this, this, or this?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Rob587, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Rob587

Ok this shouldnt be that tuff of a question.

I will be going to college and I have been saving alot of money up... which of these would you get.

1) Maxed out 17"
    2) Maxed out PM2.5 GHTz with 20" display
    3) Snow iBook 1gtz 256mb ram 30gig hd
    with a maxed out PM2.0 with 20" display

2. Relentless macrumors newbie

Well, I would say 17" PB, but you haven't given the specs... What are you trying to use it for?

3. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I'd say #3, but I agree with Relentless, what are you using these for?

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

5. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Agreed.

6. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

If you have the money to burn you should have a desktop first and portable second.
    With a desktop you can always upgrade parts (limited for Mac), and can do other things that laptops can't do (or you just don't want to do it on your precious portable). But with PowerBooks, the limitation is far less than a lot of PC compatible notebooks.
    I guess I don't have money to burn, so from time to time I upgrade parts for my PC, so it is a kickass unit as of now.
    But for a portable unit I first purchased a Windows compatible notebook pc. I liked it and all, but saw the benefits of PB and got a 12" PB with superdrive (I should have skipped out on superdrive since I have a great burner on my desktop but....)

1. Get a desktop...any desktop
    2. Portable unit (if you are on the go all the time, but since you are considering 17", you will not be hauling that thing all over the place)

However, if you are living in the dormitory, 17" PB may be easier to haul around. Luckily I have moved out of the dorms, but carring a 30LB desktop/20LBbackup desktop/1 flatpanel/19" CRT/2 laptops/ accessories is a pain in the ass as well as easy target for snatchers. Also, if stolen laptops are harder to use for parts and can be traced back (even though they are easier to take). If someone gave me a desktop, I could use so much of its parts, all that's left would be the outer case and some metal parts that I would have no use for.

7. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

Since you will be going to college, I would definetly recommend a portable. Its easier to take around campus with you, but also when you come home on breaks it will be much easier than lugging your desktop back and forth.
    If you have the money, and you are a power user, do much video and image editing or play games I would go with the 17 Powerbook.

8. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

if you can afford it #3, but make sure you get more ram than the default

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

#3. No doubt about it. A dual-2.0 is going to be very similar to a dual-2.5. A portable is nice but can't pack the heat (literally and figuratively) of a G5. The 17" is a beast. If you go with just one laptop, get the 15" and get an ACD for your room.

10. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

Somehow I think having two computers just for college is a bit much, no? What would you need the desktop power of a PM for?
    Do you do a lot of Photoshop? Video editing? gaming?

11. Emerson macrumors member

Emerson

#3 (I am in college now)

I would say #3 because that way you have a great machine at home and something easy to haul around to the library to write papers, or just surf (assuming your library has WiFi). I am currently saving for a new powermac to compliment my 12" powerbook, then I would have portability and horsepower at home.

12. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

Would you leave the PM at home and only take the ibook to school?

13. friarbayliff macrumors regular

I would also recommend #3. Having the power is awesome, but you still will want something that is portable. I bought my pb for college because I'm going to need the portablility that it provides. Being able to have a computer on you at all times during college will turn out the be an amazing asset.

14. FriarCrazy macrumors regular

Number three. The 17" PB is simply lapzilla, unfortunatly It's really not that portable. The 12" snow iBook will provide ultamate portibility at college.

15. gallagb macrumors 6502

gallagb

if you've really got the $- get # 3 and have one of the 2 machines shipped to me- pm me and i'll give u the shipping address- :) thanks in advance :)

the real question- as already posted- is what do you need a computer for in the first place?

i enjoyed my college experience quite well with an ibook- and also had a trashy ole G3 desktop w/ a trashy monitor in the room-

carried the ibook everywhere as my campus was wireless- and left AIM on in the room- also used the desktop to record streaming audio...etc- and to store mp3's on- also for a lil bit of gaming

the laptop i hauled around and used all the time-it was great fun sitting in the quad working on papers or browsing the web...etc

as for a laptop- i'd say go SMALL (physically)- u can always plug it into a BIG monitor @ home. -i had a 12" iBook all through college and loved it- @ one point i had a Prismo PB and hated how large it was compared to the lil ibook- also had a clamshell ibook @ one point and was very frustrated w/ the size of that-

however- everyone does the college thing differently- what worked for me might not work for you-

my current setup is a new 23" monitor (just arrived yesterday) and a 12" 1.33 PB- and i love the setup-

good luck! and have fun- also let us know what u do...

16. friarbayliff macrumors regular

And I'll take the one you don't ship to him :D

17. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

if it were my choice then none of the above. . . id get a 12" PB (with external monitor) or a 15" PB. the 17 is too big to be practically portable for school. i would NOT get a desktop machine. i am in college and have had an iBook and PB (both 12" with an 19" external CRT) and its a great combination for school. i personally much prefer the PB to the iBook, more powerful video and other small difference are WAY worth it to me.

but. . . if i had to chose only from your selection. . . id say 3

18. mac_gal macrumors member

#3 or something like it

Since it sounds like you have piles of money to burn ;) , I'd say ...

1. Do #3

2. Do a modified version of #3 -- 12" PB and a less-bling PowerMac (unless you feel you really need that particular PM)

You will want the smallest possible thing to tote around in college -- trust me. A 17" PB is great if you rarely take it anywhere, but with annoying roommates / loud dorms / etc., you will probably want the option of throwing your laptop in your bag and trotting across campus.

When you get to your coffeeshop (or classroom, or whatever), will you have space on the desk for a 17" Powerbook? Maybe sometimes, but probably not.

PS -- I'm the former owner of a 16" Sony Vaio, so I'm speaking from "gargantuan laptop experience."

----

EDIT: I might even suggest getting just a PB and a Cinema Display, depending on what you're using the systems for. It's a pain to transfer papers / notes for school from one computer to another all the time.

19. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

You're not a massive power user, I suggest you get yourself a maxed out 15' Powerbook and a big honking cinema display. Throw the rest of the money in the bank until you graduate and have somewhere a little bigger (and safer) for your dual 3.0 and 30" displays.

20. Jopling macrumors 6502

hmmm

I have a 17 inch powerbook and it is very easy to transport. No one really knows what they are talking about when it comes to transporting them unless they know them. If you want the extra boost, and bigger screen, bluetooth, etc go with the 17 inch. If you plan on only using the g5 in your dorm just stick with that. Most likely though you will need to take your computer to class though. the pbook and the ibook will both get the job done.

21. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

I'd actually go with a 15" powerbook with superdrive, since it's the same speed as the 17", the screen is still quite large, and it's very portable. Than I'd get an external monitor for it, for when you aren't taking it anywhere. then you'll still have money for other things, like a nice bluetooth mouse, an isight if you want one, good software, a case, an ipod... I don't know. But it seems like you have a lot of money to burn, and this way you'll still have some left over.

22. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

I'd get a maxed out 15 inch PowerBook. (Same exact computer as the 17 inch, but smaller, which will be nice when you're carrying it around. Trust me, the 15 inch is plenty big.) Then spend some additional money on a Cinema Display, so that you can have the bigger screen in your dorm when you need it.

23. supergod macrumors 6502

I'll ask the obvious question: Why doesn't any of your possible configurations include a dual 1.8ghz G5? I know that you never want the stigma that comes with buying the lowest end configuration (even of a ridiculous computer) but buying the 1.8 and then filling it with ram and upgrading video card and hard drive is a better value than the 2ghz. And the money you save can go to maxing out the laptop too.

24. Bhennies macrumors 6502

I say 15" PB with 23" cinema (clamshell operation). Awesome setup. If you need more power, you can always get a g5 later on. But trust me, the 15" powerbook has been able to swallow everything I've thrown at it, and I consider myself a "poweruser".

the screens on the powerbooks look like garbage next to the cinema displays- I wouldn't get a 17" PB as my only display option.

I personally am waiting for the whole g5 fiasco to get straightened out- maybe we'll see dual 3's come winter.

25. Rob587 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rob587

ok, that last comment made it even more hard for me to decide! all u have done is forced me to think about a fourth option. :rolleyes: Thanks.. lol