Thoughts about upgrade? D100 to D50

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by revfife, Jan 29, 2006.

1. macrumors regular

revfife

I was wondering if anyone might have thoughts about moving from a d100 which I have presently to the D50. The D50 is a much newer camera and Nikon just recently (Friday from the local photo store) dropped the kit price to $699 est street which is very tempting. I just don't know if I should take the plunge or keep on using my D100. Anyone have any comments or thoughts?

2. macrumors 6502a

javabear90

The D50 uses the same CCD as the D100. It has a plastic body (instead of magnesium) and it does not have the cable release. I am not sure why you would want to upgrade/sidegrade to a D50. What new features are you looking for that your D100 does not have? Instead of going for a new body, I would recommend a new lens. I hear the 18-200VR DX is pretty good.

3. macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Why not consider moving from the D100 to the D200? Or the D70s? Each of those cameras is going to have more in common with your D100 -- more features -- than the D50. You might find that on the D50 you will miss some features that you'd used on the D100. (Without doing a visual or hands-on comparison of those two cameras, neither of which I own, I can't list what those features might be, but I suspect that there are at least a few which are missing from the D50 that are present on the cameras which followed the D100 (D70, D70s, D200) because of the fact that the D50 is targeted towards a different market.

4. thread starter macrumors regular

revfife

Thanks for the replies. Yes you are probably right, money would be better spent at the lens level. Keep on bugging the stores to get in the 18-200 lens. Most people who I have talked to rave about it.

5. macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Well, bug Nikon! We at the stores are just as upset at the new stuff from Nikon not being available.

But good things come to those who wait....