those ugly clamshells

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by lorenzo, Apr 15, 2005.

1. lorenzo macrumors member

does anyone else cringe when they see those old apple clamshells? ahh, and to think... a few years back they seemed like the coolest.

2. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

ahh...no!

i work in a lab and a temp employee busted out with a lime one and he was there working it on the bench. it was so cool that he was still using it!

btw i do cringe when i see pismo's and wallstreets!

*ducks*

3. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Heck no. I had a blue one and wish I still did. They do look dated now, but dated in a cool way. Dont get me wrong, I wouldnt buy a clamshell one over a new one, but would still grab one if the price was right.

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I've never seen an Apple portable that didn't look good. Heck, I still think my Powerbook 180c looks cool. Tha clamshells are built like tanks - the graphite ones are the best looking too.

The only reason that the multiple-colored computer is out of style is that countless inferior imitations have been flloding the market for years now. Everything that plugs in anymore comes with swappable colored plastic "inserts". Way to beat a once-cool idea into the ground, people. :rolleyes:

5. brap macrumors 68000

I want my graphite monster back. Best form factor ever... *slaps newbie* :eek: :rolleyes: :eek:

6. iLaw macrumors newbie

If I had more money than sense I would start collecting all the colours for no reason, shame I have the opposite.

7. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Actually, I mis-spoke in my previous post. It was a grphite one that I had. Beautiful. I remember seeing the green ones and thinking the were ugly as sin, but then after I had the graphite one for a while, I started thinking how much more of a statement the green one made. "Hey look at me, I'm cool." I guess that could be good or bad...

8. iGary Guest

iGary

I'm looking for one for my collection.

Haven't found the right graphite one for the money on Ebay yet. :D

9. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Nope - I wish Apple would bring back some color to its lineup.

If I could get my hands on a cheap/donated clamshell iBookSE (especially the lime green one), I'd be thrilled! A modest investment in a bigger HDD and I'd still be proud to tote one of these around.

10. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

I bought a graphite 500mhz one last year off ebay for about $510 because i needed a travel book for pic's email, dvd's and so on. I sold it 9 months later for the same exact price.

11. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

I had a Lime one for a few weeks, and it bugged me that it had such a low res...
    if it had the res of the 12" iBook now I would have kept it to use for on location work...
    so I sold it again (even tough it was cute) and I'm waiting for funds to get a 12" iBook or Powerbook to use on location, now I lend a friends iBook whenever I really need one...
    1024x768 is the minimum space I need to use nikon capture & editor on-the-road all the 'big' stuff I do afterwards on my G5 anyway, so the lower processor & ram weren't a probem...
    and it did run Panther...

12. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

Silver and white are so much sexier

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I have to agree. The clamshells are not so cool. All that wasted plastic around the screen! Bad design, I have to say.

14. ----Bowie---- macrumors regular

Wasn't the plastic on the sides there to hide the AirPort antennas?

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Did that antenna really need THAT much space? :)

16. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    a friend of mine has all the clamshells. he has then all displayed on a shelf. he also recently picked up what he thought was just a normal clamshell just because (he already had that model and color of course :rolleyes: ) and it turned out to be an Apple prototype clamshell. awesome find if i've ever seen one.

17. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

i got my ibook 300 in jan 2000 & I use it every day for internet & email. The best thing about it is the handle, makes it so easy to cary. I may get a new ibook soon, but only if the new ibooks are widescreen! :D

18. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

My wife still uses our graphite iBook 466 SE everday. It is long in the tooth, but it works. No point in buying another one just for email and browsing. Besides, she doesn't know it's slow.

19. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

YES I also cringe when I see them! If I came accross a cheap one(like < $100) I might jump at it just cuz I could use a laptop. But personally they make wanna vomit.

20. IanC macrumors regular

21. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

there great!!!

my mom hada chose a clamshell or a desktop when they were both new,she chose the desktop,it was the crapest computer we ever had!!!! she uses it for wor that it,its crap.Not getting the ibook still hurts me :(

THE clam shells look so differnt ,so not like m$ computers something that apple laptops haev now but not as much

22. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I thought they were ugly when first released. RDF does not work on me, neither does Jedi mind tricks or Vulcan mind melds, but that is beside the point.

The point being, Apple sold more of the white iBooks than they ever sold of the clamshell design. They got caught up in the whole candy-colored iMac phenomenon. The current white iBooks are very good-looking, slim, and minimalist. But I do believe the AL PBs are by far the best looking Apple laptop ever. How they can top this design, I'm eager to see.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I agree. I bet you we get a widescreen next along with the 12" PB. :)

24. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Hey all, I'm writing this very post on my iBook 366 :) Ich liebe es! It's graphite and was my first mac back in April 2000. It really is great.

Now I have my G5 PowerMac and using this thing can be a bit slow, but it still gets the job done. The form factor still looks cool when I see people use it on theirs desks around my house. The ONLY thing wrong with it is the screen res. 800 x 600 just doesn't cut it at all. It's good enough for my mum tho! I'd never ever sell it as it was my first mac.

25. Greencardman macrumors 6502

People still use those things? Wow. I don't like them either, but my friend has one at home that just sits there. Got it from work, cause it didn't work, but I think it only needs new RAM. Do they have airport cards inside them? I suppose it might be fun to put new ram in it and see how it works. I'm not sure the battery charges either, but the power cord is there. What do you think, worth it to buy ram to get it running, or just let it sit there? How do you tell how fast it is without turning it on?