This PC will smoke a mac, and its price!

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacAztec, Feb 19, 2003.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Wow, I found this deal on DealMac (well DealNews).

Here

That thing is a great deal. Its 1100 dollars with a coupon code. Look at those friggin specs. And the tower actually looks really nice.

How do they offer such nice computers, with such nice specs, for such a low price?!?

I know, you are going to reply *it runs Windows*

But it can run unix or linux or whatever.

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

:'( :'(
    you were right. i'm starting to get pissed. this is a PC though!!!! nothing can beat a mac. :mad:
    well it can run linux *thinking*
    *shrug* it comes with windows though.

3. King Cobra macrumors 603

That site is dedicated to doing little or no business with Apple. This is the only computer they offer:

The original iMac 233MHz

It's the same computer I am using to type this, though, the one from the link is selling for $470 and works quite well with OS 9.

As for that underpriced PC, again, the site is dedicated towards PC sales. If the people owning the site suddenly wake up and see the Apple-lit candles, they may offer a PowerMac at $1000. :rolleyes:

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

It is a great deal. If I had $1,500 for a computer right now, I
    would get that.

5. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I dont fully understand your last paragraph.

I know there was sarcasm there (i think), but nobody will ever sell a new PMac for that little because...well...apple is over priced. lol.

6. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

you mean 1100? Shoot, that can still get you a 17" LCD and still be cheaper than the 17" iMac!

7. janey macrumors 603

janey

a 17" iMac with an ADC discount?

8. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Well, even then, there about the same price. But the sony is still triple the mhz, double the hd, double the RAM, etc.

9. King Cobra macrumors 603

>(MacAztec) I know there was sarcasm there (i think), but nobody will ever sell a new PMac for that little because...well...apple is over priced. lol.

The site lists so much crap at up to 80 percent off, mostly around 40 percent, though. And a lot of the equipment sold there is old. Given an older PowerMac at around $1800 on current prices it could be reduced and sold as $1000, +/-.

BTW: Is that your avatar, or are there infant worms on my screen? :p

10. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: This PC will smoke a mac, and its price!

it's not that it runs XP, it's that it runs XP home :rolleyes: . that said, apple is really "vain" about hardware, and a lot of it is overpriced. This is a good deal, sure. but it can't run OS X. i am not happy with just linux or unix (wouldn't suggest unix, it tends to cost more than windows). i love OS X. that's the price we pay. we put up with a company that puts up with motorola, and even less that would still charge a lot for its hardware. i think it's worth it. so whoever wants can jump on this thing that's 1200 without a monitor, and i'll be snuggling here with my tibook that cost 2.5x more, came with a monitor, is slower than a 2.8 GHz P4, and yet still transcends all the PCs i have ever used.

11. peter2002 macrumors 6502

This computer is used. Only a 90 day warranty.

12. bertinman macrumors 6502

why...

sony?

Those computers (this case design especially) are horrible. I get more calls to fix those damn things than any other system in my realm (over 300 computers + a few apples). An example at how stupid the case design is: you have to take the power supply out to take out the floppy drive. Someone called me in to change out the CD-ROM just last week after cutting himself a few times on the case trying to figure out how to get to the darn thing. Granted, most case designs seem simple AFTER you figure them out.

Anyway, I would rather make a homebuilt machine. Plus, there are faster ram options out there, like PC3700 and RD ram.

- bert

13. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

aww, just seventy-six dollars for a "Two-Year Extended Protection Plan!"

funny how they suck you in.

[edit]
    anyone wanna add up the value of this software?
    it's coming up a big $0 in my head. i can't believe they listed quicktime and acrobat reader.

also, it looks like it's refurbished, not used, do you know better, peter?
    [/edit]

14. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Re: Re: This PC will smoke a mac, and its price!

I know, I am just saying it IS faster than all macs at the moment. All of them im sure. And a better HARDWARE deal.

15. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Ok...

Homebuilt than. Its going to be a lil more trouble, but it will be less that 1100, and way faster than this machine.

I think its just sad that apple charges so much. Yes, they dropped their prices, but hell, its been like 3 years since my g4 400mhz has been out, and the new machines are about twice as fast. In three friggin years.

16. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

True about the software part. But if we are comparing this to a mac, they both have 0$ in software....

17. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: Re: Re: This PC will smoke a mac, and its price!

sure. you get a better hardware deal. no fight there. there's competition for it within its own market. sure, i wish that apple would sell competitive hardware at competitive prices. but they don't, and you can't run OS X on that hardware that is more competitive (and some would argue, cheaply and poorly made). so what's the point of complaining? wait, i take that back.

18. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

well, yeah, but i was just thinking, iphoto & the other i's have finesse and such. these apps lookly the HIGHLY crappy and unintuitive, and is a general pain in the ass to use. i have never used any of it, but "trial edition of PS elements" and "premiere LE" look like the closest thing to decent, and it looks like they last a month or so. the other sony stuff is probably just what i said, really poor and barely functional. both add to $0, i guess, but Apple "free" is not Wintel "free." not by a long shot.

19. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: Ok...

you have to know a lot to be building a PC from scratch; apple doesn't value the small market of people that would do such a thing, and that also opens them up to piracy, i think, as it would then be so easy to NOT pay apple any money, get your system components elsewhere, and steal OS X. i'm sorry that you're hurt by this, but it's a utilitarian value--considering the practicality of the many.

what i said about complaining--i know you have a right to complain at all, and i don't want to curtail that at all, and i am still willing to argue with you (and lose on some points, sure!), but don't you think it gets a little old? i mean, stuff like this has always been around in the PC world--mac didn't clone, so other companies can't come around and sell cheapo stuff for you to put OS X on... though you can get good deals on refurbed apple systems if you look around--anyways, the point is, we've all heard this, and we all wish that apple would charge less for their hardware, and they have been, but why bring up the same old thing? you're beating a dog that's been battered so much that it's become dismembered, and its remains are all over this forum, among other places.

as i said, though, you have to compromise ;)

20. MacPorter macrumors newbie

*Macporter reads post and another article about a PC that is faster than any Mac and so very inexpensive...

Yawn

*Macporter returns to enjoying frothy Victory Porter and working without a hitch on his expensive and slow Mac.:cool:

21. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Guys

I wasn't really stressing a PCs cheapness until you guys started talkin about how macs are built by only apple and stuff. I was strictly talking about PCs.

I just think if anyone had 1200 for a computer right now, and wanted something fast and upgradable, get this. Its a good deal.

Its pretty much only for people who want a fast machine (someone here bought a PC for 600 bucks, and it was FAST), but doesnt have 2k to blow....

22. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: Guys...

certainly. ok. sorry to move it to that, if it's my fault. it's just that usually when someone says this here, he is complaining about how PCs "really are better, just look how dirt cheap they are! i got myself one, and one for everyone in my heram!"--and then there was the title:
    misleading, i guess ;).

[edit] nice job changing the subject, here, i'll change mine too. this really is like chatting, eh? [/edit]

23. MacPorter macrumors newbie

24. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

They can't even include full Photoshop Elements? You only get a trial version. That is ridiculous.

25. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

unless your planning on playing games on this, i dont see why its so better than my mac. will these threads ever end.

iJon