This makes macs look bad....

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by killuminati, Feb 13, 2005.

1. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I wanted to make this my background and there was a set of instructions on the webpage for pc and for mac. {look at image}

There should be an option in safari to ctrl click something and be able to select "set as background". It would be quite useful as I download a lot of backgrounds and it is a hastle to have to go into the system preferences to change it.

Attached Files:

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Maybe if you submit feedback to Apple they will put it in the next bulid of Tiger. Its really easy I would imagine.

3. killuminati thread starter macrumors 68020

killuminati

Good idea, I'll do that right now :)

4. inlimbo macrumors 6502

Do you have to go through the same process if u r running Firefox? I dont own a mac yet so I dont know... If not, thats pretty stupid - i cant belive apple has not put this simple function into its OS.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Sure, that's one of the few places where a Macintosh takes a few extra steps.

As a Windows user, I was never sure where those backgrounds went so I always downloaded them to a certain directory and used the Control Panel to set the wallpaper anyway. ;)

6. killuminati thread starter macrumors 68020

killuminati

I went to Apple's site to give them some feedback on safari. Apparently they dont care about our opinions on safari. Only these select programs: http://www.apple.com/feedback/

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Yeah, you do. Firefox doesn't have such an option either. And I wouldn't go so far as calling the lack of such an option stupid...

8. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

Just go up to Safari -> Report Bugs to Apple...

send the complaint as a bug

9. generationxwing macrumors 6502

generationxwing

Yeah, that is odd. And I still can't believe that the scrolling trackpad is new to Apple. My schyttee - and I can't emphasize that enough - Compaq laptop that's 2 years old has that. C'mon Apple, you're innovators. These examples are weak!

P.S I'm still getting my iBook, just now a few months later. Stupid car transmission died, so there goes $2000!

sigh.

10. killuminati thread starter macrumors 68020

killuminati

Good idea, I'll try that

11. killuminati thread starter macrumors 68020

killuminati

:eek: Thats perfect for me, thank you!

I'll evaluate it then decide if I want to purchase

12. MacUser1 macrumors 6502

MacUser1

Maybe it would be under Mac OS X, then Internet/Web...not sure if that would work though. :confused:

13. killuminati thread starter macrumors 68020

killuminati

ahh, good idea. I just checked that out and it does work. I should have thought of that though. :rolleyes:

14. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Seriously, how often does someone change their desktop picture from images downloaded from the web?

15. killuminati thread starter macrumors 68020

killuminati

I do it quite often.

16. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

If You aren't planning on keeping the picture long, just drag-and-drop from the current location (on safari or equivalent) and drag to the desktop thingy in preferences

kyle

17. killuminati thread starter macrumors 68020

killuminati

Where does that place the picture?

I wouldnt like to do that though because I like to keep a folder with all my desktop pics incase I ever want to go back to something.

18. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

How does this make the Mac look bad? The one-step download and installation of wallpaper is a serious security risk. Just because the website says that it's downloading wallpaper does not mean it is downloading only wallpaper.

19. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

?

If it is a JPEG, why would it be anything else?

Unless its an .exe (and Macs don't have to worry about that), how is a JPEG, GIF, or any other picture format a security risk? All Windows does when you do that is download it, copy it in the User folder\Application Data, while converting it into a .BMP

The only "risk" is if you are at work and put up an "inappropriate" picture. But other than a political/ethical standpoint, I don't see how "Set A Desktop/Wallpaper" is a security risk.

20. sirius1722 macrumors member

Yeah, that was one of the things that miffed me about OS X when I switched. I change my background a lot because I download a bunch all the time (I have over 2000) and I found it cumbersome to go into Sys Pref, and all that.

I did find a program on VersionTracker called [DesktopControl] that lets you drag any image onto the icon (I keep mine in the dock) and it changes the background for you. That DeskShade program looked cool, but I am pretty cheap and DesktopControl is free. :p Sorry if that sounded like a infomercial (its late, that's all that's in my head right now...). Hope some of you can put it to use....

21. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

It's not any kind of security risk. You're simply telling the browser to dump the current image's bits into a bitmap file of some sort (JPEG, BMP, etc.) and then use that as wallpaper. This is all well-established and there's no way to create a bitmap that will somehow hijack the user's machine.

That Safari doesn't offer this option is kinda lame.

22. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I guess you've all forgotten about the security issue with JPEGs that came up a few months ago.

23. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Yes

Some thing can be done a lot easier and it would not require a lot of work from apple either :rolleyes: hope it comes in Tiger :D

24. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

http://www.microsoft.com/security/bulletins/200409_jpeg.mspx