This website is brilliant

Discussion in 'Community' started by njmac, Jul 28, 2005.

1. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

Does everyone know about Digg? It is a site about user rated/submitted tech news.

I think digg is brilliant. What gets on the front page is completely up to how many votes ( or "diggs") the story gets.

Everytime I go to digg, I find at least one one story that I wouldn't have found on my own.

If you have a website or blog, you can put stories you've dug, or Digg top stories on your own site like this.

Kevin Rose started digg, so because he is very well known from TechTV, the site has become popular fast (top 5000 in Alexa)

Anyway, I just thought I'd bring it up here because it is such a fantastic concept that I figured some other people around here might agree :)

What do you think?

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

definitely just bookmarked it... very interesting concept... alway enjoy getting my news from many different sources... :D

3. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Hey thats a really cool idea! I'm ashamed to say I know next to nothing about this whole blog phenomenon and all that it encompasses. This digg site looks like something requiring more investigation on my part!

4. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Yeah knew about that site, quite some time ago, before it switched to 2.0 if i'm not mistaken...

5. njmac thread starter macrumors 68000

njmac

I wonder how a website like this makes money. It must take a huge amount of bandwidth to stay up and running. Maybe the google adsense, I don't know.

6. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Didn't Kevin Rose start this site? I seem to remember reading it somewhere, or hearing it...

Cool concept indeed...

7. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Thanks a lot for the link, didn't know about that site. It's pretty awesome.

8. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

rofl. Did you actually read the post? :p

9. hhlee macrumors 6502

10. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

11. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Same here, thanks a lot for the website.

I just don't know what to think about "The worlds deadliest gun" article. In the wrong hands or used improperly, it could harm many innocent lives. "The potential for this weapon to be used by civil authorities to control angry crowds of protestors cannot be dismissed."

Anyway, thanks for the link

12. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

:eek:

Not the whole thing. Just clicked the link... :eek:

13. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I've been on Digg for about a year now. Its where I get all most of my tech news becuase you can always find something different.

14. njmac thread starter macrumors 68000

njmac

Well in the sense that they have tech news and a rating system, but where digg is different is that there are no editors at digg. Just users who submit stories, and then it goes to the people. If a lot of people like it, it will get enough votes to be promoted to the front page.

Just spend about 5 minutes checking out the site, I think you will be surprised how informative, and interesting it really is.

I think this is one of the best website concepts around. I like flickr - which also has the social networking factor going for it. And to be honest I don't use either as social networking ( I don't have "friends" in digg or flickr)

15. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I loves me some digg. :)

It always gets me some ..interesting links.

(anyone remember watchmechange before it was taken down? hahaha)

16. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

I love digg.

I find all my tech (and weird, strange, current, and funny) news articles there. The new iBooks? I found out from digg. Windows called 'Vista' found from digg.

Plus, I submitted four stories, two got dugg to the homepage.

And the diggnation podcast is very good, and the video podcast is even better.

17. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Kevin Rose is a superfox... I love the video cast.

Oh.. You meant content.

Yeah, I guess he's talking about something the whole time.
    *shrug*

you learn something new every day. :p