world. Interactivity, changing world with how you acted, etc. When HL2 and another title (I forget the name) were announced, the developers of said games said they were inspired by DX and were to include certain aspects into their own game. I was thrilled- untill I found out all they had was improved graphics and a use object in world function.

One thing that i agree with Nintendo on is with more powerful hardware comes more time needed to make the same game, and more money for the project. With these occuring I am afriad that we will have a progression of games like on the current consoles. Shortened games so it can be picked up/put down at any time, and less depth/new ideas to gameplay because of the graphics taking more and more of the budget. Its sort of like asking people what they think of electroplankton- some people like new ways/ideas of doing stuff, while others don't like it/feel its gimmicky but like 100 clones of an fps. Its amazing with games like DX,Thief, System Shock, etc. that these ideas (as much as they are liked) haven't caught on in much more games.

22. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

You forgot Rare :D

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

my top list of games ever, in order, but with SSB:M should rank a little higher up :)

1) Turrican 2 (amiga)
    2) Metroid Prime 1+2 (cube)
    3) Mario Bros 3 (Nes)
    4) Mario World (Gba)
    5) Goldeneye (N64)
    6) Links Awakening (GB)
    7) Halo 1 (NOT 2, Xbox)
    8) Smash Bros Melee (Cube)
    9) Jet Force Gemini (N64)
    10) Ocarina of Time (N64)
    11) Mario 64 (N64/DS)
    12) F-Zero X/GX (N64/Cube)
    13) Yoshis Island (GBA)
    14) Panzer Dragoon Orta (Xbox)
    15) Sonic 2 (Mega Drive)
    16) any GBA Pokemon game
    17) any Kirby game

and i own every major console except the PS2 (sold on quickly). still got most of em too. nintendo make my kind of games :) and they probably will never stop making games, so long as they're kept different from Sony and M$, who frankly should just merge together into 1 console they're so similar *expects a number-demon to pop up and say that the PS3 is more powerful etc...* im talking in how much they're trying to innovate the industry :rolleyes:

24. calyxman thread starter macrumors 6502a

calyxman

I already explained it.

25. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Favorite GCN game: Pikmin 1 and 2.

It is a very unique and fun game.