those of you with a 15 inch pb, whats it like carrying around?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Sakino, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Sakino macrumors member

This weekend I plan on purchasing a 15 inch pb for school, before I leave for spring semester. I was wondering is it a pain to carry around?

2. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

You might wanna look at the new 12" powerbook. :)

3. Sakino thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I know, but I guess I want a bit of luxary to it also? I'm a comp sci major, and also webdesign. I don't think the 12 inch is going to be good for those two options. I wish they updated the 15 inch this time also. I'm just wondering if you guys take it with you on a regular basis, and does it get to be a pain?

4. zaphoyd macrumors regular

I have a 15 inch powerbook. I take it everywhere. Get a good study case for it and it should be fine. I also do comp sci and web design stuff, and one thing im always looking for is more monitors to plug into. I would not suggest a 12 inch powerbook, after using 1280 resolution, 1024x768 is just painful to use. two full pages on one screen is a must for me now. I dont find the size any problem. The 15 inch powerbook is perfect in all but two areas. A it is a radio wave black hole. if you want a comp that is usable with airport DO NOT GET A TITANIUM POWERBOOK. i repeat do not get a titanium powerbook. Second, yes the paint does come off if you scratch or drop it.

5. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

What about a 14" iBook? Nice and durable and ... collegey.

6. Sakino thread starter macrumors member

Why do you say that about the airport? I plan on using airport on campus, in certain locations, is it that bad?

7. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

I hear it is pretty miserable, yes. The aiBooks have much better airport reception, as good as the iBook.

8. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'm on my second TiBook, and I've kept both of mine in a case. I don't find it's a pain to carry around though. I wouldn't recommend not carrying it in something protective, esp. if u are using it for school & such.

I'd look into the 12" model if u need it for school. I'd be willing to bet it fits easier in most cases & backpacks than the 15" model. ;)

9. Xero macrumors 6502

treat it well and it will treat you well

i have a 1ghz 15in powerbook, and its really not a pain to carry around at all. if you take good care of it, it will look and perform like new for years to come. what i have for carrying is a waterfeild sleeve case and a plain old Jansport backpack [for that inconspicuous "no, theres NOT a $2500 laptop in my backpack" look], and its plenty of protection. the 15" PB really isnt that "huge" for carrying around as some people seem to think [and looks even more portable with the release of the 17" PB]. if i had waited to buy my PB after the 2 new models came out, id still buy the 15" TiPB, because its full featured for what i and most other people NEED [im pretty sure not many at this point NEED 802.11g or firewire 800] in a powerbook, and its a good in between size thats more than suitable for portability. id say go for it, unless you really dont need it in the near future and can wait until they revise the 15" Tibook to an AlBook.

10. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

The one thing I can say is that the case makes the difference. I have a Targus leather case, a Brenthaven beauty with a sleeve, and a Lapdog. I never use the leather case anymore because it weighs more than the computer, and you have to open it up, take the computer out, find a place to put it, and then use the computer out of the bag. Same with the Brenthaven, except, with the sleeve, it's even worse. God forbid I'd drop my computer when I was getting it out of the case.

The lapdog (and other bags by www.sjdesign.com) are incredible. They are light, durable, and most importantly, you don't have to take the computer out of the bag to use it. I take my lapdog, put it on my lap, unclick to clips, pop it open, flip back a protective flap, open my computer, and voila, I'm working. There are nonslip surfaces for your lap and the computer, and I've had it at about a 45 degree angle, and it never budged.

They now have a new feature with their laptrap. It apparently has built in "risers" to give you airflow under the computer.

I'm telling you, check out the lapdog, laptrap, and the other bags they have. I've tried a lot of bags, and those are by far the best.

11. digitalgiant macrumors regular

Get what you want

but I say get a 15 inch. I have a 667 and will be getting the 1ghz later this week. Its not a big computer. Its tough, I just put mine in my backpack and off I go. The paint is coming off,, but thats how I know its mine. On a side note, way to go apple!! I just got a job converting 5040 35mm slides to DVD. Its going to be so much easy with the new iApps. I love it.

12. dubbelhund macrumors member

I just got the 1 GHz a couple of weeks ago and I absolutely love it. I do not at all feel jealous of the new 12 & 17" Powerbooks. I just came back from the Apple store opening in Pasadena where they had the new 12" Powerbook on display. I think it was a very clever move on Apple's behalf, but when it comes to the 12" PB, the people that seem most likely to need it are journalists, travelling photographers etc. If you do web stuff I would get the 15". The 12" looks very much like the ibook except the keys are in a butt ugly silver gray color. I'm not too fond of the exposed connectors on the side either. One good thing with the new PB's is that they are supposed to have much better airport reception. Also remember that with the smaller size (12") you also get a smaller HD, smaller graphics card, slower CPU, etc. As far as cases I highly recommend www.Timbuk2.com. (look for custom laptop sleeves) These guys makes hardcore messengerbags and thick custom sleeves for ibooks and PB's. :)

13. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

I am a real estate finance analyst who happens to do some programming and web design as a hobby on his Rev. B 550 Mhz TiBook. The notebook weighs almost 6 pounds and has not been a pain to carry, especially considering that my previous laptop was a 8 pound Dell Inspiron. The 12-inch TiBooks and iBooks are definitely lighter, but like you, I don't think the reduced screen size is an acceptable trade-off. Several things you might want to consider:

Get a good bag that will protect your +$2k investment. Avoid those ugly black rectangle computer bags--they scream "laptop, laptop, steal me!!!" I bought a Trager Courier bag from TomBihn (check it out here). I know that Brenthaven also has a deal with certain schools to sell discounted bags. Check your school's computer store.

Put a sheet of paper or get some kind of protective sheet to place on your keyboard. I think this problem was fixed on the Rev. C TiBooks, but the keyboard's keys tended to press against the LCD. No serious harm is really done, of course, but you don't want a design flaw to mar the beauty of your laptop. :D

14. dubbelhund macrumors member

One more thing. I picked up this brilliant display protector from www.radtech.us. It doubles as a microfibercloth that you can clean the screen with. Often the screen will have marks from the keyboard so this product is great (and cheap!). Its called ScreensavRz and you can get them with or without print. Highly recommended! :)

15. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i took my TiBook everywhere, to and from college all of last year and it's fine. i just threw it in my backpack with that plastic sleeve that it came with. it's pretty easy to travel with, not much bigger than A4, so it fits easily with books, documents etc.

you do have to look after it, but if you're not stupid with it it'll be fine.

16. demagalhaes macrumors newbie

tibook rules

i have the 500 Mhz TiBook since april 2001 and it is a marvel, flawless and elegant but i will get the 17 inch powerbook cause i need more horsepower and space.

but the design of the TiBook is better than the 17, i like the ports covered

17. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Re: Get what you want

I love how Mac users rationalize defective products :)

18. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

I recommend two things -

1. www.timbuk2.com, as mentioned earlier..........NO ONE makes better sleaves or messenger bags (and grab a companion bag, not messenger bag........the companion is more functional)

2. AppleCare is ALWAYS good ESPECIALLY on a Ti!

19. arnette macrumors 6502

arnette

since we're talking bags now

Would you say that the Timbuk2 laptop sleeve is better than the Marware neoprene sleeve?

I like that little commuter bag, but the laptop sleeves don't zip up!

20. Macpoops macrumors 6502

AS far as carrying it around i would liken it to carrying around a 3 subject notebook. It is a bit bigger but a 3 subject is close, atleast in my opinion. As far as a case i have a Brenthaven Ti 2 backpack and love it. If your going to school you can kill 2 birds with one stone by getting the Ti 2. I use it as a replacement for my old backpack and just take out the laptop sleeve when i don't want to carry the computer with me. I can keep all my gear aswell as all my books in it.

21. Kid Red macrumors 65816

The 15" gig is fine to carry around, and i don't have any issues with airport at a distance of 40 feet or so but think about this-

The new pBooks are not painted, so they won't scratch. They have airport2 so it'sll be faster. They have better airport reception. The 17" has a lighted keyboard for christ's sake, I am so tempted to ebay my 15" gig that it's crazy.

22. TheMightyG macrumors regular

Hi!

I carry around my 667Mhz Tibook everywhere...and I bike to work 80% of the time. When I bike, the Tibook goes into an Incase sleeve (great!) and when I don't I use a WillowDesign bag. The Tibook fits into a backpack just fine with my change of clothes.
    Agree with the others re: AppleCare.
    Also...the best $$ I spent on this thing was the $20.00 leather screen protector from macsales.com to protect key marks on the screen when its closed.

23. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    i have a rev b tibook and reception is not that bad. in fact, i havn't seen an appreciable difference between it and a pismo and a ibook. maybe you should see if your antenna is plugged in...

24. arnette macrumors 6502

arnette

oooohhh! Leather! Someone's a high-roller! j/k

There are so many bags out there that it's unreal. I'm just a lil' guy so I'm going with Timbuk2's Sweet Pea for my on-order PB 12". I figure that I don't carry too much stuff around and grad school book requirements are slight so I can afford to skip the hefty bag-sized cases and go for something slim and trim. Might have to leave the laptop sleeve behind, though. :confused:

25. Sakino thread starter macrumors member

I think I am going to go with the 15inch for a number of reason. The size is perfect, when you get down to the 12 inch it starts to get a little small for the screen. Second, the 12' does not have the 1MB DDR SRAM Level 3 cache. Finally the 17 inch is to damn big to be carrying around.
    The only thing that is keeping me back is air port extreme, and not understanding how much faster the ram is.
    Anyone care to explain the difference. Is it huge? Small? Can I take the 512MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM and stick it in my 15 inch pb?