This section is supposed to be about Mac Games!

Discussion in 'Games' started by mstecker, Sep 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mstecker macrumors 6502

Perhaps I'm in the minority on this one, but it bugs me when I look at the "Mac Games" box on the front page, and 90% of the articles are about console games, or some handheld games, etc.

If people want to talk about that, fine, but I think there should be a separate category in the forum for this.

As someone who owns probalby 10 to 20 legitimate purchased games for OS X, there really are gaming developments on the Macintosh to discuss. With all of the console games traffic, however, the little bit of actual mac gaming discussion gets lost in the noise.

How would people feel about splitting console / handheld gaming into a separate section?

2. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Note that at the main menu is says MAC AND CONSOLE GAMES

So... Tell me why it's just supposed to be about "Mac" games?

3. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

correct me if i'm wrong, but when i look at it, the title isn't "Mac Games"; it's "Games" with a subtitle that says "mac and console games". i've included a photo too.

Attached Files:

4. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

While onizuka is right about the title, I think it would be a nifty idea to have a subsection only for consoles(1 section, not seperate sections for seperate consoles)

5. mstecker thread starter macrumors 6502

Let's see:

The box on the right side of the MR home page associated with this forum is called "Mac Gaming."

The forum tree describes this as being in "Mac Forums" > "Mac Software" > "Games."

Again, I'm thrilled if people want to talk about console games. I just think it should be moved to a dedicated separate part of the forums so that the (more relevant to "macrumors.com") discussion of Macintosh specific gaming doesn't get lost.

6. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    It's already been suggested and that turned into a giant flame-war, hence the subtitle for the section including Mac & Console games. Once the Wii and PS3 are out for a couple of months, this should all die down...

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

and doesn't something like this belong in the Site Forum and Feedback, no?

and its for all Gaming. simple. period. its been discussed before.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

And we've had discussions on people being idiots that don't know how to use the MacRumors seach function. ;)

9. mstecker thread starter macrumors 6502

"It's been discussed before" is hardly a compelling argument for anything, really. The world is fluid, these forums and their memberships and trends are fluid, and there's no reason not to revisit an issue like this from time to time.

Other than "its [sic] been discussed before", can anyone provide a solid argument as to why splitting off console discussions into a separate group wouldn't make everyone's experience better? What's the upside in lumping these two totally different subjects into the same category?

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

because there isn't enough content to change the forum setup. which is why its been discussed before matters. thats what settles it. its not like traffic for both has suddenly peaked.

11. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

the traffic is so low here that the front page shows threads from 4 days ago; I hardly think that warrants splitting the forum into sub-categories; especially compared to other forums here.

relax, of all the things on this site to bother you, you're making a fuss about two completely the same things being in the same forum; or do you want to tell me how one game is so radically different from another, just from what platform it's on? :cool:

12. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

This guy has a point. There's really nothing going on in Mac gaming right now. Or most of the time.

You want a Mac-related game story? I just caved in and bought World Of Warcraft. Happy?

Daniel.

13. 2ndPath macrumors 6502

I also was mislead by the title of the section on the Mac Rumors front page. While in the forums interface it shows the subtitle "Mac and Console Games", it does not so on the front page, where it is just "Mac Gaming". Just "Gaming" would be a less misleading title, because in the thread Mac, Console and Windows games are discussed.

14. ericsthename macrumors regular

I don't see why we couldnt have two or three subcategories. I have mac games and console games, and even bootcamp games. I like to come here and chat about console stuff with like minded mac users, and I also like to know about any new mac specific stuff thats happening.

Count this as my vote!

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

There simply would be no need for a 'mac' gaming only section and to create such section takes a lot of work for a fruitless result. Quite simply there is insufficent amount of mac games released each year to warrant one.

Discussions about sub sections are fine and well but please realise IT WONT HAPPEN. For the same reason as there is NO gaming only moderator. The mac rumors infastructure would take a lot of modification in order to create a rather uneccesary result.

What makes me laugh is that all those requesting this, so far. NONE OF YOU CONTRIBUTE.

If you want to help out this site then I suggest you all contribute to the site, and when doing so add a request to the Mod's. But to insist on new sections without contributing is just trying to have your cake and eat it...

This section is more about Mac Users and their gaming - regardless of format they are gaming on. The one thing we all share in common is our mac usuage.

Dont like it, you could always go elsewhere....

16. MisterEd macrumors 6502

Maybe if the traffic on the games forum was huge and out of control, yes.
    However, it's hardly difficult to keep track of the threads going on here, and I don't see how if gets in the way of discussing gaming for all platforms.

Ed

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Because that would be a pain. Keep all gaming in one topic. keep all photography in one topic. NO WAIT WE SHOULD HAVE SEPARATE FORUMS FOR VIDEOS OF DIFFERENT RESOLUTIONS BECAUSE IT MAKES ALL THE SENSE IN THE WORLD.

18. mstecker thread starter macrumors 6502

Now that is the most arrogant post I've read here in years. To say out loud that people who don't send MR money don't "matter" is shooting yourself in the foot. This forum grew becuase people who were interested in Macs came here to talk. Without those people, it wouldn't exist. If you'd like, you should lobby the people who run this site to shut off access to everyone who doesn't contribute, but until that happens (and it won't), please keep [it] to yourself.

If somehow you've been given the right to unilaterally dictate policy to the users here, let me know. If not, I'd suggest that you work on your language a little bit to add words like "I think", and "In my opinion" to your prose.

19. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

I vote for the Games forum to discuss exclusively of Mac-related games. All PS3, XBOX and console games shouldn't really be discussed on a Mac site. It's equivalent of talking about PC/Dells because they are computers, but you won't find such threads in the Hardware/Software portions of this site.

There are tons of other forums on the net where you can talk about PS3s and XBOXes. It sucks to do a "new posts" and having a ton of console gaming threads pollute the search results.

20. mstecker thread starter macrumors 6502

The original example makes all of the sense in the world. Console games have nothing to do with mac games. Different developers, different users, different news, different headlines, etc.

I play games on my macs all of the time, but rarely touch my console (an Xbox 360). I just don't care about it, and even if I did, it has NOTHING to do with the Macintosh. In my opinion, discussion of some totally-non-mac related video game consoles should be moved under the "Community Discussions" section. They're about as relevant to the Mac world as talk about politics, etc.

And I don't buy at all the argument that "it's too hard to change the forum configuration". The site administrator could create a new sub-forum for console gaming under "Community Discussions" in less than a minute.

21. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

That would make it easier to exclude certain non-Mac gaming forums from search results.

22. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I agree with spicy, the console wars have taken over the game forum. I can remember when it was called Mac Gaming;) :cool: But thats just my view. Do we need a seperate forum for other games Im not sure but perhaps in renaming the forum to its old Title would help but perhaps the Mods want to keep up the posts counts here so who knows. Wii,PS3,Xbo,PC, If only Apple would have have been more interested in the gaming aspect of the Mac we wouldnt have as much of this.:(

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I was not being arrogant or dictating policy, that is the policy as it stands. Do you not think these questions have been asked before by many of us ? The post I presented above reflects the answers we have been given by those who administer the site from our requests for gaming specific moderators and seperated sub sections.

And in fairness to the site, contributing does not mean you have more of a say over other people, but it at least contributes to its server costs, management and day to day operation and costs very little a year from the contributor.

If more 'contributors' requested changes then we may indeed see some of those things incorporated into the site. But at the moment it would not be worth the time and effort of those administering the site 'voluntarily' to add them.

My point being is a lot of people seem to want a heck of a lot from something which is essentially free. Besides if you are enjoying a free lunch, is it not more extremely arrogant to complain about whats on the menu? However if more paying customers in a restaurant demanded a menu change, the chances of it happening are expenentially higher.

Edit:- As for it only taking a minute to do, adding more sections increases the even more stretched resources of the voluntary moderators and would only make the job harder to keep in check.

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Bugger! we should so totally do away with the community, photography, video and politics threads as they're not about Macs! they're about regular chatting and hobbies. DOWN WITH THE UNNECESSARY FORUMS! WILL SOMEONE HEAR MY PLEA?!

No! Lets be even more stringent. MacRUMOURS. We must only ever speak about rumours! Oni, MRU, Praxis and co. shut your pleasant faces and move into the realm of rumours else face being kicked by our new overlords. I for one welcome these overlords. *kiss*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.