Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
T-Mobile has stated that if you buy the iphone your locked in to their service for 1 month or you have to buy yourself out.

Obviously since you can't get the phone without signing up for service unless you want to pay $650. If you sign up for service, you are clearly on the hook for that month but you can also get the iPhone at a reduced rate ($580).

Christian 5G

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2010
Orange County, CA
I am interested in this thread, good idea about doing this, by putting SIM card after a month.. Like for me I use about 60 minutes a month talking that will save some money.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Obviously since you can't get the phone without signing up for service unless you want to pay $650. If you sign up for service, you are clearly on the hook for that month but you can also get the iPhone at a reduced rate ($580).

Not as reduced as you think if you have to sign up for service because you are on the hook for that month of service. If you have to pay $50 for a month of service to get into that payment plan you ultimately only come out $20 ahead.

Or you pay the $70 and have it unlocked from day one do don't have to fuss with the second plan etc. double if it turns out the rumors of an account credit after so many months is true. Unless you are on the fence about T-Mobile service you'll be around the six months or so it allegedly takes to earn that money

sparrky

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2008
California
Let us know how this works out, OP. I was going to buy directly from Apple but having the option to pay a bit less and $20/mo payments would be nice!

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
Doesn't the 3GS have a regular SIM? Will you be able to cut it down to the nano SIM required by the 5?

Yes, the 3GS has a regular sim. I wouldn't try and cut it down myself. Other people do so I guess you can. If you just buy the 5, they will activate the sim on the $30 plan if you have it.

----------

Let us know how this works out, OP. I was going to buy directly from Apple but having the option to pay a bit less and $20/mo payments would be nice!

I've decided that I think I'm going to wait for the 5S this summer. Either buy it outright for use on the $30 plan or just pay the $20 per month until I can pay it off completely.

RotaryP7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2011
Miami, FL
There is no contract guys but you will need to do a credit check to open a new Post-Paid T-Mobile account. The cheapest is going to be $50 plus taxes. Add the installments to the $50 and that is your monthly. Installments may vary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.