Thoughts of CoD and BF192

Discussion in 'Games' started by jtalerico, Dec 26, 2005.

1. jtalerico macrumors 6502

Which do you guys think is the better game? And why?

2. deadlygopher macrumors member

deadlygopher

i assume you mean bf1942. i don't think we know much about warfare in 192, and we prolly didn't have gunpowder.

i am a bf'42 nerd. it is the best game ever. many good mods too (galactic conquest, desert combat)

3. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

I think they are different in their purposes. But I'd go with CoD for single, BF for multi.

4. jtalerico thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, sorry i ment 1942...

Does CoD have a good Single play mode? I dont like this mutli thing that BF has. Dont get me wrong, it is a good game to play for about 10 minutes.

As far as mods.. I have it for Mac right now.. How do i do the mods? updates and what not? i have the Deluxe Edition, not that it matters. But where is a site for the mods and updates for mac? Thanks

-joe

5. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Its a pity COD2 is not available for Mac... Its pretty good.

As for the original question, i think that BF is better

6. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

COD2 was definitely a fun game. I beat it on the 360 over Tgiving break. Couldn't put it down. I couldn't see playing it multi though.

7. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

BF 1942 runs terrible on my PM G5 single 1.8 with 1.25gb ram AND an X800XT. I get about 2-10fps in places where there are 3 people. Don't buy it, unless it's me.

8. jtalerico thread starter macrumors 6502

How do I test for that? I would be interested in doing a benchmark with this..

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

They're both great games.

CoD has better graphics and more realistic gameplay, but it's very linear.
    BF1942 is much more dynamic in it's gameplay, but the AI is just downright ****ing retarded.

Both games are worth it.

10. jtalerico thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree BF's AI is stupid, i ran up to one of them, and shot them in the face, i did this to like 100bots in one sitting..

What is the custom game option? It seems like it does not do a single thing!!

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well, moving the death ticket sliders and amount of bots and enemies and amount of CPU given to the AI all contribute to a "Custom" game option. I've never found a difference between the 25% max on AI and whatever the minimum is.. the AI is still retarded and I have to do everything myself.

This is particularly annoying playing DC, as on a couple maps your 'teammates' all sit around in a ****ing helo doing nothing. I cannot fly those helos at all.

12. jtalerico thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm.. Yeah this game is getting pretty annoying.. So there is no real way to do these "mods" because i am sick of the same guns!!!

13. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I would say BF1942, unfortunately it plays terrible on Macs, even good Macs.

jon

14. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

agreed

i agree though if u like just the shoot em up part of games vs vehivles then cod rox

15. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

WhiteSavage

How is Bf1942 better then CoD???????!!!

Everything mentioned here that "rox" about BF is almost mirrored in CoD:UO. The only thing CoD lacks is airplanes. But otherwise, they have more options as to single and multiplayer game-play.

Call of Duty has better graphics, runs faster, has exceptional A.I. has a HUGE multiplayer base, has a mod base to equal BF1942, has large AND small maps for whatever you're in the mood for, and for multiplayer gives you much more game-type choices then BF1942 ever did.

BF1942 boars me, I've been playin CoD: UO for almost 2 years now and I'm still having new experiences. I'd suggest the Tactical Realism mod for those who want to spice up the game realism :D

16. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

You also have to remember that this is a bad comparison for the Mac platform. BF1942 is all we have, but if we were to comment on Battlefield 2, then it would be a completely different outcome in my opinion.

As a player of both, all I ever got out of COD was a really fun single player mission, but was also pretty straight forward. Kill and progress. BF1942 could offer me many hours of online play, which would result in a different gaming experience each time.

jon

17. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Single User replayability? Don't get me wrong, I prefer the CoD story and graphics in every way shape and form, but it's VERY linear, where the AI is so bad in BF1942 (plus the mods) it at least has some variation in it's linear play.

18. mkluskens macrumors newbie

Minimum BF1942 requirements

If you are having trouble playing BF1942 then either your computer is messed up or you're going online to a server across on another continent or you haven't bothered to adjust your graphics settings or you have to little RAM in your system.

On my iMac with a 800 MHz G4, 768 MB RAM, running OS X 10.3.9 you have to play with only about 10-12 other players and/or AI's.

On my PowerMac 867 MHz G4, 864 MB RAM, I can handle about 20 other players and/or AI's. I've served two player coop games using this machine and the 800 MHz iMac when it was running OS X 10.3.9. I currently play with this computer running OS X 10.4.3.

In both cases these machines are below the recommended minimum CPU clock speed.

19. mkluskens macrumors newbie

One more thing that will ruin BF1942 when playing on the internet:

CLIENTS
    Set your connection type (under MULTIPLAYER>INTERNET) to reflect HOW you're connecting to the 'net, or one step lower. If you're on a modem, don't have this checked as a LAN...you won't enjoy the experience as much.