This supports Creationism how???

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by freeny, Apr 7, 2006.

1. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Attached Files:

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

The article says that the creationist folks thinks that it shows that mutations are either negative or nuetral, but not positive.

It's an interesting, if simple-minded point.

3. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

So why did god create mutations?

4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I don't have a clue what creationists think about that. Sin? Maybe this cats parents lusted in their hearts. Or, more likely, were gay.

5. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

Thanks. That made me chuckle:D

6. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Creationists are idiots! I don't care if this offends any creationists here if there are any and I make no apologies for it. It is a narrow minded, childish theory and I find it offensive.

Well that's my rant done for the day. Tune in next week for: "Why I hate string theory and it's wacky followers":rolleyes:

7. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

Well now that we've got our grown up hats on, would you mind telling us the probability of the big bang?

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

42%

B

9. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

10. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

Which is entirely possible. But for some "expert" to automatically dismiss all who don't believe in a totally random existense as looney, well, whatever floats your boat dude. And if I remember correctly, if the "random universe" tried to randomly create itself from a bunch of particles (which had to be created in the first place [see the 1st law of thermodynamics] every second it was something like 1 to (100,000,000,000!). Who's the idiot??

11. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

I was joking:rolleyes:

12. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

As someone on this board has already pointed out, the probability of something that has already occurred is 1.

13. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

Well I guess this turns out to be political/religious after all.;)

14. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

It doesn't *have* to be but anything with a hint of religion or politics *will* be... just a lot of people around here. :)

15. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Hey now, don't go making me look foolish in front of everyone by exposing my, evident, lack of intelligence on the matter. ;)

I'm not purporting to have the answer to the meaning of life or how it all began. All i'm saying is that I find it highly amusing that an intelligent society can look at the incredible complexity of life on this planet and think: 'That is just too brilliant to have happened naturally. It must have been an all powerful being that created it!' I mean come on! That's a bit 4th century BC thinking isn't it? It's the kind of thing you'd expect from a three year old. Let's totally ignore the absolutely mind boggling time period that evolution happened over (because we just can't get our heads around that) and go for the easy answer - That big magic man made it!

16. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

It wasn't directed to you. ;)

17. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

Science is the search for answers. "That big magic man made it" is no more far fetched than saying "Well, um, it just ya know, bang, and *poof* earth."

18. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

This easily proves creationism.

All the liberal, evolution-teaching gay folk always said the one eyed, one horned, flying purple people eater was, well....purple.

This clearly shows that it is infact _not_ purple.

:)

19. emw macrumors G4

emw

Apparently, being a creationist pays well.

20. takao macrumors 68040

takao

here we go again with applying "common sense" to the big bang ... yawn

;)

(stating a numbered odd is kinda funny since without any aspect of time the universe has an infinity amount of chances to roll the dice ... and do thermodynamics apply if there is no space or time ?)

21. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Oh come now, we're better than that surely? For more than two thousand years there has been a belief that an omnipotent being created everything - surely it's time to open our minds to newer and more exciting possibilities?

I could say that the universe was created by a giant marshmallow called Steve in the mid 1960's and that all history was created at the same time but it doesn't necessarily make it true. Proof of a more traditional god is just as elusive though but that doesn't seem to bother those who support the theory. Science at least tries to come up with some hard evidence.

Then again, I could be wrong and i'm going to Hull. Sorry, Hell.

22. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The point is it's not "bang! poof! earth!" any more than evolution is "Amoeba! Fish! Monkey! Human!" Scientists have slowly been peeling back the layers, trying to figure out how the Earth got here, and the history of the universe as most scientists understand it is far from "bang! poof!"

For each stage in the development (almost said evolution) of the universe, concrete predictions can be made as to what evidence should be found if you look in the right place. And so far the evidence supports the models that have been developed, and we can now go back to make predictions about how the universe looked tiny fractions of a second after the time popularly referred to as the "Big Bang" and see the evidence of those events in our universe today.

Here's a link to a popular science radio show that aired recently which you might want to listen to. http://www.sciencefriday.com/pages/2006/Mar/hour2_032406.html

Anyhow we all know the real story involves the flying spaghetti monster.

B

23. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

How about the Space-Time Theorem, by cosmologists Stephen Hawking, Roger Penrose, and George Ellis? This theorem uses general relativity to prove that matter, energy, space, and time all had their origins in a singularity (a geometric point of zero size). If space and time had a beginning, then whatever caused the Big Bang must have transcended space and time. Basically, the Space-Time Theorem states that the amount of matter and energy in the universe is finite, imposing limits on how many times the dice can be thrown.

24. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Well yeah, we can all use Google for our arguments though can't we:

http://www.angelfire.com/my/tgoldman0/bigbang.htm

Lifted any good text lately? ;) (Paragraph 3, Line 4)

25. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

As I stated above, the answer is obviously 42%.

How soon we forget our fellow Mac addicts...At least one of us was funny.

B