Those who have Tiger alread...

Discussion in 'Games' started by JzzTrump22, Apr 25, 2005.

1. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    Have you noticed any improvements in gaming speed? Are games running more smoothly? I know it's still early and no one has really had a chance to seriously use this OS yet. But for those that have had experience please post, thanks!
  2. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    You'll be disappointed. OpenGL hasn't been updated.
  3. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Jan 26, 2005
    Thats pretty disappointing to hear, but I'm okay with game performance right now.
  4. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    So am I, but it would be nice to see an improvement.
  5. benpatient macrumors 68000

Nov 4, 2003
    i've seen no gaming improvements, and honestly, not much of a speed boost. certainly not the 50-70% general speed improvements that I've been reading about. I was disappointed because only my start-up time seems to have sped up. The UI isn't any more responsive than it was. OS 9 was faster on my G3...I've gotten used to it being that way, but that doesn't mean a little speed-up wouldn't be nice.

I guess that only happens with slower macs, because that's where I've been reading about it, mostly. People with G3s, slower G4s, say it's much faster...I can't say that it's sped up at all, honestly...

and certainly not in games. Virtually unchanged. I am hoping that more programs will integrate with spotlight soon, because right now it's sort-of more like a toy than anything else. You still can't ADD metadata to stuff through the finder...just search through already-existing stuff. Which is good, but hardly a landmark change. I generally just get too many random results for a search, now. Lots of PDF and email results...which is fine, but not what I usually want. I remember Panther being a much bigger deal when I installed that. Whatever changed under the hood, it's not really effecting me one way or the other. Except that bittorrent quit working and i am having new font problems that aren't cool.
  6. supergod macrumors 6502

Jul 14, 2004
    I must say, Tiger is a big let down, especially compared with the update we got on Panther: expose is in my opinion one of the most intuitive parts of the OS, as long you use hot corners instead of the keyboard.

Widgets seem half baked at best: the interface is a bit ugly (not up to Apples standards) and I can see getting only limited use out of the whole thing. I know that's sort of the idea, but it still seems like a total waste of technology for the sake of technology.

Spotlight is a very solid idea, but boy can it get annoying, even compared to the older finder search. It doesn't normally search in the Libraries: to find a file within the library you have to select the library folder and then do a spotlight search. It's really annoying when Apple makes you add steps to your daily routine (for instance, deleting an app and wanting to delete all the support files) by making you use their technology the way they want you to. It's the same as their new Safari: nice RSS, but why all the weird changes. The highlighting is totally messed up and ugly and simply wastes time. To save an image to a specified folder other than the Downloads folder you need to hold down an extra (alt/option) button.

No more stripes: YAY! TONS more interfaces: yay...whimper. It's not that they clash: it's that they don't mesh.

And now I'm done whining for now.
  7. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    Based off of what your saying, i hope they send out some updates fast. How long does it usually take apple to send out the first update for an OS?
  8. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

May 18, 2003
    How exactly do you spotlight a particular folder?
  9. SteveC macrumors 6502

Jul 7, 2003
    Actually, you're just reading someone's opinion, which I'm sure supergod will agree with me saying. :) Don't be let down based on one person's opinions and review. Don't hang on every word.

I and many people think Tiger rocks. :cool: Your decision on whether to use Tiger or Panther should be exactly that: YOUR decision. Use it. See if you like it better. Base your decision on that.
  10. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    Ok, thanks.
  11. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Feb 1, 2005
    I think we all expected too much of Tiger, that's why some think that Tiger's improvements in speed are insignificant.
  12. MacRy macrumors 68040

Apr 2, 2004
    What kind of system are you running it on? I have a G4 800Mhz iBook and a G4 700MHz iMac and i'm kind of hoping that i see the kind of performance that you mention.
  13. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

Feb 4, 2004
    Florida Resident
    Perhaps Tiger isn't for end users yet.

I am excited to get Tiger for it's developer aspects. Even open up money making opportunities for those that have some ideas for some new apps and the possibility that the marketshare could increase greatly in the next 3 years for a larger customer potential.

Maybe Tiger out of the box on day will be a disappointment for most people but I feel the best is yet to come in the next 12 months. Tiger on day one will be for developers.

Also I have a million files and emails that I need to refer to for work. It takes time away from doing real work when I have to search for something. Hopefully Quicktime 7 will also allow me to add my Metadata to find my movies too. Dashboard will help me keep my dock from getting too full of those little utility apps and get more use out of my tiny 17 inch monitor. Also I can see Dashboard freeing up more memory compared to running the equivalent apps normally. I look forward to having a better quality video with iChat AV with my parents that live on the other side of the country and talking to multiple family members in the same conference call and still without paying a dime on long distance charges.

I am sorry to hear about Open GL still the same. I haven't played Doom much because I was disappointed in the framerate.
  14. iindigo macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Are you kidding?! I'm running Tiger final on a 1Ghz iMac G4 wit 768MB RAM, which is certainly no slouch, and the speed improvements are pretty drastic. I'll have to ask as well: what machine was it running on?

As for Spotlight, I've really gotten used to having any of my files at the snap of a finger, it's really nice.
  15. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Feb 1, 2005
    Actually, I don't remember any apple member saying that Tiger will run faster any existing game.

They said that Tiger will provide development capabilities that will be useful in later apps.

So, we can't expect anything to change right now...
  16. Poff macrumors 65816

Sep 16, 2003
    Stavanger, Norway
    Seems the main improvement w/Tiger is in completeness and some extra features. Like spotlight and dashboard, which should come in very handy.
  17. Symtex macrumors 6502a

Jan 27, 2005
    I have a PM G5 SP 1.8ghz and installing tiger improve the speed of the OS by at least 30-40%. Everything runs very smooth.

Now the bad part, it had no effect on WoW framerate. Game are not optimized yet for Tiger and I don't think we will see improvement soon.
  18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    I guess you missed the Doom 3 benchmarks where Tiger performance drastically improved.
  19. JamSoft macrumors member

Jun 30, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    DOOM 3

Here are my results.

PowerMac G5, Dual 2.5Ghz
    4GB RAM
    GeForce 6800 Ultra
    256MB VRAM

they can also be viewed here: < >

Mac OS X 10.3.8
    Enable Shadows: Yes, Enable Specular: Yes, Enable Bump Maps: Yes, Vertical Sync: No, Antialiasing: Off
    several cache tweaks (shouldn't affect fps).
    DEMO1 score is when both CPU's are enabled,
    DEMO2 score is when 1 CPU has been turned off via CHUD tools. (both FPS are from the second demo run)
    In this current version, dual CPU's actually SLOW down FPS.

DEMO1: 37.1 fps
    DEMO 2: 46.7 fps

Mac OS X Tiger (10.4)
    Enable Shadows: Yes, Enable Specular: Yes, Enable Bump Maps: Yes, Vertical Sync: No, Antialiasing: Off
    No other tweaks, Both CPU's are enabled ( FPS are from the second demo run)

DEMO1: 50.9 fps
  20. Striderdm1 macrumors regular

Oct 24, 2003
    same'ish here also.. i dunno wot those guys above are on! ;)
    Within Panther my Doom3 benchmarks where always around 44fps and now i get 53fps (no shadows @ 1280x1024, everything else on in HIGH vid mode). Though i've "only" a dual 2ghz G5, not a 2.5! With shadows on i'm getting around 45 (iirc) compared to 38 with panther.
    I'm happy.. could be happier tho - come on apple with tiger 10.4.1 ! ;)))
  21. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

Feb 4, 2004
    Florida Resident
    I bet people that get the same results with Doom with Panther and Tiger are the same people with stock memory. People you need a Gig at least.
  22. stubeeef macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    but now will there be the ever handy "tiger for dummies" book for folks like me (like there really r any like me, but I digress....)
  23. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Feb 1, 2005
    I hope those improvements are notable with my 9600xt in my dual g5
  24. MyLeftNut macrumors regular

Dec 15, 2002
    Melbourne, Australia
    I for one will go to our local reseller and stare at the Tiger boxes and then wait another few weeks before buying...but I will install it. Too many unknowns at this stage...

BTW...stubeef, can you change your tar, its really giving me nightmares...damn thats ugly!...hehe. :p
  25. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    I have a question about Tiger and the OS X updates in general. What's the point of a family pack? I could install my copy of Panther on however many computers I wanted (though I only installed it on two).