thoughts on Automator

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by walkingmac, Jun 29, 2004.

1. walkingmac macrumors 6502

walkingmac

after watching the WWDC video and the topic of the 'Automator" I had a sudden worry. With the 'trojan horse' that was 'discovered' for the mac with an '.mp3' file. As I understand it, it was a danger basically when one app did something to another and exploited an unseen security whole.

Basically, could the new Automator be used to create malicious 'apps' to exploit an unseen security whole in the future? or am I just looking at this wrong or with the wrong info?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Exactly :rolleyes:

3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Automator doesnt do anything that AppleScript doesn't

4. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

I think automater is the top reason I may have found to actually get my dad to switch. He used to love programming on his old Texas instruments back in 1982. He should really dig this.

5. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

I am absolutely going to love Automator. It will really boost some of my productivity. I just wish I had it now, because I am editing a bunch of images right now (over 300), and could use the setup.
    –Chase

6. sethypoo macrumors 68000

True, but will the average consumer every teach themself how to make an AppleScript? This Automator program will bring simple programming to the masses.

Go Apple. :)

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

I've gotta say it: Rise Of The Machines. :D

Man, once I tried to look over on Apple's website for a whole AppleScript workshop that acts like a Java classroom...assigned to program this, program that, etc. to learn many of the basics of the language. But what they had on the site wasn't for learning AppleScript programming...or at least I couldn't learn from that.

Besides, I don't think there's such a thing as simple programming. There's a such thing as simple programming languages, though...

8. DGFan macrumors 6502a

Yes, but from a security standpoint it is unlikely that Automator introduces any new holes beyond what may already exist in Applescript....

9. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

My point was just that if any malicious code could be made with Automator, it could already have been made with Applescript

10. who_m_i macrumors newbie

Automater Replacing Script Editor?

Anyone think that the new Automater is Apple's method of eliminating AppleScript from Mac OS as we know it? This could be the end of the road. I depend on AppleScript to do all the BS I hate doing manually and to pass off data from one app to the other. Automater did not look like it offered much versatility in assigning properties, calling objects, or defining variables like ScriptEditor does now.

Apple can't do this to us.
    Start learning Pearl, boys.

11. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Automator won't be the end to Script Editor or AppleScript. Rather, Automator will provide a huge boost to applescripts, and promote them further. No need to worry.
    –Chase