Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Not that it really applies, but my desktops rotate through the contents of a folder (I fetch all my pics from APOD, checking daily for the "good" ones). That folder is on my desktop. When I see a pic I like, I drag it from Safari to the folder:
  • Press mouse button.
  • Drag to folder
  • Release mouse button
Rough, exhausting work. And, unlike Windows, it's clear to me where the pictures are located.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
jsw said:
Not that it really applies, but my desktops rotate through the contents of a folder (I fetch all my pics from APOD, checking daily for the "good" ones). That folder is on my desktop. When I see a pic I like, I drag it from Safari to the folder:
  • Press mouse button.
  • Drag to folder
  • Release mouse button
Rough, exhausting work. And, unlike Windows, it's clear to me where the pictures are located.

Yes, but that only works because you are rotating pics. If I am browsing a site and see a picture i want to set as my desktop right away, I dont want to have to save it, then go into the preferences and find it and change it.

It would just be one small feature that wouldnt exactly be hard for apple to put in. For the people who would use it, great. and for the ones who wouldnt oh well, it doesnt make a difference to them.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Back to the original topic. This may explain why so many PCs have tiled desktops, or badly stretched, or something like that... I love seeing 800x600 desktops tiled on a 1024x768 display, when they would look just fine stretched... Letting the computer decide how to display it is a bad idea. When you change the desktop on a Mac, you're faced with a menu to pick it yourself, because a desktop picture is more involved than simply choosing an image file.

But yes, it doesn't look great that the Mac instructions are longer. But again, the Mac install steps for most software are the opposite, just one or two steps (like "insert CD") while the windows ones go on and on, and that hasn't made everyone switch to Mac... so I don't think people pay attention to this.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
paulwhannel said:
Letting the computer decide how to display it is a bad idea. When you change the desktop on a Mac, you're faced with a menu to pick it yourself, because a desktop picture is more involved than simply choosing an image file.

It wouldn't be that hard to write a program to decide for you would it? If it's smaller than a certain size relative to the screen the center it, otherwise just have it fill the screen.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
bousozoku said:
Apparently, someone clicked the tab next to desktop. ;)

uhhh ... oops. <quickly clicks back onto the 'desktop' tab and hopes no one notces> :eek:

i don't like this feature ... unless implemented in a way that it will create a folder in your Pictures folder called 'downloaded images' and let's you choose the default scaling for the images you ctrl-click on.

i used to use this on my work PC until i realized the the image i downloaded is mysteriously gone when i do it again. that really sucks when it's an imaged you really like and can't remember where it's from.

the 'feauture' is not really all that important.

peace | neut

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
neut said:
i like this feature if it's implemented in a way that it will create a folder in your Pictures folder called 'downloaded images' and let's you choose the default scaling for the images you ctrl-click on.

thats exactly how I was thinking it should be done.

the 'feauture' is not really all that important.

peace | neut

I never said it was important. Its just a feature that I would use often and would like to see in an updated safari. :)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
killuminati said:
Yes, but that only works because you are rotating pics. If I am browsing a site and see a picture i want to set as my desktop right away, I dont want to have to save it, then go into the preferences and find it and change it.

It would just be one small feature that wouldnt exactly be hard for apple to put in. For the people who would use it, great. and for the ones who wouldnt oh well, it doesnt make a difference to them.
Works for non-rotating image selection as well. Create an AppleScript containing:
Code:
on adding folder items to this_folder after receiving added_items
	try
		tell application "Finder"
			set desktop picture to the last item in added_items
		end tell
	end try
end adding folder items to
Enable Folder Actions.
Associate the above script with your images folder.
Drag an image to the folder and it'll appear as your Desktop.
Just did this with my APOD folder. When I "rotate" images, it works as it did before. When I stop rotating, it immediately sets to picture to the latest one I dragged to it.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
jsw said:
Works for non-rotating image selection as well. Create an AppleScript containing:
Code:
on adding folder items to this_folder after receiving added_items
	try
		tell application "Finder"
			set desktop picture to the last item in added_items
		end tell
	end try
end adding folder items to
Enable Folder Actions.
Associate the above script with your images folder.
Drag an image to the folder and it'll appear as your Desktop.
Just did this with my APOD folder. When I "rotate" images, it works as it did before. When I stop rotating, it immediately sets to picture to the latest one I dragged to it.

ummmmmmmmmmm......
you trying to tell me to do something with some sort of something code would be like me trying talking to you in urdu (some language my friend told me about).

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
killuminati said:
ummmmmmmmmmm......
you trying to tell me to do something with some sort of something code would be like me trying talking to you in urdu (some language my friend told me about).
Yaad karna har ghari us yaar ka hai wazifa mujh dil-e-bimaar ka. :eek:

Aarzoo-e-chasma-e-kausar nahin tishna-lab hun sharbat-e-didaar ka. ;)

Aakbat kya howega maalum nahin dil hua hai mubtla dildaar ka. :D

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 6, 2004
jsw said:
Yaad karna har ghari us yaar ka hai wazifa mujh dil-e-bimaar ka. :eek:

Aarzoo-e-chasma-e-kausar nahin tishna-lab hun sharbat-e-didaar ka. ;)

Aakbat kya howega maalum nahin dil hua hai mubtla dildaar ka. :D

hahahhahahahaha,

I can't figure out if you were actually saying something or not. It sounds like what my freind says........... :)

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
Edot said:
These are the same people that wonder why a computer needs a cup holder.

H-oh! Windows wins there also!!!

On macs, you have the stupid! sliding discy things and on windows you have the supa' fly THINGY THAT SLIDES OUT WITH A HOLE IN IT!!! I put pepsi in there :p :p :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;) ;)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
killuminati said:
hahahhahahahaha,

I can't figure out if you were actually saying something or not. It sounds like what my freind says........... :)
I'm a fake (fakir? ;)). I stole it from here.

Apple Hobo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2004
A series of tubes
Mav451 said:
Nice. You used Windows 95, as an example, when are now living in the year 2005. Very nice.

You missed the point of the whole message.

Again, you can make any platform look bad depending on how you write the instructions to do a simple task. Therefore, the date of my example instructions is irrelevant. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.