This powerbook-imac G5 trade worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Winstonp, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

I can't decide if I want to do this...I just got a powermac G5...but the 20 incher would be soso nice...

here's the lowdown.

I give:
    the powerbook in my sig+18 inch NEC LCD monitor

I get:
    20' iMac G5, 1.8ghz, 512ram, applecare, 160gb, superdrive.

I'd have to get rid of my powermac in my sig and buy a powerbook or an ibook...should I do it, worth it?

Winston

2. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

Could just buy a 20' Monitor. You would lose .2ghz in processor speed but the powermac is a lot more upgradeable. But then again if apple ever updates the imac line it might make more sense to trade in your powermac and monitor for a 20' imac. Decisions Decisions

We shall just wait and see what updates apple brings to us :)

3. Winstonp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

Let me let you let you all what I use my powermac 1.6ghz with 18inch lcd and 12 powerbook for and then maybe you all can help me:
    1. ----SERIOUS multitasking (which is why im drawn to the 20') I usualy have these open:
    A. word
    B. firefox
    C. ichat
    D. mail
    E. powerpoint
    F- preview
    G. itunes

2.---- Some gaming
    A. I play myth 2 from 98'
    B. battlefield 1942
    C. hope to get halo

I can't decide if I should
    Step 1:trade my powerbook and LCD for this imac G5
    Step2: sell my current powermac
    Step3:use powermac money to buy an ibook or powerbook and then settle for an imac g5 20' and powerbook or ibook

or do you think it's even worth it to go without the powerbook for a bit (it's rarely used, I can work with a desktop...I prefer it) and..

step 1. sell the imac
    step 2. reap in 400-500 profit from ebay
    step 3. repurchase another powerbook.
    step 5. roll around in the extra 400-500 and buy a dell 20' lcd for my powermac.

or!
    Nothing, settle for what I have, get a job, and buy the Dell 20' and a gaming video card...or can the imac take on halo?

4. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Keep what you got, get off your ass and get a job.

5. Winstonp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

it'd be part time.

its not like im a bum. I'm a student. And ill be a night student this summer.

6. budaapple macrumors regular

7. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

ever consider using a virtual desktop program? i find it's really nice when it comes to having a bunch of stuff open. i use a 17" monitor and constantly run firefox, adium, itunes, mail.app, ical, and x11 + something running in it on only two desktops (you can have tons of them) with no troubles. other programs get opened up, and there's always room for them (and if there's not, you can make a quick desktop for temporary use). they're easy to switch between, and even have the ability to keep track of what you have open on other "screens." just something to think about.

8. Winstonp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

where can i find this?

Also , I'm getting the 20 inch imac guys. I'll toss on halo myself. If it sucks, im selling it. If not, bye bye powermac.

I just cant resist 20 inches, and the compactness.

sooo simple

9. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

Settle for what you got--buy an Xbox and Halo 2....I have played Halo on a Mac...personally I don't buy a computer to play games ( I bought an Xbox for that). I've never really liked playing computer games. I dunno, that's just me.

10. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

program is called desktop manager. it's free and you can find it at versiontracker.com

enjoy your new machine!