This war on terrorism is bogus

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Sep 6, 2003.

1. macrumors 601

zimv20

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/iraq/comment/0,12956,1036687,00.html

excerpts from piece written by Michael Meacher MP, English environment minister from May 1997 to June 2003

2. macrumors 6502

In case any of the US readers of this think that Meacher is some kind of ultra-left nutter, far from it. He was seen as a generally moderate, level-headed and trustworthy politician who held high office under Blair for several years.

Worth noting that he was eventually removed from his post as Environment minister because of his concerns over Blair's stated "passion" for GM crops (not his "passion" for war).

With people like Meacher, Robin Cook and Claire Short (two other ministers who resigned over Iraq) sniping from the sidelines, Blair is not going to be able to move the agenda away from the war and its consequences for a long while.

3. macrumors 68000

Sayhey

toontra,
    I started a thread not long ago about the British Trade Unions and their condemnation of Blair and the US-led adventure in Iraq. In the Guardian story they talk of the upcoming Labour conference and the attacks on Blair's policies by some of these ex-ministers - do you think anything will come of it?

As to the neoconservatives use of 9/11, Iraqi human rights abuses, and chimerical WMDs to advance a geopolitical agenda - well, people really need to read some of the stuff the neocons put out for themselves. It is very scary stuff!

If that quote doesn't get you nervous nothing will! Thanks, zimv20, for the thread, it's very helpful.

4. thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i thought you'd like it :)

p.s. i thought i'd posted a reply already, but it seems to be gone. if two show up, i apologize. aw, heck, i'll just delete one.