those TiBooks really [i]are[/i] impressive!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by shadowfax, Jun 3, 2003.

1. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

wow!

to start off, i have a 2.4 GHz phone that changes channels periodically to avoid monitoring, and this can't be turned off (though you can manually change the channel). so the little bastard knocks me off the net (which i am on via airport) at random.

i was just having a discussion with a friend over AIM that was really serious and important and the thing knocked me off. i was sitting in my bed with the tiBook on the edge with the LCD screen's backside facing the edge, and i spazzed and jumped out of bed to go shout at my mom to change the freaking channel.

as i leapt up, the Tibook caught the bounce and flipped off the bed, landing with the back of the LCD screen on the floor and the other half standing straight up. i had a second of "oh, s**t!" this was a 3.5 foot fall--i just got a new mattress and it is REALLY thick :rolleyes:

the light was still on to the screen, though, i could see as i picked it up. the screen was fine, too, as was everything else. granted this isn't tile floor, but it made a pretty good thud.

i love this thing!

2. illumin8 macrumors 6502

Re: those TiBooks really are impressive!

This probably wouldn't happen to you if you had an AlBook... They fixed the Airport problems with reception on the new models... But it is cool to hear how durable your TiBook is.

3. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

One of my Pismos felt from my suitcase to a stairway or marmol in a mall. It was closed but it went down 3 stairs until it hit the flor, just a minor scratch.

I had half glass of scotch spilled on it too, no problem (because I jumped to turned it upside down).

4. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

Re: Re: those TiBooks really are impressive!

Yes it would. Airport and Airport Extreme uses the 2.4ghz bandwidth. If you use a phone in that same bandwidth, it'll affect your airport connection. That's why I only use 900mhz phones at home :)

As for dropping your Ti, my brother dropped his from the dinner table onto a marble floor. The dog ran by and tripped on the power cord... then BAM! on the floor. Everything was fine :) People give Ti's less credit than they deserve with regards to their durability.

5. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

i really don't think it's a reception issue. the phone knocks every 802.11b device i have had over at my house (my baby and then a couple Dells). the stupid phone is amazing, you don't even get static from the other devices on the same channel. i'm pretty sure its just really a badly done phone that takes over everything.
    yeah. if the phone had a setting to stay on one channel, everything would be fine. there are 11, after all. but because it goes through them, it gets it when it's on the same channel only. it's endurable, i guess. i wish we could go back to 900 MHz. you're an idiot if you think 2.4 GHz phones make a noticeable difference. lol. my parents just refuse to listen though.

6. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

I would be interested to know if you fix this problem. However, I have not come across a solution to the problem. Items that use the same frequency mess each other up + you cant get past that I dont think.

7. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

yeah. but the 2.4 GHz band is not the "frequency" you run at per se. it is a range of friequencies. when my wireless router is on channel 11 and my phone is on channel 2 (no way of knowing for it, but just any channel other than 11), there is no issue. i can use the internet on the wireless connection. but when the phone gets to channel 11, it cuts me off till i hit the "channel" button on the phone. this seems to make it skip the channel.

8. vniow macrumors G4

Re: those TiBooks really are impressive!

Hmmm....doesn't look like vBulletin supports vB code in post subjects..[​IMG]

9. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: Re: those TiBooks really are impressive!

thanks for noticing :rolleyes: it was the first thing i saw when my thread was posted but there is nothing you can do about it, so oh well. i didn't think it worth mentioning.

10. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

but yr tibook's fall is. i've got to agree with you- for such a small package (with thin skin, i might add) it's a sturdy piece of work. i dropped mine from 5 feet onto a throw rug-covered basement floor. the battery popped out, and it suffered a little cosmetic damage, but the machine and it's innards are intact and functioning perfectly.

11. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Slitely off topic, my Tibook has a lot of paint bubbles over the DVDrom drive and I am very clearful with it, is there any paint that I can use to repaint the paint that is coming off or could I get it repaired by Apple since it is still under warranty.

12. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

paint bubbles? did it come with them? that sounds really messed up. if it came with them, you can almost definitely get it fixed free as a manufacturing defect. even if it didn't, bubbling sounds like a defect rather than a scratch (which is not covered by the warranty). you should DEFINITELY ask about that.

i have used TiPaint. it works OK for minute scratches, but you can still see where they were :(. you will not be able to get rid of bubbles with any paint very well. it will look all patchy.

13. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

wow, i never knew a TiBook could take a drop like that. i mean i knew that a 1-1.5 foot fall wouldn't crack it in two or anything, but that is really good, or just lucky. ;) :D

i also noticed the vB code in the post subject... i thought that itlaics had to be with a capital "I" for it to work... i'll try it next time i post something.:p :)

14. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

yeah, i was seriously impressed with my ti. i have just been pissed about the cosmetic issues that force me to be so darn careful, so i never realized what careful attention they paid to the inner workings of the structure. this thing is so solid. you can feel it when you pick it up with one hand. it stays totally rigid, not even a popping noise of it "adjusting" itself.

the vB code is not case sensitive. i use the lower case all the time. i find it much faster to type [ i ] and then [/ i] when i and done emphasizing. it is pretty fluid, as is [u- and [b-ing stuff. for manual quotes, imgs, and html links, i usually just use the vb buttons :)

15. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

yep, you're right about the lower case in the vB code. i just posted a topic and did [ I] but it didn't work. oh well. i always used to do upper case when i was typing it, but it's lower case for me from now on. :D

16. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I got the PB new, if I use it for long periods of time doing processor intensive stuff like imovie the paint starts to bubble a bit due to the heat and then it comes off. I still have a year left on the warranty so I will try and return it just before the warranty runs out.

17. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

OMFG yes! that is terrible and extremely unusual. definitely make them get you a replacement. wow! that is insane. can you post pics?