Those Damned Activist Judges!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iGary, May 16, 2005.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

Supreme Court Strikes Down Wine Shipping Ban

Small vintners across America and their potential wine-loving customers won a major victory today when the Supreme Court struck down protectionist state laws banning direct sales to consumers by out-of-state vineyards.

As a result, for example, a New Yorker will be able for the first time to order wine on the Internet from a wine producer in Virginia, not just from wine producers in New York.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/16/AR2005051600441.html

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Woohoo!

Methinks I'll be ordering a case of Rochioli Pinot Noir next February!

3. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Ravenswood will definitely be getting orders from me! :D

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You have got to be kidding... this was a law?
    Restrictionist trade policies within a country? Bizarre.

I'll drink to all of you newly-liberated oenophiles out there. :D

*clink*

(Although of course, I'd rather you were drinking some nice Kiwi Sauvignon instead...)

5. Thom_Edwards macrumors regular

i'll second that with a little bit of markham to boot.

6. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Tell me about it. My wife and I visited the California wine country a few years ago and tried to ship the wine we purchased back to North Carolina. No go. Fortunately we were able to take 4 cases back in our checked luggage... but no Rochioli Pinot Noir -- that vintage sells out every February, and so if you want any, the only way to get it is to order winery direct: illegal, until now!

Now thanks to Sept 11 you can't even check wine in your luggage, so this law was even more restrictive.

7. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Not a Savignon fan.

Give me a pinot, merlot, syrah or a zin.

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

That's OK. We do those too... not quite as well as the Aussie reds though but still damned fine.

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I do like the Ravenswood Zinfandel. Tho I've also just discovered a very reasonable Fetzer Chardonnay/Pinot Grigio which is surprisingly drinkable for the price (at least over here!)

What a bizarre law tho - what happened if you were in a state with no vineyards? And what happened if you ordered groceries online and tried to add a few bottles of wine?

Thank goodness there wasn't an equivalent law in the UK - I've tried a few OK English wines but not many!

10. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Sorry Blue Velvet but I like my Aussie reds- D'Arenberg is the best.
    Could the vineyards ship internationally before but not across State lines? The law was aimed at protecting wholesalers right? How dumb? At least it's gone now.

11. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Don't know, but it wasn't consistent in all states. I live in Maryland, where you couldn't order it, but Virginia, right next door, you could.

Just happy - the online prices are much cheaper than the liquor stores, and definitely more choice. My favorite wine store won't stock some of the hottest wines out there because they tasted them and deemed them "no good." Snobs. Fine I'll order it online now.

12. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I don't think they could ship internationally either. The whole thing is an absolute mess. Problem is, alcohol is regulated individually by the states. So in North Carolina, we have all sorts of inane laws like state-run stores for hard liquor sales, no alcohol sold before noon on Sunday, etc. In some parts of Texas, there are still "dry" counties, with no alcohol sold whatsoever. In other places, you must be a member of a "club" to be served liquor (though generally becoming a "member" is as easy as paying $1 "dues" and filling out a membership card).

13. craigdawg macrumors 6502

You could still get out-of-state wines...just not online.

I was in Manhattan recently at a wine bar/bistro thinking I could try some Hudson Valley wines and to my surprise there weren't any on the wine list. Most of the wines were from California and Washington state. So strange...

14. doumbek macrumors member

This is truly a great day

It has been a long time coming for the final vestiges of prohibition to start to come to an end.

I have been following this for a long time, and to clear things up for a lot of you non-Yanks out there; there are a lot of bizarre liquor laws out there that can vary from county to county within the state, and even to individual towns within the county.

While it was possible to ship wines from a vintner to yourself, you would have to first ship it to a licensed distributor first then pick it up from the wholesaler or have it delivered to a local wine merchant. And if you don't have a liquor license (which is most everyone) that just leaves the local wine merchant. So for all those who would go on a wine tour on vacation, it would cost a substantial mark up to get your wine shipped back home, not to mention the amount of hoops that the winery would have to jump through, therefore making it impossible for small wineries to ship out of state unless they had a reciprocal agreement with the state they wanted to ship to.

And technically, bringing the wine home with you via airplane or driving was also illegal. Yes people, even driving it through dry counties in your home state without proper documentation is considered bootlegging. To ship wine that you bought legally in New York and have had in your own personal cellar to your new home across the country in California required a special permit.

Anyways to make this insane post end , I will just have to say yea to the Supreme Court for upholding the interstate commerce clause.

15. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

nah, that will be when they abolish the numbingly insane provision that you can't buy alcohol on sundays before noon (in NY). not even beer at the grocery store.

16. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Sorry to rain on the party, but I think that it is time for a national state sales tax on online/mail type of orders. I am all for lower prices on goods, but the current laws that rely on those to report out of state purchases is just not working.

My thought is to have the national state sales tax set at the average for all states that collect it. If a state does not have sales tax, then none would be collected. It would be based on your state in which you reside in. Some states would get more than they usually would, and some less -= but in the end as we grow in to an internet driven marketplace, the services would not suffer as a result.

17. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Drop my income tax, and I'd happily pay a national sales tax on everything I purchase. It is already insane what they rape us for on liquor and gasoline.

18. doumbek macrumors member

You are quite right my dear friend. I meant one less crazy law. I live in PA as of this moment, and the liquor laws here are crazy with a capital Q for Quaker. No offense to Quakers, I have no idea if they put all these laws on the books, or not. I can't buy beer and wine in the same store, much less a six pack at the beer distributor they only sell it in cases or kegs. I have to go to a bar and pretend I'm buying it as food to go.

19. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

AND MY BIGGEST PET PEEVE...

I can't buy wine or beer in the grocery store...one more stop to make.

Duh.

20. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Hmmm - I , and most of the other Brits on here, will disagree strongly on that statement :D but we can at least buy alcohol before 12, and in the grocery store - if that's a good thing.

21. doumbek macrumors member

Same here in the mighty P to the A.

The only good thing about Arizona is that you can buy beer, wine, and liquor in one stop at the Grocery store. And yes, you do need to be very drunk to live in that heat. Trust me, that "but it's a dry heat" thing is absurd. When it's 100 degrees at midnight that's just crazy hot.

22. emw macrumors G4

emw

Must not have been an issue in Illinois - we've been receiving quarterly wine shipments from a place in California for about 7 years now. Mmm. May need to break out a bottle tonight just to celebrate.

23. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Well, true, you guys do get the ass taxed out of you over there, no doubt. :(

24. doumbek macrumors member

Yep, each state is different. You are one of the lucky ones that had "treaties" between those particular states. But not all states are included, so even if you could get wines from Cali , that doesn't mean you could get them from all wine producing states. You have to go to the liquor board and see which states are on the list.

Now, if this ruling sticks, the rest of our poor fermented grape juice deprived states can join you.

And by the way, I just happen to live in PA wine country. :eek: Stop laughing out there....there really is such a thing. vino