This really bugs me: when I back out of sub folder Im at the top again....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by VoodooDaddy, Feb 12, 2007.

1. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

Lets say I have a main folder called A. Within folder A I have 200 subfolders labeled 1-200.

I want to see whats in folder 100 so I scroll down, open that folder, look around, not what I want, I arrow back so Im in folder A again.

Why, why, why, why does it take my to the top of the folder?? Why doesnt it leave me right where I was, at folder 100??? So I have to scroll down again to find what I want.

Am I just that much of a noob that I dont know how to get around this?

2. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I feel your pain. Try this:

Rather than using the 'back' command, try using Command-Down Arrow to open a selected folder and Command-Up Arrow to go back. Your original folder will still be selected.

3. VoodooDaddy thread starter macrumors 65816

That works but thats just really awkward. That requires a single click on the folder, then taking my hand off the mouse to command+arrow down, then again to command+arrow up.

4. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

I fail to why you find this awkward. Just use the hand that is not on the mouse fro the key-presses.

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Are you using Icon view in Finder? If seems to me that that's the only view that does this. You might want to look into List or Column view. Those views seem to remember where you were in the list when you navigate back, and browsing large numbers of files/folders is much faster due to the condensed format.

6. gameguy3001 macrumors member

according to what everyone else said, it appears my computer is "broken", when i press the back button, it takes me to where i was in the folder, not to the top

7. VoodooDaddy thread starter macrumors 65816

Its just awkward. Its a reach across my body, hold the command button with my pinkie and arrow with either middle or index, neither really reached very comfortably.

I use icon view. No real reason, probably just because it looked more like what I was used to when I used windows. List view does work the way I want, arrow back and Im at the same position in the folder. Guess Ill just have to get used to using that view although I wish icon view worked the same way.