This technology will definitely trickle down to the G5/6 series... which is good

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by spaceballl, Dec 12, 2004.

1. macrumors 68030

spaceballl

2. macrumors 601

stoid

hmmm, first half of '05?

This must mean PowerBook G5's at MWSF!! ;) :rolleyes:

3. macrumors 68030

munkle

This is good news and certainly sounds promising for an upcoming PB range. First half of 2005 is looking to be an exciting time!

4. thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

haha i hope just as much as you all do that we see new g5 PBs... regardless of when, this technology will definitely make it in there.
    -kevin

5. macrumors regular

As long as they get a reasonable yield...

6. macrumors regular

Yields are not affected. So, fingers crossed this technique will be rapidly adopted from PPC97x manufacture. About time the G5 got more than a minor MHz improvement. I'm still optimistic we'll see dual core processors by Q3 2005 (or at least an announcement). I suspect we have one more minor bump to PMG5, say 2.8GHz, and the arrival of X800, then we'll see serious changes in the subsequent revision (I'd hope we'd also see a case which will take four internal drives). If this allows faster CPUs without a drop in yield, perhaps it'll also enable the release of the mythical XStation (4xG5 high-end A/V workstation)?

7. macrumors 68020

daveL

But given the fact that the 970FX already uses SOI and Strained Silicon, it would seem that this is a further refinement of what they are already doing, so the benefit wouldn't be anything close to the 24% the quote, it seems to me. The 24% improvement would be measured against a process that doesn't use SS at all, although the press release is obviously vague in this regard.