This Seems Kinda Strange... Any Ideas???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jumpman25, Mar 30, 2004.

1. jumpman25 macrumors regular

Feb 23, 2004
    Saturday night I purchased a 12" base powerbook without SuperDrive, not BTO, just the stock model, and it said on Apples website ships same day. Yesterday night I had still not gotten a shipping notice so I decided to call apple and make sure everything was going ok, that the educational discount went through, and when it was going to be shipped. The guy from apple told me that everything was fine and it looked like it would be shipped out that day (monday). Later on Monday night I cecked my e mail and got a message from apple saying that due to an unexpected delay the new est. ship date it Apr 2. I just got done checking my e mail today (tuesday) and got a shipping notice from apple saying that my order had been shipped. I checked the fedex tracking number and it said that it is being shipped from Taiwan and est. delivery is Friday. My understanding was that BTO orders were shipped from Taiwan but stock models were shipped from California. I also found it hard to believe that Apple did not have any of the 12" PowerBooks to ship in the United States, and they had to be shipped from Taiwan. Does anybody know what this is all about?
  2. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

Aug 5, 2003
    Theres is only one reason....

New Powerbooks next Tuesday!!!! YES! :D
  3. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    More than likely, recent high demand and/or supply issues dried up the stocks here in the States, therefore they were shipping directly from the source of all PowerBooks (they're not made in California; they're just usually shipped there by the boatload).
  4. jumpman25 thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 23, 2004
    I figured that they probably weren't made in California, but it just seems like when stock is low apple would order more to be shipped to the US and not wait until the supply runs dry.
  5. rueyeet macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2003
    Well, the rumor mills have been saying that Apple's been telling resellers to expect a "product dry spell".....

<pipe dream>Wouldn't it be cool if that meant Apple's trying to flush the supply chain for all products because of across-the-board big-time product updates?!?!</pipe dream>

Deep breaths....okay, better now. :)
  6. realityisterror macrumors 65816

Aug 30, 2003
    Snellville, GA
    unfortunately, your understanding is wrong (i think)...

from what i've heard, most all computers are shipped from taiwan.

:eek: i love that face :)
  7. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

Jul 31, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Yep. Apple's supply chain and logistics control sucks. Simple.
  8. deriviative macrumors newbie

Mar 20, 2004
    you should see hp's supply, maunfacturing and distribution chain -- there was a wall street journal article on this a couple weeks back, with map -- man the computer business is globally fragmented!!!