This should be fun - SC-01 Election

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SwiftLives, Mar 20, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Former Governor Mark Sanford (R) (of Appalachain Trail fame) and Elizabeth Colbert-Busch (D) (of Stephen Colbert Fame) are running against each other.

This is going to be fun to watch.

There is still a runoff between Mark Sanford and Curtis Bostic later in April, but Sanford is expected to win that very handily.

Overall, it's a fairly red district. Charleston is more moderate than the rest of the area (Obama carried the city in 2008 and 2012). So it is at least possible that Colbert-Busch can win. And Sanford's transgressions and the possibility of a brutal runoff could also help Colbert Busch.

Like I said - this is going to be fun.

2. macrumors P6

Peace

3. macrumors 68000

mcrain

Really? The best candidate the GOP can come up with is a guy who lied to everyone, on the record? Didn't the GOP pass articles of impeachment for something similar? Talk about a party that has a serious identity crisis.

4. thread starter macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

She pronounces it "Col-Bert." Stephen and his family are actually from Charleston.

They tried to impeach him, but it happened so close to the end of his term, that there really was no point.

And they tried to impeach him not for the affair, but for abandoning his post.

5. macrumors 68000

mcrain

Oh, and now he's the presumed candidate for the GOP? Seems kind of "legitimate rape" stupid.

6. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Ah South Carolina, where lies and adultery are OK as long as you hate the gays.

7. macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Sanford, barring something hugely unforeseen, is going to be the congressman there.

So much for family values....

8. macrumors 68020

This is also the guy who's about "fiscal responsibility" but used tax payer money to fund his affair.

How can South Carolinians be stupid enough to vote for this guy again?

9. thread starter macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Because he has an "R" next to his name. And the Democratic Party in South Carolina is virtually nonexistent.

10. macrumors P6

Peace

You obviously missed the humor of my post.

:)

11. macrumors 68020

Sad but true. :( And you'd probably know about this better than I would considering you're from there.

12. macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

And he has the most name recognition out of all the other candidates. I personally voted for a friend of mine who decided to run, but sadly we couldn't get his name out to the masses enough.

13. thread starter macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

A quickie update - According to internal polling released by the Colbert-Busch campaign (take with appropriate grains of salt), she's leading both Mark Sanford and Curtis Bostic.

Conventional wisdom is that Sanford will beat Bostic in the runoff tomorrow. And then I expect the race will tighten.

But anecdotally, I am hearing some strong resentment toward Sanford around here.

14. macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

South Carolina never ceases to amaze...
    i wouldn't be surprised if he won again.

15. macrumors P6

Peace

Well if it's name recognition I'm gonna think these good folks will have seen Stephen Colbert's TV show and maybe vote for his sister.

Isn't he pretty well known in S. Carolina ?

16. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

The same way people re-elected Marion Barry, Jesse Jackson Jr., etc.

17. thread starter macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Stephen Colbert is from Charleston. His family (including Colbert-Busch) still lives here. I don't think The Colbert Report is appreciably any more or less popular here than in other parts of the country. Colbert doesn't make too many public appearances or trips to Charleston. Once a year - if that. I do expect some more fundraising trips until the election in May.

Most of Colbert-Busch's support (at least within Charleston) comes from the respect she's earned in the business community here. Having her celebrity brother campaign and fundraise for her hasn't hurt.

Mark Sanford is from Charleston, too - (technically Isle of Palms.)

18. macrumors P6

Peace

19. macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

I've been catching up on shows I watch on Hulu and just watched The Colbert Report from 4/3/13 and Stephen has oficially endorsed his sister.

20. SwiftLives, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013

thread starter macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Apparently, our former governor was caught trespassing at his ex-wife's house.

Some key passages and quotes:

Like I said. This is going to get interesting.

The Colbert-Busch campaign is taking the high road and not commenting.
    I'm guessing her brother will say everything that needs to be said for her.

21. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This just came across my timeline. Not a good sign when the national committee walks away and takes their money with them.

@JessicaTaylor: After Sanford trespassing news, NRCC sources tell me they're no longer going to be engaged in the special election #SC1

22. macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Sounds like Sanford is going to get the L he rightfully deserves here. NRCC is smart to not hitch their wagon to that sinking ship.

23. thread starter macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

I can pretty much guarantee you it wasn't a bunch of liberal Democrats who leaked this information. (There really aren't too many of those around here). Most of Sanford's enemies were from his own party. He was/is not very well liked by the state legislature - even before he left the country without notifying anyone.

Yup. That's confirmed by local media and Politico.

24. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

25. thread starter macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Ouch. The DSCC just released this ad telling Sanford to "take a hike" :)

In other news, a conservative women's group from out of state in Washington DC is attempting to recruit Jenny Sanford to run as a write-in candidate.

Personally, I think that would just split the Republican vote. Plus, it would be very difficult to get a campaign up and running by May 7 - 3 weeks away. Speaking from experience, it would take at least a week to get yard signs printed.

So far, Jenny Sanford has given absolutely no indication that she has any interest in running.