Those Mystery Box auctions on eBay

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Sdashiki, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

What does everyone think about those auctions that say $10,000 guaranteed. Ive seen high bids go up over thousands of dollars, on what is in essence (according to the auction clearly) A BOX, and nothing more.

Legally, anything said in those auctions means nothing except for the part where it says "You are bidding on a box, nothing more. anything in the box is a gift".

How can people do this?

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

My prediction is that crap like that will be shut down by eBay quickly, since it's essentially gambling.

3. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Only a complete fool would bid on such things. Ebay is so lazy about punishing scammers though, there are so many of them.

4. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

It sounds suspicious to me. I think I smell organized crime of some sort -- smuggling or money laundering -- in this.

5. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Amen! I mean... a Virgin Mary grilled cheese sandwich?? C'mon!! :p

6. Sdashiki thread starter macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

i dont mean read what I said, I meant have you SEEN them yourselves?

like this one

this one

and this

I look into them a bit, check the sellers feedback and see 100% positive, even on the prior mystery auctions.

or the WOOHOOMYSTERYMAN auctions, that are PURE crap and go for $50 or more. And I think its all because they make a WYSIWYG piece of crap HTML auction and get featured on some oddball auction listing site. its bs, i want some of that $!

To be honest, ebay doesnt shut them down because they arent doing anything wrong. they state you are bidding on a box.

i just dont know HOW people can do this without guilt? Cuz if there is a foolproof way to get someone to bid $1000+ on something that cost me $50 or less, im down.

7. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    It's called Capitalism. As long as they state that all you're bidding on is the box,a nd anything isnide it can be considered a gift, they are not in the wrong. Sounds like a good plan to make money to me.

8. Sdashiki thread starter macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

but why do people not leave nasty feedback afterwards?

spending $1000 on a box of shredded money is kinda crappy.

lots of auctions say "its for the rush"

but I think its for the money, and again I WANT A PIECE.

9. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    You can't leave nasty feedback if someone provided you the product that you purchased. They guarantee you a box. As long as you get that box, anything inside is a "gift." Therefor negative feedback could be argued by the seller, and the seller could easily win.

10. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

The thing to do, if you're opposed to this "Mystery Box" thing, is to report the offending auctions to eBay and let them deal with it if they consider it to be a problem. eBay has traditionally come down on anything that could be considered to be a "cheat", such as people trying to sell their own souls (which presumably you could do more than once), their virginity, or other items in which there may be deception involved.

11. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

some people bid crazy amounts and refuse to pay as an easier and more effective way of shutting them down.

12. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

And that'll earn you negative feedback and maybe get your eBay account shut down.

I think eBay just needs to do a better job of policing their auctions to make sure crap like this isn't being sold.

13. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

But there is no deception involved. They're selling something as advertised --- a box. There's nothing wrong or illegal about this, only weird people who buy it.

15. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

But selling a box that may, or may not, contain something would be considered to be a game of chance in many jurisdictions. In other words, it could be considered gambling. And without any mechanism to ensure that some boxes DO contain more than advertised, it falls into the category of a con, if you ask me.

But I agree that anyone who buys one of these mystery boxes is probably an idiot.

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

But the box is what's on sale, and anything you get with the box is just a bonus. As long as the seller is very clear that what he's selling is the box, there should be no real problem.

But if he's making it out to be like one of those Apple mystery bags sold at Apple Store openings where they guarantee $500 worth of stuff inside for a price of $250, then THAT is a game of chance because you might get a bunch of stuff that isn't worth much to you.