Thoughts on 12" Powerbook? Need help...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Collin973, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Collin973 macrumors 6502

I'm looking to buy a 12" Powerbook today and I was hoping for some input for you owners or admirers..Here are the specs:

PowerPC G4 @ 867 MHZ with 640 MB of Ram, Superdrive, 60 GB HDD, Tiger.

Does this sound like a decent machine? Will it handle tiger decently? Is the RAM maxed out? What is a good price for one of these? Will this last me a couple of months till I can get a rev b mbp?

I've been craving a mac since the MBP came out to save me from windows. So, I found a 12" PB online and I'm going to try and get it. I'm hoping it'll give me a good experience to the OS and then I'll probably sell it later on this year. Good plan?

--Sorry, I think i post this thread in another spot...

2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Yeah, it sounds reasonable. I would steer you away from Rev. A 12" PB's, but since you only plan on having it for a few months, I suppose it doesn't matter. The reason I say that is the Rev. A's had heat issues, and they lack a DVI output (which might not matter to you). I have a Rev. B, 1 GHz 12", and I've been more than pleased with it.

I'm not sure about price, but I probably wouldn't pay more than $600 for it.

3. Collin973 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks alot for the quick reponse. Yea, i'm looking forward to getting it. I just wanted something to hold me over till I get my MBP and to play with the tiger alittle...

4. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

If you can't get it for $600-700, spring for a MacBook. They will have good resale value in 2-3 months, compared with a deadweight PowerPC. But the 12" is a beautiful machine, nonetheless.

5. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

Yea, powerpc's are definitely losing their value. I bought a 12 inch powerbook for 1200 last year and now I probably can only get 800 for it if I try hard. Just realize that the resale value may go down pretty quickly if you want to sell it when you get your MBP. Goodluck

6. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

I would not pay more than $500 for it. I got my 1.5/512/superdrive 12" for $800.