Thisclose to buying Macbook Pro, Need Advice from owners

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mashinhead, Apr 6, 2006.

1. mashinhead macrumors 68020

I was thisclose to buying a MBP today. But one thing stopped me. I do need a laptop. I don't want to buy a G4, but i might just. And i'm sick of waiting for the rest of the laptops to come out. When i was about to buy it, the sales man and i starting talking software issues, and thats what stopped me. I have a lot of programs, but mostly i'm an adobe user i'd say (photoshop, ill, indesign) for my heavy work. He said those programs run slow, which i both knew and was expecting. THe million dollar question though is how slow? If it runs at the pace of a G4 i would probably get the MBP, but he implied that it was SLOWER than a G4. Is that true. Because Adobe's UB will take at least a year to come out, and i don't want a laptop thats faster, in ability, but the ability is useless. So i was thinking G4 for a year. Any thoughts.

2. esaleris macrumors 6502

You could Boot Camp into Windows and run the Windows version, if you have that handy.

3. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

khisayruou

Running photoshop is slower under rosetta than running it natively under a G4. If you can afford to have a G4 for a year and then go with a new intel later...then I say go for it.

Macworld benchmarks to help you out

4. Moshiiii macrumors 6502a

Moshiiii

The g4 might do effects on adobe photoshop a nudge faster but its nothing THAT noticable. Also, When Adobe CS3 comes out its gonna be made to run on intel faster.

5. iGary Guest

iGary

I'd get a G4 1.67 and put a big stick of RAM in it if you already have the Photoshop Programs and need a computer now. Rosetta is wicked slow, I can't imagine doing my daily work in it all day, and Steve even said that a pro couldn't use it...

There are some good PB refurb deals on Apple's site right now.