Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

damado

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Just picked it up and pushed the bottom button and nothing happened.

I tried hitting every button and nothing, hooked it up to the wall charged, the computer, nothing.

Finally I just held the bottom button and the top button and finally a little silver apple showed up on the screen after about 5+ seconds of holding both buttons down. Then my custom backgound showed up with the slider and everything appears normal.....wierd though.

Battery was at half charge.

Has this happened to anyone?

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
Just picked it up and pushed the bottom button and nothing happened.

I tried hitting every button and nothing, hooked it up to the wall charged, the computer, nothing.

Finally I just held the bottom button and the top button and finally a little silver apple showed up on the screen after about 5+ seconds of holding both buttons down. Then my custom backgound showed up with the slider and everything appears normal.....wierd though.

Battery was at half charge.

Has this happened to anyone?

Same thing happened to me...I had to look on the apple website to try and figure out how to restart it. Lets hope it doesn't happen EVER again. I was quite nervous.

badtzmaru

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
its possible you turned it off, or it got turned off accidentally. But who knows for sure! if it happens again, i would say you have a battery problem.

permie

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2007
slider problem?

I was having problems unlocking my phone but just tried rebooting after reading this same forum. Held both top and bottom buttons for a few seconds and it seemed to work. Hopefully I won't encounter any further problems.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
it happened to me a few days ago. i thought the iphone ran out of battery, as it was close to being drained. but going home, plugging it in did nothing. panic set in, but i looked up how to do a hard reset, and it turned on. the iphone's been working fine since (fewer crashes even).

slvasf

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2007
just happened to me too

thanks to this forum, I figured out how to get it going again, but it had been charging for quite a while (like hours) and it's only about 2/3 charged...any thoughts? Does it take up a lot of batt power to do the double-button routine?

attadj

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
Happened to me the other day while listening to the ipod. Just quit and appeared dead. Very concerning that this is happening. It wasn't warm to the touch when it happened either and the battery was charged.

saganich

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2007
Hello,
Mine died as well this morning while listning to music. The song ended and the next song didn't start. The battery was fully charged and upon restart remained so. Thanks to damado all is well again:)

thepopasduck

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2007
Marlton NJ
Iphone comes back

I just had my Iphone appear to drop dead also but I followed the advice above and it came back to life. Has anyone else loss the large screen that displays the battery charging?
T

djhart

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2007
yes, mine died while the battery was charging. suddenly got black screen of death. but followed the advice on this thread to press top and bottom buttons together, which brought up the silver apple icon and then straight to home (no unlocking). what's interesting is that it was charging the whole time while black, because the battery was dead before I plugged it in, and then it went black, and since I could not get it on I just left it plugged in, and after I read this thread and got it back on less than an hour later, it was almost fully charged.

konerusreeram

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2007
Thought My iPone dead

same thing happened. thanks for the info. But has any one came to know why this is happening. I don't want to be wasting 600bucks if this happens after 1yr and apple regects my claim to replace it :(

scotty588

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Very odd I had this happen for the first time right now. The phone said please charge so when I got home I put it in the dock and when I came back a couple hours later I tried to turn it on and nothing would work. I did what the OP said and pressed the home and sleep button and it finally turned on. Thanks for the tip.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I had this happen to me a couple days ago also. I hope that this doesn't happen often, it was not fun thinking that something really bad had happened to my phone.

acefifty

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2007
San Antonio
Just happened to me

The same thing happened to me . mine locked up in Safari. I didnt know how to do a reset until I saw your post and it worked!

rmmasi

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
Tanzania, Dodoma University
iPhone touch screes does not responding

Since yesterday , my iPhone touch screen was not responding I thought my iPhone was deed but fortunately enough I just press the botom button (Home buttom) together with the power buttom for few seconds. Then the silver screen appeared with apple logo after 5 seconds everything was at normal.

I am so happy again.

vicki2314

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2006
Texas
similar thing happened to me....

i was moving around apps and deleted one when my screen flickered and the touchscreen went dead. nothing worked so i held down the home key and the power key and the screen with the silver apple came up and it just froze. i hooked it up to my imac and still nothing happened. after about 10 minutes the screen finally changed but i couldn't slide it to unlock and the home button/reset wasn't working either. i ended up resetting the whole phone through itunes and the phone was back up and running except for all my apps. every single app wouldn't open so i had to delete them and reinstall and now everything is fine.

gave me a good scare!

jostle

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2008
iphone died

Thanks for post

Had same problem and sorted it using your tip - took about 10 seconds of holding two buttons and then a minute of two with silver apple on screen - came back to life with nothing lost. I noticed two missed calls so the phone could only have been sleeping.

musatariq

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2008
thank you!

just wanted to say, this exact thing happened to my 3g so just wanted to thank u, cause i was a bit worried! seems fine now!

jonik

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2008
Helsinki
Happened to my iPhone 3G too, out of the blue, when I wasn't using it. I actually tried resetting it by holding both buttons pressed - I just didn't know you have to do that for 10 seconds before it resets. But once it did restart, everything was fine again.

trajansburton

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2008
This happens to me alot. Once it happened and I reset it, them I had to reset it AGAIN. By the way I have a 2gen 8 gb

jeannern04

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2009
iphone died

Thank you damado!

My iphone 3g 2.0 less than 2 weeks old was FULLY charged. I hit the bottom button to check my email. The main screen appeared and the "slide to unlock bar" appearedas normal. When I went to slide the bar to unlock- it wouldn't move/slide. Then screen went BLACK!!!!! AHHHHHHHH!!!!

I FREAKED- went into PANIC MODE- started tapping the screen frantically and pushing buttons!! I thankfully was in front of a computer and googled "iphone died" and there you were- my iphone angel !!!!

Saw your post suggestion and I tried holding both top and bottom buttons for about 10 seconds and it still wouldn't turn on. Then tried holding longer approx. 15 seconds and saw the silver apple appear and all looks well. :)

Can't imagine life without my iphone. The thought of it dying was heart breaking. Thank you so much for your post- you saved me a call or trip to at&t. But even more importantly you saved my iphone!!!!!!! Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.